Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Class Proposal - Ninja 250 Cup

Senior Member Expert

New Class Proposal - Ninja 250 Cup

Add a new class to create a spec class for the ninja 250 with the following rules:

Class: Ninja 250 cup class
    Type: Amateur - Sprint

Bike must be a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (EX250) to qualify for this class. All years of this model are allowed.

In the interest of creating parity in the class ONLY the following modifications are allowed.

1: Bike must comply with safety standards listed in section 5.2.1 EXCEPT that the Ninja 250 does NOT require a steering damper.

2: Bodywork may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

3: Exhaust system may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

4: Carburetor jetting may be changed

5: Suspension may be modified with different springs / valves, but the stock rear shock body and stock fork tubes must be retained.

6: Brake lines (hoses) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin

7: Controls; footpegs, rearsets, handlebars, clip on's, levers may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin. Brake master cylinders and throttle control must remain as stock.

8: Consumables (tires / brake pads) may be replaced with parts of unlimited origin.

9: The stock airbox / air filter must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    I like this, but wonder about the master cylinders. If we find an aftermarket unit to replace a broken one, why not allow that? Just a question (Yep. I am trying to figure out which bike to sell to make room.)
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by froth
    I like this, but wonder about the master cylinders. If we find an aftermarket unit to replace a broken one, why not allow that? Just a question (Yep. I am trying to figure out which bike to sell to make room.)
    Hey Fred,

So a brand new front brake master cylinder assembly from Bike Bandit is $141.00. There are 7 front master cylinders for the 08 and up ninja 250 on ebay right now for under $60. I doubt a suitable aftermarket unit can be found for much less than that. Opening it up means that someone's showing up with a $400 brembo on a ninja 250.

Same thing with the rear shock. Personally I'd much rather have something better than the stocker on there, but don't think the spirit of the class is to be putting $1000 shocks on $3000 motorcycles.
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Sounds good to me.

Only thing I would comment on is tires. If the propose is to make a class that is easy to afford why not spec them as well?
    Randall "Snowman" Turner
    MRA No.427 - Honda CBR600rr Fireblade

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Sounds good to me.

Only thing I would comment on is tires. If the propose is to make a class that is easy to afford why not spec them as well?
    Some racers have long standing loyalties or relationships with trackside vendors that have supported the MRA for many many years. Forcing them to run a different tire before this class has even shown its ability to sustain itself would be premature in my humble opinion.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    I like this class proposal and hope Tony will be back with the first shipment of 250's for Pueblo. It would be beneficial to have these bikes in the pits this season to get the paddock excited about 250 racing next year.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Airbox Q?

is removing the snorkle considered modification?
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller999
    Airbox Q?

is removing the snorkle considered modification?
    imo yes. I don't think that we leave anything to interpretation. must be as supplied by the factory, in stock configuration.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert

Re: New Class Proposal - Ninja 250 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by rybo

9: The stock airbox / air filter must remain in place and connected. No modification of the airbox / air filter is permitted.
    In my opinion NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED is exactly that. None, zero zilch. Removing parts is a modification. Adding parts is a modification. Drilling holes in the plastic parts of the airbox is a modification.

The best way to keep this class as intended, a spec class where all the bikes are essentially equal, is to make sure that the mods allowed are both inexpensive, easy and equal to all.

To that end my reasoning behind the "zero airbox modification" rule is this. If you severely limit the amount of available air for an engine (ie airbox/snorkle) then just about anything else you could do to that engine won't greatly increase power. Think 50mm restrictor plates on Ducati's in SBK.

This makes policing engine mods easier for the VP of rules and tech and keeps the playing field level amongst the racers.

I'm getting all psyched for 2011 already...
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert

Re: New Class Proposal - Ninja 250 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by rybo

In my opinion NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED is exactly that. .
    I think you need to stay with stock exhaust in that case. :wink:
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    Gearing changes allowed?
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    How about:

Gearing
    Chain
    Suspension: springs and valving only
    DOT tires
    Supersport legal bodywork
    Brake lines
    Brake pads
    Rear sets
    Swingarm spools
    Jet Kit
    Full exhaust (since Tony's bikes are coming in with aftermarket ones??)

Stock air filter and air box.

No rocket fuel. Pump fuel or GTFO.

What am I forgetting?

(No, this is not Supersport. Data Acquisition with traction control is not legal! )

yeah, I think we forgot to put the chain/sprocket thing in the first post...

Davey is on the right track with his list.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Yep that works.

Center/kick stands will be pulled, and I assume things like the horn will be as well. What about removal of brackets for street-only pieces (I haven't looked closely at mine, but let's say for example that the headlight mounted to some piece of metal that was otherwise not useful for anything)? Your prepped bikes probably don't have things like that left on them.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    HORN MUST BE ON THERE AND OPERATIONAL!!!

(In honor of Mr Applehans)

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant

HELL YES! That's a NO-BRAINER! Seriously, how funny would that be?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant

HELL YES! That's a NO-BRAINER! Seriously, how funny would that be?
    Exactly. I think it was Second Creek Mike was beeping at everyone as they passed?

Mike and I used to store ham and cheese sandwiches in the little storage bins below the seats on the SVs. Between playing rock-paper-scissors and eating lunch, we kept ourselves occupied for the 30 minutes it took to get down the front straight at Pueblo.

Can I keep a mirror on mine? I'd love to watch you guys bang bars while I sneak pass you for the win!! :P
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    If horns are allowed I might be in! Where in the race weekend will this class be? If this class happens and the formula 40 does also what classes are we dumping?

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Run this class in place of the heat race we never run

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    yeah, I think we forgot to put the chain/sprocket thing in the first post...
    Just a suggestion - rather than reinvent the rules and almost certainly create a loophole somewhere, start with the AFM production class rules as a template and modify them as needed.

There are literally decades of collective knowledge written there. Go to section 9 starting on page 53 ..

http://www.afmracing.org/images/down...m_rulebook.pdf

Senior Member Expert
    Come on Jim....that would be logical.
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Any chance you can upgrade the first Gen 250s to 17 inch wheels?

Senior Member Amateur
    ^^ Scott and i were talking about this, from what i gather it is pretty straight forward to fit new style wheels to an older 2fiddy, with some machined spacers. If it is indeed that simple, we could add a clause saying that 08-10 year factory 250 wheels would be legal to retrofit onto xx-07 model year bikes, using these (specified) spacers...

While I do like the NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED, if I am picking up a wrecked old style 250, I'm not going to want to source good parts to replace something like a smashed plastic undertail, or fubared seat....while it could be looked at as weight reduction to remove and not replace said broken parts, or to fabricate similar parts, I really don't want to get nickel and dimed to death replacing a bunch of factory parts on a track bike that doesn't have a title and that I will probably just wreck again anyway.
    Dave

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD
    While I do like the NO MODIFICATION IS PERMITTED, if I am picking up a wrecked old style 250, I'm not going to want to source good parts to replace something like a smashed plastic undertail, or fubared seat....while it could be looked at as weight reduction to remove and not replace said broken parts, or to fabricate similar parts, I really don't want to get nickel and dimed to death replacing a bunch of factory parts on a track bike that doesn't have a title and that I will probably just wreck again anyway.
    While I see your point, there also isn't much of one in having a spec class if you can replace parts with whatever you find out there or can fab up. Weight savings could become a significant advantage in this class if you can just stick whatever you want on there. Either it's a spec class, or it isn't.

Since most everyone will be on race bodywork anyway, it's probably not as big of a deal there. Seats can be recovered. Parts are all over eBay for these things. It's doable.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast