Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Class Proposal - Ninja 250 Cup

Senior Member Expert
    Joe,

I think we're going to allow riders to swap the front end with that from an older EX500. It should bolt right on and already have a 17" front wheel.

S
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Are EX 500 front ends easy to find?

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Mine was real easy to find! I took it off my EX500. :lol:

There are two on fleabay right now. Here's the link:
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...nd&_sacat=6028

It is believed this is a direct bolt-on conversion, although I have yet to see it. The All Balls Racing website does list the two front ends as being compatible in their database and use the same bearings. I doubt the stack height is different, but I'm hoping to see shortly after the rules for the class have been solidified.

Senior Member Amateur
    Ouch....seems a bit more expensive then a wheel swap. Are there any other advantages?

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    It is actually FAR cheaper because the old EX500 front end is the new 250. The wheel size is different between the two generations of 250's, the forks are 1mm thicker on the new model, and (here's the big one) the brake rotors are different diameters. If you tried to put a new wheel in an old front end, you will need to fit the smaller rotor to the new wheel or re-weld the caliper mounts. You'll also most likely need to make custom wheel spacers and you may need to reposition the front fender.

If you can't do it yourself, you'll end up paying for someone else to engineer and custom machine the necessary parts. You'll also miss out on being able to list your old front end on eBay.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    first round of revision - will bring a printed copy for everyone to the RC meeting on the 17th

** Tony has added to this since Rybo posted it.

Class: Ninja 250 cup class
    Type: Amateur (novice / expert combined)- Sprint

Bike must be a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (EX250) to qualify for this class. All years of this model are allowed.

In the interest of creating parity in the class ONLY the following modifications are allowed.

1: Bike must comply with safety standards listed in section 5.2 EXCEPT that the Ninja 250 does NOT require a steering damper. A steering damper, however, MAY be added at the riders discretion.

2: No engine modifications of any kind are permitted. Engine must remain as delivered from the factory. No slotting of cam sprockets, no allowance for overbore, no porting, no shaving, no decking, etc.

3: The stock airbox / air filter / intake snorkel must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.

4: Bodywork, windscreen, fairing stay, and bodywork mounting brackets may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Relieving bodywork for clearance of hand or foot controls, exhaust, and frame sliders IS allowed.

5: Exhaust system, including exhaust bracket assembly, may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

6: Carburetor jetting consisting of Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle and Slide hole size may be changed. No other modifications are allowed.

7: The PAIR valve may be blocked.

8: Suspension may be modified with different springs / valves / oil, but the stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained. Preload adjusters may be added to the forks. Rear ride height may be altered or adjustable.

9: Brake pads may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin, but brake calipers and rotors must be stock.

10: Brake lines (hoses) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

11: Controls, footpegs, rearsets, handlebars, clip on's, levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain as stock.

12: External gearing may be changed consisting of chain and sprockets only. These parts may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

13: Tires may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

14: On bikes manufactured 2007 or before the following additional modifications are permitted

a: Wheels may be replaced with OEM 2008 and up 17" Ninja 250 wheels.
    b: Rear shock may be replaced with an OEM 2008 and up Ninja 250 Shock

15: Only parts which are not critical to bodywork or integral support may be removed - but they must be removed at the stock mounting/bolting point. Cutting of materials or frame parts is SPECIFICALLY forbidden, excepting the kick-stand bracket. It may be cut off for ground clearance purposes.

16: Stock charging system must be fully connected and functional at all times.

17. Only DOT approved, street legal, pump gas may be used. NO race gas or performance additives are allowed. At the MRA's discretion, fuel may be supplied to competitors at the prevailing market price.

18. Instrument cluster may be removed, and gauges may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.
    This thread has kinda died out and the new rule isn't out as far is I can find.

So is this the 250 ninja class rules as they stand.

Senior Member Expert
    Why do the factory Supersport bikes always seem to go faster than the privateer Superbikes. Ah yes I remember asking myself that for years when we all headed down to Daytona.
    Good luck with seeing that everyone plays by the rules.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Why do the factory Supersport bikes always seem to go faster than the privateer Superbikes. Ah yes I remember asking myself that for years when we all headed down to Daytona.
    Good luck with seeing that everyone plays by the rules.
    MONEY - Tuners that know what they are doing - and the very best riders..

Maybe its because the factory bikes are blueprinted. The factory has a parts room full of parts and can build each bike using only the best parts.

another rule applies here also - its called don't over modify.

way back in the 70's when I started racing. I raced an RD350 yamaha
    we had 3 basic classes to run them in
    1. production where only changes allowed were tires, rear shocks, handlebars, gearing(sprockets) carb jetting, and rearsets.
    2 cafe class where anything goes as long as the bike remained street (somewhat) legal.
    and
    3 GP anything goes this was the Yamaha TZ full roadracer class.
    I always did better in cafe class with my production RD then the guys with the modifyed RDs.

Senior Member Expert
    Yeah that's the old AMA Supersport. Get a room full of cylinders, heads and etc and assemble them for the very best performance, Factory blueprinting and all within the good end of the specs. Same way with the chassis but ever hear Ludington, Medley, Johnson or others talk about some of the shit they used to do? Pretty damn amazing and good that Ludington's AMA head of tech these days cause you can't get shit past that fellow. Regardless there's still little mods that can be made to even an EX 250 that short of tearing it down to the cases could do and get a way with, then again I have no intention of ever showing up but look forward to watching some good racing.
    Sounds like you've been around a while? I love the old MRA stories from Orlando, Zickerik and Storman Norman but remember best seeing some good old racing back in the day close to my home in GA. Road Atlanta actually with some old fellows name Spencer, Lawson, Rainey and even Roberts before then some Nixon fellow and Aldana used to go pretty good. You'd probably know that old Pig farmer Dale Singleton? Please share some of those old RD stories as I have a really sweet 400 sitting in my shop that I've restored with a Daytona head, Spec 2 pipes and other vintage pieces. I'd love to go race it but have never been sure enough that my clutch hand was fast enough to catch it B4 it threw me on my head. Please share as I love the history of how it was back in the day when men were men and motorcycles smoked.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Sounds like you've been around a while? I love the old MRA stories from Orlando, Zickerik and Storman Norman but remember best seeing some good old racing back in the day close to my home in GA. Road Atlanta actually with some old fellows name Spencer, Lawson, Rainey and even Roberts before then some Nixon fellow and Aldana used to go pretty good. You'd probably know that old Pig farmer Dale Singleton? Please share some of those old RD stories as I have a really sweet 400 sitting in my shop that I've restored with a Daytona head, Spec 2 pipes and other vintage pieces. I'd love to go race it but have never been sure enough that my clutch hand was fast enough to catch it B4 it threw me on my head. Please share as I love the history of how it was back in the day when men were men and motorcycles smoked.
    Just call me old fat and slow. Did most of my racing in the mid atlantic region. Loved racing in the WERA 8 and 12 hour endurance races. Even did a 24hr at Nelson Ledges.
    My first race bike was an R5, spent a year trying to make it as close to a TR3 as I could. Then I gave up on that project and got a TA125.had a blast on that little bike. for a year before adding the rd350 to the team. And then doing everything I could to keep up with Ed Bargy on his 400 Kaw.

The TA125's were a blast to race, We had a lot of close good racing in that class.. except in 75 when some little snot nosed kid named Freddie showed up at Summit Point WV and lapped the entire field in a 12 lap race.
    We used the run and bump dead engine starts back then and he was gridded last so that his daddy could hold up the bike and help him start it. (if I remember it right) most of the time i was 1st or 2nd row and didn't pay much attention on who was behind me.

Did a couple of years with MRA in the 80's Castle Rock, Aspen, Pueblo, and La Junta.

I plan on attending the MRA Banquet next month, and running in the Ninja cup races this coming year.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    Louden,

I agree, the whole idea behind this class is for it to NEVER become an arms race.

To that end my bike currently has:

Aftermarket Exhaust (Area P about $450 for a full system)
    Aftermarket clip ons (woodcraft)
    Stock Shock
    Stock Forks
    Stock Rearsets

and that's it

I'm certain that this is going to be a lot of fun and I'll have nothing to blame but myself for being slow.

Get one, come race with us. This is going to be a blast.
    Big time talk and now his little ninjette is up for sale.. He has Duc, fever

Senior Member Expert
    Oh yeah I heard about the Nelson Ledges endurance events from Bob Stanley who used to run their club before he passed away a couple years ago. That I heard was a grueling race due to the track for one. Look forward to hopefully meeting you and I've taken on the fat short and lazy disposition as well. Thanks for writing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123