Quote Originally Posted by rybo
Chris,

In light of recent light CW turnout the idea of using the function to again fulfill service hours may not be a bad one. We've moved away from this in recent years because the training and commitment necessary to be a quality cornerworker usually extends beyond a racers willingness to do the work. We would really need folks to be willing to commit to a full days service for it to be actually useful the the club.

That being said the last round offered service hour opportunities for novices (in accordance with the current rule set) that went unanswered. The bulk of the scoring for the weekend was done by board members and their families.

At this point, we probably don't have enough manpower to MONITOR the expansion of the service requirement to all members. Every project would require some kind of supervision / verification by a board member and I'm not really sure that we have the horsepower to get it done.

I appreciate the sentiment that it's a club atmosphere and that people should want to serve their community, I'm just not sure that making it a requirement is the way to go about it. My motto in this area is "inspire, don't require".

I believe that the novice hours do serve a purpose in their current form, and if the program is delivered correctly it can inspire a spirit of service that can extend into the expert years. We have several experts that step up year after year to help the club.

My .02

Scott