View Poll Results: How Legit is the Interest in The Ninja 250 Spec Class?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not participate in it.

9 16.67%
  • I will participate, and rent a bike.

2 3.70%
  • I will participate and buy a prepped bike.

6 11.11%
  • I will participate and build my own bike.

10 18.52%
  • I am interested, but undecided on the above.

27 50.00%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Senior Member Amateur
    Lets put Moham on one in a Lightweight class and see, he sure is good at making that SV of his competitive in middleweight races when he needs to.
    Brandon

Senior Member Expert
    The reason to do the 250 NINJA is it is the only bike out there in this range where as the middleweight twins there are many. The Ex650 is no match for the SV and for this to work it has to be one make only. Otherwise we do a Lightweight class and go from there.

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I am in if the class runs on it's own. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    Why put it in a class it could race up in?

Run it at 12:15 in place of the heat races and move lunch up???
    This would be an option as well... just didn't want to step on toes by messing up the schedule.

Obviously if it's well attended, then it deserves to stand on it's own... and allowing them to ride up = more value for the rider and more $$ for the club.

Member Amateur
    What year/s would you expect to run in this prospective SPEC/cup class?

The bikes are not the different - but did go thru a change 08-current.

Seems there's more race type products available (bodywork, etc)

The older models as expected will be more readily available and cheaper as used.

Thoughts??

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    2008 + are the better bikes, and there's not a huge difference in cost between them and the 2007 - models anyway.

There are some on craigslist, IN DENVER, right now for under $3k, and you can buy one brand new for just over $4K.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11
    What year/s would you expect to run in this prospective SPEC/cup class?

The bikes are not the different - but did go thru a change 08-current.

Seems there's more race type products available (bodywork, etc)

The older models as expected will be more readily available and cheaper as used.

Thoughts??
    I think if it's a ninja 250 it's in.

The newer ones use a more common tire size, and better tires will be more available, so from that perspective there is a significant advantage to the newer bikes.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Member Novice
    Sound like a pivotal question for RMK?!~ Maybe we run the "RMK Spec class" and have Ricky use his highly effective massage techniques to have somebody like RMK help in providing the bikes at a very reasonable cost either to the MRA or end users.

Additionally, have Ricky perform "new racer" licensing (and/or race school) on Ninja 250's provided by RMK (to some level at least).... This creates a more consistent value for RMK to consider something like this.

RMK (or someone on their behalf like Ricky) could then also have the responsibility of "maintaining" ritual services on the biikes- which would equate to more dollars and more faces in the RMK shop.

From the dealership perspective I can see the value in that! Now how many do you want to buy? I wish Ducati still made 250's!!
    S. Tally Lawing, MRA #314
    President- Ducati Motor Club
    2010 Class Sponsor- Modern Vintage GTO

Aprilia RS153
    Ducati Monza 160
    Ducati Paul Smart
    Honda NSF120R

I don't know that this necessarily "requires" full dealer support to be successful... however, we would of course contact all of our current sponsors who sell kawi's and see what they're able to offer our participants. RMK, Vickery, Grand Prix, Apex... all sell Kawi's so why shut anybody out? If any one of them wants to go full balls and really try to field the best "team" of 250's, then all the more power to them.

As far as nailing down "specific support" for the series, I'd rather go directly to Kawi and say "When you reinstate your contingency program, please add the Ninja 250 to the MRA eligible bikes."

I'm opposed (at this point anyway) to "requiring" people to go out and buy brand new ones in order to participate - though Kawi would probably do so if you wanted contingency.

I don't think that having the MRA own the assets is a good idea, for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is liability.

This is about making racing more cost effective for the racers, which would be difficult to do if we limited their options on where to buy one, who can license them, where they can be serviced, etc...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Just tell me when to start my build , this will truly separate the men from the boys .

See if any of you can carry some corner speed ,

Any links to bodywork or parts??

I like the idea of a motor seal or somethin , even tho its gonna be tough to cheat on such a slow bike . It would be obvious

I can only imagine 15-20 of these on the grid rubbing elbows .

Good times
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Member Amateur
    Bodywork is available from:

Hot Bodies
    Sharkskinz
    Airtech Streamlining

All have online dealers - and Im sure there are local as well.

Member Amateur
    I had already been considering a new way to stay racing with a lower budget. As I write this- everything is going up for sale this weekend. Season cut short by lack of funds. This was my own fault- I should have run a different (not so nice) bike with less displacement. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast and WILL be back. Particularly if we could do some more team endurance racing. But a 250 series sounds great too.

Ninja 250 -yes

Rental -no

Chris Burford
    Rebellion Motorsports

Read this , makes me wanna race right now

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/54...50-Racing.aspx

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER
    Just tell me when to start my build , this will truly separate the men from the boys .

I like the idea of a motor seal or somethin , even tho its gonna be tough to cheat on such a slow bike . It would be obvious

Good times
    Heck yeah that's the kind of racing I want to do. It all comes down to the rider.

Woodcraft makes clip-ons, rear sets and the site say's body work coming soon.
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Senior Member Amateur
    I've seen some older ones on ebay and craigslist for $1500 or less.

What ever happened to the pit bike races discussion? Though some of the bigger pit bikes may be competitive in this class....

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico
    I am interested for sure, curious though if anyone has taken one around HPR to see what kind of lap times it will do. If Joe Average goes out and runs 2:45's on one I doubt we could combine the grid with STGTU without creating a whole bunch of rolling speed bumps.

Also I agree to make it fair for those of us who weigh more than the bike, there might need to be a ballast rule like in horse racing for the jockey types. (Grubbs) :wink:
    Its not my fault you guys eat to much

I vote no ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by toptier
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER

Good times
    Heck yeah that's the kind of racing I want to do. It all comes down to the rider.

Woodcraft makes clip-ons, rear sets and the site say's body work coming soon.
    Currently 3-4 options for bodywork, woodcraft does make bars and rearsets, and a couple options for slip-on exhaust.

I think about $1100 over the cost of the bike is all the more it would take to prep one (if you bought a street one that is...).

Or you could buy one of the ones I bring in...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by racedk6
    Its not my fault you guys eat to much

I vote no ballast.
    I second that vote.
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Pit bike races are for rmminimoto.com ..... bring it !!!!

Are the ninja fuel injected???

If there carburated a good tune will make a decent difference in power .

And would we run a spec slipon exhaust ??

I would wanna put frame sliders on every inch of it too. Have a feeling it will see the pavement a few times ...only in practice tho . ops: ops: :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    they're carbed
    Jon #80

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    For this to work truly as a spec class the bikes would have to be supplied by the MRA or a other designated supplier. All with the same set up and the only thing you can change is the suspension settings. You don't even know which bike you will be riding until you get there and get handed one.
    When I came over to race the FUSA Aprilia Cup Series in 2000 the class was dyno controlled/tested at each round. The limit was 62hp (or 63hp) and while most of us were always 59-62hp others tried to jet their 'street' 2 stroke like a GP bike and the struggled to get 55hp. Kent K from Sport Rider Magazine was one of them as he had lots of GP bike experience, but no 'street bike' tuning experience where the compression is a lot lower. There were races where some of us would spend 1/2 the day trying to detune it a couple of horsepower. The right plugs could gain or lose you 3hp.....anyway :wink:

I lost access to my dyno a while back, but maybe get the bikes down to Bart for a 'dyno tech' inspection at Faster. He could run them, mark the engines with paint and you are good for the season as it would be easy to check the paint marks in tech. The dyno numbers would remain private, but he would know pretty quickly if one was modified or stock.

Spec racing rocks. In the Aprilia Cup Series they had a class within the class for anyone over a certain weight, it was around 185lbs or something. A good idea and it didnt split the start numbers as they did everything together.

Junior Member Novice

250 Ninja Spec class

Most of you probably wouldn't remember me and i only ran really three years but this class would be a good excuse to come back out at a reasonable outlay.

Jay Hollman

formerly MRA 337

Hey gang, here's where it stands at this point:

I'm going to try to buy 5-6 of them here in a couple weeks.

I'm doing everything I can to make this happen, but could use a little support along the way...

Would you want one of them? 2008's will be $4000; 2009 will be $4250

These are fully race prepped, ready to go...

Sidestand mounts have been cutoff (for safety), so these bikes cannot be made to be streetable. Stock Shock and Forks. Stock Foot Pegs.

08 Models:
    All approx 2700 miles
    Woodcraft clipons (on some but not all)
    Area P full carbon fiber exhaust
    Rejetted, shimmed, etc.
    Fairly fresh Bridgestone rubber
    Catalyst Composites, Cheetah or Hotbodies bodywork
    MCProDesign or SBK paint (OEM quality paint - very expensive)
    Misc colors available - black, blue, red, green
    Galfer HH front brake pads
    Fully safety wired
    Full service data
    Mobile 1 oil changed every 500 miles or less
    Rear spools & race stand included

09 Model:
    Approx 900 miles
    Same as above specs

"If" I could have a couple pre-sold, it would make my out of pocket a little easier to swallow.

I'm doing everything I can to put this together. I've already got one pre-sold, and will keep one for myself of course...

So who wants the other 4? :?:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    Hmm, maybe I will just keep mine and race it instead of selling it...
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    I'm going to try to buy 5-6 of them here in a couple weeks.

I'm doing everything I can to make this happen, but could use a little support along the way...

Would you want one of them? 2008's will be $4000; 2009 will be $4250

These are fully race prepped, ready to go...

This is really tempting me to come back next year! I might be in.
    Terry Skogen, MRA #316

Senior Member Expert
    It's official....I'm in.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast