View Poll Results: How Legit is the Interest in The Ninja 250 Spec Class?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not participate in it.

9 16.67%
  • I will participate, and rent a bike.

2 3.70%
  • I will participate and buy a prepped bike.

6 11.11%
  • I will participate and build my own bike.

10 18.52%
  • I am interested, but undecided on the above.

27 50.00%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    P.S. I bought the bike for 2500.- so I am right at the 6k mark all told, amortize the bike purchase over the 3 years that I have raced it and it is significantly less than that.
    To be fair though Lincoln, people like you and I are in the minority and don't spend the kind of money that most people do on their equipment or program... ops:
    True, true...

Just saying it is possible to be a frugal racer, get a ton of seat time and have every bit as much fun (if not more) than the guy that throws cubic dollars at it.
    I guess it comes down to what you want to get out of it. I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be "The Great White Hope" of motorcycle racing. I do it cause I love it...

Keeping my budget in check is about being able to afford to do it long term.
    At this price, I will still be racing when I have to grid the SV against Hoverbikes with warp drives!
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Quote Originally Posted by LMsports
    So far, my only point of contention is the claiming.

I will most likely put better bodywork on it so I can fit it nicely and have a nice paint job to represent those who support me professionally. Also, I may spend more than the next guy on maintenance. Making sure that my investment, although smaller than it would be on my bigger bikes, is still a smart one by taking care of my bike. Lastly, if I purchase a brand new bike from a dealer and start with a known straight and perfect bike, I don't want someones salvage sweetheart with no title and 1000.00.

Other than that, I'm still in.
    +1 , I'm not giving my bike to anyone . I'd spend way to much time making in look fast to let some goon crash it .
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by svracer177
    Quote Originally Posted by metalseth
    I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)
    After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.
    Ha ha... This from the guy that splashed coolant on his windshield so he could bow out of a race 00--00
    Next time I lap you, I'm going for the killswitch.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    I have a good penalty, any bike found cheating will be crushed. :lol:

I'm fine with that. What the hell, it's a rental.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    Why put it in a class it could race up in?

Run it at 12:15 in place of the heat races and move lunch up???

I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)
    HELL YEAH! That's the kind of enthusiasm I'm talking about!

Here's what I have in mind so far:

Could run as a second wave to LWGP as "UltraLWGP" or whatever we call it.

They're already legal for Colorado Class so it would build (read as save?) that grid. They might not WIN the race, but could easily finish in the tire money slots...

Could run as a third wave behind STU/MVO

I thought maybe running it like they do the Superbike stuff - Race 1 Saturday / Race 2 Sunday and then award an overall. (just a thought)

Bone Stock except for the following:

Bodywork
    Clipons
    Rearsets
    Pipe
    Brake Line
    Stock Shock (may revalve/respring)
    Stock Forks (may revalve/respring)

NO MOTOR WORK
    STOCK AIR BOX
    STOCK CARBS (or are they fuel injected?? - but may map/jet as necessary)

And the Kicker!

Claiming Rules....

May claim ANY bike on the grid for: $6000

May TRADE your bike for any bike on the grid for: bike + $1000.

In my opinion this would be more effective than even doing teardowns or sealing the motors. Who would go out and build up a cheater bike knowing that I could just come along next race and trade you my bike for it?

I don't think there is ANY BENEFIT AT ALL to having LWSS and LWSB - because then you've effectively cut the grids in half by giving people the opportunity to build a Superbike. The whole point of this is to keep the costs down, the racing close, the grids solid, and the fun factor high.

I really think this could work, and you guys need to get out of the mindset of how fast or slow they are... It's all relative to the guy you're racing against. If we're all on similar bikes, that's where the fun is at!
    I realize that I don't race but I like Shannon's idea of running it in place of heat races. I have been around the club for four years now and we have yet to do a heat race in that time. It would allow those that do run LWGP and STU/MVO (AKA Shannon) to run an additional race if they so choose to do so. The talk has been to keep it a completely spec class so therefore why not keep the class as that so it truly is that and not having other bikes mixed in with it. Just my thoughts on the matter.....
    Brandon

Senior Member Expert
    They're already legal for Colorado Class so it would build (read as save?) that grid. They might not WIN the race, but could easily finish in the tire money slots...
    Does this mean there is going to be tire money, or ANY money, in Colorado Class for 2011?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Scored51
    Does this mean there is going to be tire money, or ANY money, in Colorado Class for 2011?
    Fill the grid and the $ will follow.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER
    Quote Originally Posted by LMsports
    So far, my only point of contention is the claiming.

I will most likely put better bodywork on it so I can fit it nicely and have a nice paint job to represent those who support me professionally. Also, I may spend more than the next guy on maintenance. Making sure that my investment, although smaller than it would be on my bigger bikes, is still a smart one by taking care of my bike. Lastly, if I purchase a brand new bike from a dealer and start with a known straight and perfect bike, I don't want someones salvage sweetheart with no title and 1000.00.

Other than that, I'm still in.
    +1 , I'm not giving my bike to anyone . I'd spend way to much time making in look fast to let some goon crash it .
    What if the bodywork was left out of the claiming?

I'm just trying to make it a HUGE deterrent to build a cheater bike... I'm open to suggestions - but know that somebody's always that far ahead of the curve with performance enhancements - some of which are difficult to detect.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    When it comes down to it, it is still just club racing. I'm sure the MRA has a protest system in place that we can utilize if in fact we believe someone is cheating. I say just make it easy for this spec class for someone to be called out and stiff penalties in place for found cheaters. I know we are asking a lot for there to be some integrity, but I believe this is the kind of class to believe in with it. I mean, if some fool wants to spend stupid money to win no real contingency money and risk being called out in front of everyone and possibly risk a major fine or club expulsion over something like this, then we're dealing with someone who will take any measure created and distort it.

Member Novice
    How about mixing in the 125 2-strokes with the 250's as well? My issue is similar, with a 160 4-stroke, Triumph 800, and RS125 2-stroke single all of my potential race entries would only be competitive in the same class. I am up for adding another "spec" class, but nobody even has one of these that I know of? Why not cater to the bikes we do have, or be sure that enough interest lives in people WHO WILL ACTUALLY GO BUY/BUILD a bike?
    S. Tally Lawing, MRA #314
    President- Ducati Motor Club
    2010 Class Sponsor- Modern Vintage GTO

Aprilia RS153
    Ducati Monza 160
    Ducati Paul Smart
    Honda NSF120R

Junior Member Novice
    I would be really interested in this type of class. I wouldn't buy a bike, but I'd be more than happy to rent one if it meant I could get back on the race track.

How would the rental situation work? Would the racer be responsible for making sure it passes tech? Would the racer have to supply tires, etc? What happens if we crash it?

Either way I think it's a cool idea!
    Dan Harmon
    Qwiksilver Racing
    MRA #119 CMRA #779

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by qwiksilver119
    I would be really interested in this type of class. I wouldn't buy a bike, but I'd be more than happy to rent one if it meant I could get back on the race track.

How would the rental situation work? Would the racer be responsible for making sure it passes tech? Would the racer have to supply tires, etc? What happens if we crash it?

Either way I think it's a cool idea!
    Here is how a guy that races with us set it up

http://littleredninjette.com/

Senior Member Expert
    For this to work truly as a spec class the bikes would have to be supplied by the MRA or a other designated supplier. All with the same set up and the only thing you can change is the suspension settings. You don't even know which bike you will be riding until you get there and get handed one.

Senior Member Expert
    For this to work truly as a spec class the bikes would have to be supplied by the MRA or a other designated supplier. All with the same set up and the only thing you can change is the suspension settings. You don't even know which bike you will be riding until you get there and get handed one.
    Excellent!

Bart volunteered!!!
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Amateur
    to bad we can't just trust people. I don't like the idea of have to claim a bike. I would much rather have my own.
    Isn't there anything like a tampering seal we could put on the motors?
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

http://www.littleredninjette.com/N250GP082210BIR.wmv

if that doesn't look like fun to you, you're not breathing...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

glenngsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    P.S. I bought the bike for 2500.- so I am right at the 6k mark all told, amortize the bike purchase over the 3 years that I have raced it and it is significantly less than that.
    To be fair though Lincoln, people like you and I are in the minority and don't spend the kind of money that most people do on their equipment or program... ops:
    Tony, you gotta be careful here. You have other expenses involved like changing the oil, brake pads, water, and a little chain lube every once in awhile. 8)

Member Amateur
    Here's an interesting article - from a racer - former AMA racers perspecitve...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/54...50-Racing.aspx

glenngsxr
    http://www.littleredninjette.com/N250GP082210BIR.wmv

if that doesn't look like fun to you, you're not breathing...
    Oh now that's just silly. That would totally work for me.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Excellent!

Bart volunteered!!!
    I will more than happy to do the prep work if somebody will pony up the cash for the bikes and parts.
    This is where moneybags Dave comes in. :twisted:

I think that to set it up so that you CAN'T own your own bike, that would detract from the interest.

Maybe we make it so that there is tech inspection after EVERY race?

Maybe you start the season and the tech guy gets the chance to look at your stuff, look inside the motor, and then seals it?

If you break the seal, it needs to be re-teched...

or maybe, just maybe, people will see this for what it is - and race like gentlemen (and ladies) and just race their butts off on a stock bike like prescribed by the rules?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Member Amateur
    Maybe the Keep It Simple Stupid principal:

Everyone understands the intent of the class - if you have to have the fastest bike via pumping money into it - versus your riding ability - dont do it - cheaters not allowed.

IF someone is caught cheating - they are not allowed to race in the class for 1 calendar year (and must pass an "open motor" inspection)

OR

Pay a stiff enuff "fine" to continue to race (stiff enuff to keep em from doing it) - but only after the bike has been opened, inspected for compliance and sealed.

I think there is merit to starting simple and easy - the cheaters will likely become both visible on and off the track.

I dont believe any of the stakeholders or prospective racers want to see too much red tape or make it difficult on those responsible for ensuring the compliance. (does Bart really want to crack open say 12 bikes every weekend in addition to the rest of his tech ??)

Its a pre-season meeting (and continual reminder) where everyone signs a simple SPEC contract/gentlemens agreement that they will comply with the SPEC and if they don't the consequences are spelled out - pay up or sit out... and be open to the public ridicule of being known as the "cheater guy/gal".

Tony - thanks for not letting this idea simply go away!!

Good work here folks - lets keep this going all the way to reality!

Senior Member Expert
    While I see the appeal, what if the bike was something a little more competitive in other classes, say an EX650?

good reasons to go this route:

1) In addtion to a "spec" class the bike would easily fit into other class structures that already exist in our club (lwgp, stu, LW endurance)

2) The consumer "demand" for EX650's is pretty low right now, vs the demand for Ninja 250's being pretty high. They are relatively easy to find on the cheap (often not any more expensive than a ninja 250)

3) Our tire vendors already stock the proper size tires for them, riders could remain loyal to the brands they are already using.

The same set of rules could still apply, limited modification to participate in the "cup" class.

Thoughts?

a little more food for thinking....

Class type: Amateur
    Race Type: MRA Sprint

I've been thinking a lot about this and would love to see us give it a go in the club. I think for it to be viable at all the bikes have to at least be mildly competitive in some other classes, the bike has to be in regular production and there has to be a good stock of parts availability. This leads me to the Kawasaki EX650. Class legal in: LW endurance, LW GP, Twins U, both novice classes, both amateur classes. Mods would be limited to exhaust, proper brake lines, bodywork and expendables (tires / brake pads). If the stock rear shock is rebuildable (I don't know) then internals of the suspension would be a permissible modification, if not then an aftermarket shock could be installed. Forks would be internals only, stock tubes must be used. No spec tire. Spec fuel is pump gas (with a posted specific gravity range).
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

JohnGarc
    I 100% agree with the 250 Ninja Spec class.. In fact, I am going to get one ready for next year. .. . but HEY, want cheap racing??? Don't forget about us little old guys.. This one was just built by me over my STAYcation holiday. Its a CB125s... Granted not big enough for the track, IMI for sure but you get my drift??? Ala, CB 160,350, - RD 350, 400 - GS And GT series... Vintage racing at is finest. Talk about Cheap!!!! My race weekend for this little guy including my RD is Gas and Entry Fees. Tires are less then 50 for the set... hahaha

Scott, the way I have it configured in my head now is as follows:

The bikes are already legal (and probably competitive in Colo Class).

If we ran them as a "two race per weekend series" for an overall weekend championship then there's two more...

Three classes that you KNOW you'll be competitive in should suffice for value of racing oppty vs. purchase cost of the bike.

"IF" the grid grows to the point that it deserves to run by itself, then we look at that - but I'm reluctant to throw another class out there that might only have 6-8 bikes to start.

Honestly I don't see the bikes being competitive in the current lightweight classes - but I guess people "could" race up if they wanted to...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast