Thread: New racing bodywork advice

Senior Member Amateur

New racing bodywork advice

I'm wondering what you guys recommend for decent stuff bodywork. I think I'll do the whole bike for next year, SS legal for resale, using stock seat. I don't need high-end but something that will hold up and that zip ties and Zeus clips won't pull right out.

So - who does good fiberglass? Do I drill it or is it pre-drilled? Should I buy it already prepped for paint or let a painter do it? That kind of stuff. I know Cheetah, Airtech and Sharkskinz. Others?

I've searched the forums but keep finding irrelevant search results.

Thanks.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    imo, hands down Sharkskinz is the best quality, and most likely to survive a crash. but... it costs more.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

I went through Ebay and got my used bodywork (Superbike 03 GSXR 1000) for $180 shipped. :lol:

The good: It was drilled, painted and had some neat stickers, had a seat pad, and came with the Dzus stuff.

The bad: It was drilled... had to drill more holes to fit my fairing stay, it didn't come with the seat support ($40 trip to hobbie shop and walmart fixed it).

Just throwing Ebay out there for an option :wink:
    I think different brands from high end names are lighter on the fiber glass compared to generic names/no names being heavy on the fiber glass. I got'em Hotbodies and they feel like when/if they go down it'll tear like paper...
    ... itchy... when it bites....

Senior Member Amateur
    Check with Joe Logalblo #55 he is a dealer for Woodcraft and Armour Bodies. This is the great stuff as well. Their customer service is excellent just ask Rybo.

Senior Member Amateur
    +1 for Armour Bodies.

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm also a big supporter of Armour Bodies. We do most sets for 650.00 shipped.

Senior Member Amateur
    Also, Hotbodies isn't considered a top tier brand in my book, but the last couple of sets we ordered from them have been considerably better than what we've seen in the past. We sell most of their kits for 475.00 shipped.

Senior Member Expert
    So I wrote a whole deal about different kinds of bodywork I've used over the years and put it on the CSC a while back....it's gone now because the CSC server crashed.

To sum up:

of the current brands I agree with Tony, SharkSkinz is really the best of the stuff that's out there right now. It's also really expensive.

My experience with Hot Bodies has been not so good. The parts are thin, don't fit so well...anyways, no where near my first pick.

Armour Bodies on the other hand....The pieces looked very well made, the stuff was flexible and pretty thick and I WISH they would have fit my bike right. That being said, it was one phone call to Woodcraft. I told them about my issue with the fit and they refunded my full purchase price, including shipping and sent a call tag to get the parts back. When the time comes and I have to fit bodywork to another bike, I'll be calling them first.

SharkSkinz sells pre drilled body work, the others you'll have to line up and fit. You can buy Dzus fasteners, or any number of other types that work pretty well. Take the time, fit it up a couple times, then drill. Use some blue painters tape over your drill holes and it will keep the drill from tearing up the bodywork. Once you get done fitting it up, then it's time to prep for paint. I know you've been through the paint drill before.

Hope you get 'er together again soon.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Member Novice
    I like the ebay option. I am not that picky on the up close look of my track bike.

I got a set of non drilled fairings for $150 shipped new. the fit is ok (one little flaw), and I can get 3 sets of generic for the price of one name brand company.

Also, I painted my plastics with sherwin williams auto paint and a true 2 part clear coat in a can for an additional $50.

I am poor and save my $ for track time

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    .. another chime in from a SharkSkinz fan... I haven't used anything else in years so I don't have any comparison info, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    SharkSkinz sells pre drilled body work, the others you'll have to line up and fit. You can buy Dzus fasteners, or any number of other types that work pretty well.
    When I haven't had pre-drilled and mounted fasteners, I've found these clip on fasteners pretty handy.

JohnGarc

Duh, you guys are all wrong...

MotoForza bodywork... Best of all it has carbon/kevlar tabs and is ready to go... Has smooth as glass finish so your paint will look amazing. Plus its the best in the biz... Can you say World Superbike and World Supersport and World Superstock and MOTO 2 riders are using it. Best of all its really reasonable $500 average which includes shipping... And you can buy it for virtually any bike including exotic vintage and gp bikes.

Check out Cheetah, Hot Bodies, and feel the bodywork it flexes like a wet cardboard box... haha

motoforza.cz then click on the 2nd Czech. flag and click on Kapotazy or Old Timer for vintage stuff.

we are working on a US site as of now so we all can order directly from the site. Right now you will have to go through Martin or me. Shipping is 10 days, comes beautifully packaged and is directly to your door.

But hey its just your frame and engine that are damaged from crappy bodywork. and its your bike so who cares!!!!

Contact Martin Jarusek at 303-518-5650

Member Amateur
    +1 for MotoForza

Mounted it with no problems, and I'm a total noob.

Senior Member Expert
    Tom when your ready for the paint job, my dad at PV Motorsports can do the job. You won't be disappointed. PM me if interested.