Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An idea for radical change in the structure of the MRA

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    so I've been giving this idea a lot of thought and done some research in the process.
    Hey! Who's been doing the participation research?? :-s
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    so I've been giving this idea a lot of thought and done some research in the process.
    Hey! Who's been doing the participation research?? :-s

Fixed
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    As a first year racer on a very limited budget, the endurance races in their present format have been beyond valuable for me for two reasons. Lots of Seat-time and the ability to shadow faster riders, even if its only half a corner at a time. I race MVU as well, an am contemplating sportsman/co class if I am able to run either of those, but the main hook for me is the solo endurance format. I feel it would be a loss for our club to do away with it. Its a good transitional class for novices and new racers who dont want to jump into the NOVU or NovO fray just yet.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by davy4575
    As a first year racer on a very limited budget, the endurance races in their present format have been beyond valuable for me for two reasons. Lots of Seat-time and the ability to shadow faster riders, even if its only half a corner at a time. I race MVU as well, an am contemplating sportsman/co class if I am able to run either of those, but the main hook for me is the solo endurance format. I feel it would be a loss for our club to do away with it. Its a good transitional class for novices and new racers who dont want to jump into the NOVU or NovO fray just yet.
    As a first year racer myself, I agree with the above as I am in the same boat.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Amateur
    to jump on the n00b bandwagon here, I run solo endurance, and NovO when I can, mainly for cost reasons.

If I were able to get 2 sprint races for the price of one (as long as I am understanding Glenn correctly), I would be all over it.

but, if you get rid on the nov/am classes in favor of making most of the current classes Am, instead of expert only, I'd be afraid that you are getting rid of too many entry level classes. for me, the idea of a (slow, in my case) first year novice running in OSB is a bit daunting.

I can hold my own mid pack in the nov classes, but I would be a big orange mobile road block in the other classes.
    Dave

Senior Member Amateur
    Last season was my first season and ran nov 0 nov u middle weight endurance, am 0 am u. That cost me a fortune. This year, I have only run endurance and I have loved it. I have thought about jumping into Nov U, but can't justify another $120 bucks for 7 laps. That said, if there is no endurance I will probably sell my motorcycles and all equipment and get a wakeboard boat, and spend a summer doing that. My point is, just spending $90 bucks a weekend was enough, plus a set of tires. Then I only raced on Saturday's so I had Sundays to do other things as well. Leave solo endurance alone or turn it into a team series which I will do.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cromer611
    as most of us racers are working in the motorcycled industry, and get screwed to race saturday
    While I feel for ya, I sincerely doubt that most of the grid is full of people who work in the motorcycle retail business. There are some for sure, but quite a large number of us work at jobs that have nothing to do with motorcycles.

Otherwise... +1 to not killing endurance. If anything, expand it like is being discussed in another thread. The revenue stream and grid sizes indicate pretty clearly to me that people like it, and maybe there's something to this whole cheaper racing concept.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Over the years you would be suprised how many in the motorcycle industry there were, many have moved on due to the fact of saterday racing for most is out of the question. Kinda like a summer vacation, does not exist for us.
    Hell over the years I have almost had to quit to go racing and one time I did when I went to Laguna but that being said we can not go back to a one day format as it just won't work.

Senior Member Amateur
    Endurance is a huge hook for me. The longer the better, as my fitness earns me a higher place...certainly not my lap times. I focus on endurance with a Nov tossed in every now and then due to cost this year.

I agree, it's disappointing to see so many classes with so few bikes and they've become increrasingly dull to watch. No offense to you guys riding circles around me, but when there are 8 of you to watch... Endurance grids seem consistenly large.

I'll make any format work and thankfully don't have a Saturday shop schedule to work through. While I don't have the answer for combining classes to keep everyone happy, I wonder how adding more and more niche classes like spec, 160/cafe is the answer (though I like the 250 idea). Seems to me adding more classes just diversifies the racer pool we already have, as it allows them to entertain side projects at the possible expense of their past/primary race efforts.

I'd pay more for endurance, say $75, as it's still a tremendous value over sprints and really cheap day at the track.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12