View Poll Results: How Legit is the Interest in The Ninja 250 Spec Class?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not participate in it.

9 16.67%
  • I will participate, and rent a bike.

2 3.70%
  • I will participate and buy a prepped bike.

6 11.11%
  • I will participate and build my own bike.

10 18.52%
  • I am interested, but undecided on the above.

27 50.00%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Senior Member Amateur
    I knew that would get you over here!
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Senior Member Amateur
    im in, gonna build it this winter while i am dying to ride!

Senior Member Amateur
    I'll be building one this winter
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Member Amateur
    Im in for this!

Hopefully with the interest and commitments being made here - there will be enough to warrant a unique race/class - on both days -

Speaking selfishly - I would love to get 2 250 races - 1 sat, 1 sun AND have Co Class to race my vintage 160.

Cheers

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    I've added a poll to the top of this thread. Please go there and be as factual and honest as you can be. The better the information we get from you, the better we can adjust things to ensure that this new class happens.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    I'd be interested but can't see how it is feasible to get one at this current time. Yes the race prepped bike for an 08/09 is CHEAP! Yes I would love one to get more races in! But I can't see where I would pull the funds together for it. If I had the money I could easily take 1/2 of what would be needed right now and just invest in my current R6 and race fees for next year to make it a good season.

However, that being said, since I do recognize the potential of this, I have sent links to the 2 threads to several friends that wanted to race this year but couldn't justify the money for a 600 or 1000 and race prep it and then maint cost of racing. I think this is quite viable for them to get started for this coming year. How many of them will stop bullsh!tting and actually do it? Dunno....
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Amateur
    Trying to be as realistic as possible, I just voted 'will not participate'. It sounds like a bunch of fun, and if there were no time and money constraints I'd be in, but that probably won't happen in 2011.

Renting sounds intriguing, but as a second bike $250 - $350 for one or two sprint races in a weekend doesn't compute for me.

That being said, it has given me over to daydreaming about finding a bike and race-prepping it myself.

Senior Member Amateur
    Hey Tony I have a PM for you too. Anyways I think the another way to make this as cheep as possible is to limit the amount of tires one can use in a season. At $400 a set... that's the biggest expense. I think the class needs like a 3-5 set limit per rider. This could be done easy at tech with a quick signature on the tires from the tech guy.
    Keep them stock, limit tires, and only pump gas! -C

Senior Member Expert
    I'll sell you Battleax tires for the 250R at $400! How many sets do you want? :lol: :lol: :lol: The front in a BT-003 is $100 and the rear is $111 via internet sales.

It will be interesting to see what the wear is going to be like since it is a lighter bike without any horsepower. It's almost have the horsepower of a 125GP two stroke and a wider tire. Theoretically it should last quite a while.

Senior Member Amateur
    Your absolutely right chris but you know as well as I it's not about most of us using the tires as long as we can... It's about that guy who has to have new tires everytime he gets on that bike plus will spend every dime he can to stretch the limits of the rules for a little performance gain. Bone stock, limited tires, pump gas curbs that a bit... Just say'n haha

Senior Member Expert
    There won't be many places to spend money to be honest... Stock bits means stock bits, there isn't a lot of interpretation there other than a handful of specific parts. Otherwise if someone wants to blow their wad on a new set of 250 tires every weekend more power to them, it won't make a damn bit of difference and should put some great cheap takeoffs out there for the rest of us.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    There won't be many places to spend money to be honest... Stock bits means stock bits, there isn't a lot of interpretation there other than a handful of specific parts. Otherwise if someone wants to blow their wad on a new set of 250 tires every weekend more power to them, it won't make a damn bit of difference and should put some great cheap takeoffs out there for the rest of us.
    agreed, let them waste money on tires.
    i have ran my ninja 500 with 4500 street miles in a superstreet race and then a full chicane track day and they still had lots of meat. the ninja 250 will be even more sparing on the tires.

Three of the six are SOLD to MRA racers! Have a verbal commitment for one more - who wants one of the last two...?

Time's a wasting!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    My mouth has been watering over this. Some more consistent riders to race against in CO Class! Maybe I can talk Bart into putting Bridgestone money back into CO Class now.

For those of you out there that don't know...Colorado class is the ultra lightweight class.

Geoff I agree with you in theory about a lightweight SS class, but there is no bike currently in the club that fits into a lightweight SS class. Last time I checked SV 650's don't come with fairings from the factory. I'm not sure about the Ninja 650 but it doesn't matter, cuz the Ninja 650 in the club isn't legal for SS either. It is hard to make up a SS class for a bike that doesn't exist.

Ninja 250's are cool, it doesn't matter if you have three minute lap times or a minute fifty twos. A win is a win.

See ya all at Peublo, Jeff

Senior Member Expert
    I should be able to get Bridgestone to put money in if we can get enough bikes and by the length of this thread that seems like it is going to happen but if it comes down to it the money will go into the 250 class and not CO class since it will have more interest.
    One problem I do see in CO class is a 250 ninja will have no chance against to supermoto bike unless there is a reeeealy long straight. I mean we are talkin about 28 HP to 50 or so for a 450 supermoto, most will still prolly run it but won't be runnin for a win.

we won't be running for a win, but there will be 8 of us fighting over 3rd!

GAME ON!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    I know someone forced off the grid by a medical condition...something about the possibility her heart exploding or some crap. Miracle medication does the trick. Not sure if I can get her excited enough to grid up, but I can get excited enough to prep one!

I'd be interested in trying one for giggles. I think this calls for its own special 4-hour in 2011.

Finally, to Geoff's point early-on about walking a 250 up the hill to T11, we could always cut that section, run it right off T8 into the esses. That would keep similar lap times, eh?
    Tom
    MRA #416

Senior Member Expert
    I hadn't thought of that! What a blast, keep as much speed from bleeding off in the uphill section! Count me in (as soon as I can sneak another bike past my wife, who for some reason, thinks seven motorcycles is enough for two people).
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Member Amateur
    Who doesn't have too many bikes.....shit the wife and family called my ass straight crazy after I took the last one and threw a turbo on it. Guess what I just bought one of these 250's to play from Tony B. That makes 10 in my fleet so tell the wife its ok. I think hammer has 11. Its on like megatron.

Senior Member Expert
    True, True True. Unfortunately, I'm out of room with a kid in college, so maxed out is where I'm spending a lot of my time, and I can cheer you guys and gals on if I can't ride, right?
    MRA811

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by froth
    True, True True. Unfortunately, I'm out of room with a kid in college, so maxed out is where I'm spending a lot of my time, and I can cheer you guys and gals on if I can't ride, right?
    My understanding is that you are making your glorious return at round 8. I'll be on the wall cheering for you. Once that is complete the hook will once again be set and a Ninjette WILL BE in your 2011 race plan.

Just sayin'
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    My understanding is that you are making your glorious return at round 8. I'll be on the wall cheering for you. Once that is complete the hook will once again be set and a Ninjette WILL BE in your 2011 race plan.

Just sayin'
    Your plan is working! I've just received a distress call from Fred wondering how many XR100's he needs to sell in order to pickup a 250! 8)

Senior Member Expert
    Cool! The glorious return on the Great Pumpkin shall be an event not to be missed. I can run off any corner and not worry, since it's still got 13 inched of travel, and it's also my main dez sled!
    MRA811

Junior Member Novice
    Just back from vacation so I missed all the commentary.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in owning one of these. This would be my criteria for getting one:
    - It'd have to be eligible for 3-4 classes. I'm only ever going to own one bike at a time and so I'd want to get as much track time as possible out of it. Sounds like there are 3 classes they would be eligible for now, I'd be a lot happier if there was a dedicated class to it rather than just coming in the second wave of a NGTU.
    - There would have to be a bunch of (novice) riders with 250s. Six so far isn't a huge number.
    - Cost of the bike including maintenance would have to be reasonable. I'll do some research on this.

I'd be happier owning than renting but if the bikes are cared for properly and it saves on the maintenance hassle then renting would be OK.

Tony - I missed the meeting on Wednesday but will come to chat to you at Pueblo about it.
    #170 2007 Triumph Daytona 675

Junior Member Novice
    Been talking to Bart about this one- I'd be down for trying to put one together for next season- it would be a cheap 2nd ride next to the TZ, though I'm interested in seeing how many others actually follow through with putting one together, and how the class(es) for this bike will be set up.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast