View Poll Results: How Legit is the Interest in The Ninja 250 Spec Class?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not participate in it.

9 16.67%
  • I will participate, and rent a bike.

2 3.70%
  • I will participate and buy a prepped bike.

6 11.11%
  • I will participate and build my own bike.

10 18.52%
  • I am interested, but undecided on the above.

27 50.00%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Senior Member Amateur
    is a rules meeting planned? i would love to attend!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by lars
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11758
    Casey D

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos13
    Quote Originally Posted by lars
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=11758
    Sweet....and lame....i will probably be in florida thanks though

Senior Member Amateur
    A guy is making a kit to fit the 08+ wheels to the older models. He said they would go for ~175 a pop and would include the custom parts necessary for the swap. This kit uses the 08+ caliper as well.

I am planning on picking up this kit, then maybe talking to a local machinist to see about making some locally if there is any interest.
    Dave

Senior Member Amateur
    Dave -

You would take the original creation of an entrepreneur and ask someone else to copy his custom parts? Why not just promote the guy who had the initiative to create a solution from scratch?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD
    I am planning on picking up this kit, then maybe talking to a local machinist to see about making some locally if there is any interest.
    Another option would be to see if my very complete 95 EX500 front end would fit. The tire size is a 110/70 17 and a Battleax BT-003 is available in that size.

Senior Member Expert
    I heard a rumor that the Ninjette fleet has arrived in Denver. :shock:
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by chrobis
    Dave -

You would take the original creation of an entrepreneur and ask someone else to copy his custom parts? Why not just promote the guy who had the initiative to create a solution from scratch?
    I'm sure I could come up with this on my own if I could convice someone to let me compare the new and old setups side by side. But I really don't have the time right now to mess with another project.

He really didn't seem interested in production, but I could gauge interest, and see if he could hook interested parties up on a "group buy".
    Dave

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Scored51
    Another option would be to see if my very complete 95 EX500 front end would fit. The tire size is a 110/70 17 and a Battleax BT-003 is available in that size.
    That would still leave me with a 16" rear tire, and evidently the ex500 rear swap is a huge PITA
    Dave

There is a few shiny ones in my garrage as we speek.....they are soooo cool its like a little GP bike . Gonna do some graphics on mine and fairbanks's and will cya at hpr......... if someone knows how to post pictures pm me and ill email u a few shots.

Thankx t bag and ray ray for stopping by on the way down the mtn and dropping em off .... its on
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Amateur
    That would still leave me with a 16" rear tire, and evidently the ex500 rear swap is a huge PITA
    Is this just joking around or is the idea of somewhat spec racing out the door and people are in for a free for all of farkles?

Senior Member Expert
    It's neither.

Spec racing is happening in the club. 5 Ninja 250's just entered the state and have been delivered to their new owners. Mine is in my garage as we speak and I know of several other folks building bikes in addition to these 5.

The rules have not yet been established, there is a proposal out there for what the spec rules should be and it will be discussed at the rule change meeting on the 17th of October.

It will not be a "free for all", but there may be some allowances made for pre 2008 motorcycles as leaving them "stock" would put them at a massive disadvantage. One of these allowances might be permission to swap from the stock 16" wheels (found on pre 08 bikes) to the current 17" wheel. I would advocate for this provided that the following condition be put on the swap; "On pre 2008 EX250s a wheel conversion to 17" wheels is permitted. Only OEM wheels from 2008 and up bikes may be used in the conversion" (or something to that effect)

The goal here is to get the bikes on essentially equal tires without allowing $5000 carbon fiber wheels into the class.

Another item that's up for debate is the rear shock. While I initially proposed that only the stock rear shock can be used, there is no way to easily change the spring on the stock shock. There are some companies modifying the stock shock, but it's an expensive modification that gets close to the cost of purchasing an aftermarket WP or Penske unit that has swappable springs.

The point of my mini-novel is this.

Decisions are made by the people who show up. If you have a stake in this class or any other rule change please come to the meeting and make your voice heard.

Rule change proposals close on October 1st. Please go to the rules and tech forum and review the proposed rule changes. Discuss them, make additional suggestions. NO NEW PROPOSALS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE.

See you there (I hope)

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Aah, the fix for that is a 4.5" Honda F2 rear wheel and run a 150 or 160 tire. The fitment is easy and I can send you pics and machine specs from my 500. I think it's around $100 of labor. If you've got a rear drum brake, it would require finding an EX500 ('94 on) or ZX6 (80's ??) swingarm with a disc brake. I bought a ZX6 swingarm off eBay for $25 (shipping included).

"Plan B" may be simpler to find out if a 250 motor has the same mounting points as an EX500 and start with a chassis already running a good set of wheels. Either way, a little research needs to take the place of shelling out $4K for a late model bike.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Plan C would be to buy a bike that already fits the (to be) finalized rule configurations... :shock: :lol:

This is supposed to be a low cost / spec series. Let's not deviate too far from the original intent please...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Certainly understood. However, by my estimates, the total cost of these mods (EX500 front end & F2 rear wheel) parts & labor to be less than a new set of race tires for an R6. Third gen bikes do have a disc brake in the rear, so all of my swing arm suggestions can be tossed. Additionally, any rule allowance for older models to update wheel sizes is going to require machine work. The heavier F2 wheel might actually reduce the performance advantage (weight & hp) the older bikes have over the new ones anyway. :shock:

Senior Member Expert
    Chris the 08 and newer are way faster than the old ones and it needs to be 250 size tires only to even resemble spec.

Senior Member Expert
    It's racing folks you can't keep the people who are familiar with these engines from finding an advantage. Ain't no way in hell. Remember this cause I'm going to be saying that I said it. I bet I could get another 3HP out of one of these engines and you'd never find it and I'll bet Bart knows what I'm talking about. It doesn't bolt on weld one cost anything and is hardly detectable yet yields big gains ....guesses. He who guesses best finishes first. Don't worry though I won't be racing this class.

Pair Valve Modification... :shock:

Since it's free, easy, and available to anyone - maybe we should make it part of the rules that you CAN do it...?

The idea isn't to keep the HP down, it's to keep the cost down - and the fun factor up.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    thanks scott, ill do my best, might be shipping out the day after the next superstreet. but ill come if i can, would love to be apart of this meeting.

I've printed off the WSMC Ninja 250 rules... I'll bring 'em to the meeting.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    It's racing folks you can't keep the people who are familiar with these engines from finding an advantage. Ain't no way in hell. Remember this cause I'm going to be saying that I said it. I bet I could get another 3HP out of one of these engines and you'd never find it and I'll bet Bart knows what I'm talking about. It doesn't bolt on weld one cost anything and is hardly detectable yet yields big gains ....guesses. He who guesses best finishes first. Don't worry though I won't be racing this class.
    Jon I have already said that I was going to build a cheater bike, but I think I can stuff the internals of a EX500 in there, a little shave here a little grind there perhaps but it will look stock from the out side. Course it might be a dead give away to run 18-40 gearing. :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    the rear shock is a big issue...preload isn't even adjustable on the -07 model, and it is sprung for a 80 lb school girl.

I really don't want a 150 tire on it, as it doesn;t have the power to rotate that big of a tire, I'd just want to run the same tires as a new models, as the only 16" tires available look more at home on a dirtbike. I can't really see this turning into a strictly production class, but as close as possible is good for me.

and if you guys CAN do the pair valve, can I have pod filters? :P you know, strictly for maint. reasons

I just want to keep the costs down...right now I am into an 07 for ~$500, if I can complete it for <$1000 I'll do it, if not, I'll part it out and won't lose a dime.

I really don't see how bolting 17" wheels on my 07 is a deviation from a "spec" class, or keeping the cost low. "spec" does not necessarily mean production

and as far as the rule proposals go, this class is proposed, so the final rules will be hashed out at the meeting, correct?
    Dave

we're concerned that allowing shocks will all of a sudden get the bikes in the same cost category as an R6... which defeats the purpose.

A couple tire manufacturers make a 140 rear for race use. I'll run a 150 'cause that's the smallest my tire guy offers.

Yeah, Spec and Stock are different. We just want to keep everyone on the same level - which IMO requires 17" wheels on the older models.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

All of us will have stock fork springs and stock rear shocks on, the few if us that have the bikes already, this next race weekend . So we will see how bad or not it really is .

If it does become a rule to use stock shock , the older models can always use the newer model shock that is preload adjustable and sprung "ok" right ?

The more even the bikes are the more fun and competitive the racing will be . That is really the point of this class .

Oh and I ripped mine all over lookout Mountain and this is gonna be a freekin blast . They are slow!!!! but not that slow. U can get moving on em . I can't wait :shock: :shock:
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Expert
    Just got done ginny piggin the Hammermobile and with the area P pipe and jetting got it to 29.3 hps with 15 footy pounds and a few suspension tweeks and its ready to go. Oh and thats with out a jet kit just special Bartman numbers cheap and easy. :lol:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast