View Poll Results: How Legit is the Interest in The Ninja 250 Spec Class?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not participate in it.

9 16.67%
  • I will participate, and rent a bike.

2 3.70%
  • I will participate and buy a prepped bike.

6 11.11%
  • I will participate and build my own bike.

10 18.52%
  • I am interested, but undecided on the above.

27 50.00%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    :shock:

WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THIS SOONER?????
    You're not implying that people wouldn't follow the rules, are you? 8)

Of course we'd have to allow slipper clutches... and Brembo MCs and kit harnesses - to be fair :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by gsnyder828
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    :shock:

WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THIS SOONER?????
    You're not implying that people wouldn't follow the rules, are you? 8)

Of course we'd have to allow slipper clutches... and Brembo MCs and kit harnesses - to be fair :wink:
    And this is why I like you Mr. Snyder!
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Junior Member Novice
    This low budget way of racing may even get people to actually carry corner speed in this part of the country. Just think, spend less and learn to go faster. Strange concept that they teach across those waters on both sides of us.

Gallant you can ride my mini's any time.

Senior Member Expert
    What is this corner speed of which you speak?
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by svracer177
    I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)
    After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by metalseth
    I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)
    After your last performance on the 250 I'd rather you stayed home and didn't give other clubs the impression we are all that slow.
    Now this is getting good. Anyone who can talk trash like this is more than welcome to ride with us any day.

WELCOME TO THE MRA!!
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER
    I'll build one in a heartbeat and come whoop some arse :lol:

Has to be stock motor ( no upgrades except air filter and pipe ) no supersport bs just stock motor . And chassis mods. Like suspension brakes and gearing ect ... gotta be close as far as motor goes ......

That makes good racing
    I agree. Make it as close to stock to keep the price to setup lower.

This would be exciting if this happens. I love the thought of the results of the race will come down to the rider, and hopefully it will be some really close racing.
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Senior Member Amateur
    I think that a spec class of any kind is a good idea. Hell, Make one for each weight class. Have frequent and random inspections from the head of tech. Make the penalties for cheating big.... It can be done and it would be awesome!! I'm down to race a 250. I'd rent it or buy it.

Senior Member Amateur
    I race a 99 sv that is close to stock. I average 400.- per weekend, spending around 3500.- per year. That includes tires, food, fuel, water, race fee's and everything. I bought a used set of take-offs at the last round of last year and they are finally shot now. I run 5 races per weekend. STGTO, LWE, LWGP, STGTO and MVU. I could go faster if I wasn't so damn stingy on tires. And yes, I should have replaced them a little sooner since I crashed Sunday due to tires that I reduced to greased poop. Yep, I am frequently dismally out gunned, but Sunday I had the most fun I have had in recent memory banging bars for 5 laps with Anthony on his 1198s Duc. (Right up until I wadded it up). I bet he had more than 100 hp on me. Like Dave said, gimme a tricycle and I'll race you.

Replace clip on and master cylinder reservoir, un-tweak rearset and a little glass work and I will be back on the grid for pueblo for around 100.- .

I probably wouldn't race the 2fiddy class for the simple reason that it isn't realistically going to be any cheaper than I already am, and nowhere near the seat time or speed.

That said, I am all for anything that makes the club more money and puts more people on the track! YAY RACING!!!!
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Senior Member Amateur
    P.S. I bought the bike for 2500.- so I am right at the 6k mark all told, amortize the bike purchase over the 3 years that I have raced it and it is significantly less than that.
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Senior Member Expert
    Would you have interest in participating in a Ninja 250 Spec Race series?
    YES
    Would you buy/build a Ninja 250?
    If the price was right and the racing was plentiful
    Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $200 - $300 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)
    NO... What would happen if I wrecked it
    Would it be an additional race to your current program, or would it replace you current steed?
    I don't know

Member Amateur
    Would it make any sense to divide up a 250 class into weight categories to keep things fair? By weight...I mean rider weight without gear. You could run a fatty class (which I would be a part of) and a girly boy class. I imagine 140-200 covers most of the MRA with a few exceptions. You could do a minus 170 class and a plus 170 class. It would not be too hard to have a scale handy at pre-tech or something. Just an idea.

Senior Member Amateur
    Sounds like fun to me. Can we make people who weigh in like Grubbs run on flat tires to make it even?

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    HELL YEAH! That's the kind of enthusiasm I'm talking about!

Here's what I have in mind so far:

Could run as a second wave to LWGP as "UltraLWGP" or whatever we call it.

They're already legal for Colorado Class so it would build (read as save?) that grid. They might not WIN the race, but could easily finish in the tire money slots...

Could run as a third wave behind STU/MVO

I thought maybe running it like they do the Superbike stuff - Race 1 Saturday / Race 2 Sunday and then award an overall. (just a thought)

Bone Stock except for the following:

Bodywork
    Clipons
    Rearsets
    Pipe
    Brake Line
    Stock Shock (may revalve/respring)
    Stock Forks (may revalve/respring)

NO MOTOR WORK
    STOCK AIR BOX
    STOCK CARBS (or are they fuel injected?? - but may map/jet as necessary)

I don't think there is ANY BENEFIT AT ALL to having LWSS and LWSB - because then you've effectively cut the grids in half by giving people the opportunity to build a Superbike. The whole point of this is to keep the costs down, the racing close, the grids solid, and the fun factor high.

I really think this could work, and you guys need to get out of the mindset of how fast or slow they are... It's all relative to the guy you're racing against. If we're all on similar bikes, that's where the fun is at!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by chris fuller
    I think that a spec class of any kind is a good idea. Hell, Make one for each weight class. Have frequent and random inspections from the head of tech. Make the penalties for cheating big.... It can be done and it would be awesome!! I'm down to race a 250. I'd rent it or buy it.
    I have a good penalty, any bike found cheating will be crushed. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    P.S. I bought the bike for 2500.- so I am right at the 6k mark all told, amortize the bike purchase over the 3 years that I have raced it and it is significantly less than that.
    To be fair though Lincoln, people like you and I are in the minority and don't spend the kind of money that most people do on their equipment or program... ops:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    I am interested for sure, curious though if anyone has taken one around HPR to see what kind of lap times it will do. If Joe Average goes out and runs 2:45's on one I doubt we could combine the grid with STGTU without creating a whole bunch of rolling speed bumps.

Also I agree to make it fair for those of us who weigh more than the bike, there might need to be a ballast rule like in horse racing for the jockey types. (Grubbs) :wink:
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Amateur
    Tony, we have to do this.

Without beating a dead horse, this is a great, fun way for guys like me (Who have now found them self's with a wife, baby on the way etc) to get back on the track.

I don't care if they are slow. I don't care if I get spanked. I don't care if I come in dead last. I just want to race again!

Dude count me in if you can get this together for the last HPR race and have a rental bike available-

Dodd
    Battlesquirrel Motorsports
    Winter Park PUB- www.winterparkpub.com
    STM Suspension- www.STMSuspension.com

Member Amateur
    For the big guys vs small guys - a wave start - big guys in front - small guys delayed in the back - and as we all know about racing - fast is not necessarily directly related to size and weight - but the wave start can even it out a bit for sure and make for some compelling final laps

vintage 160/175 racing and 350 spec racing share a very common formula
    fun - cheap - competitive - camaraderie. The bikes become the common denominator - the rest is all good!

Looks like enuff interest to field a race - would love to see you keep the 250 spec race seperate from Co Class - so I can race both a 250 and my 160 - and 250 riders can also enter the Co Class...

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Why put it in a class it could race up in?

Run it at 12:15 in place of the heat races and move lunch up???

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    HELL YEAH! That's the kind of enthusiasm I'm talking about!

Here's what I have in mind so far:

Could run as a second wave to LWGP as "UltraLWGP" or whatever we call it.

They're already legal for Colorado Class so it would build (read as save?) that grid. They might not WIN the race, but could easily finish in the tire money slots...

Could run as a third wave behind STU/MVO

I thought maybe running it like they do the Superbike stuff - Race 1 Saturday / Race 2 Sunday and then award an overall. (just a thought)

Bone Stock except for the following:

Bodywork
    Clipons
    Rearsets
    Pipe
    Brake Line
    Stock Shock (may revalve/respring)
    Stock Forks (may revalve/respring)

NO MOTOR WORK
    STOCK AIR BOX
    STOCK CARBS (or are they fuel injected?? - but may map/jet as necessary)

And the Kicker!

Claiming Rules....

May claim ANY bike on the grid for: $6000

May TRADE your bike for any bike on the grid for: bike + $1000.

In my opinion this would be more effective than even doing teardowns or sealing the motors. Who would go out and build up a cheater bike knowing that I could just come along next race and trade you my bike for it?

I don't think there is ANY BENEFIT AT ALL to having LWSS and LWSB - because then you've effectively cut the grids in half by giving people the opportunity to build a Superbike. The whole point of this is to keep the costs down, the racing close, the grids solid, and the fun factor high.

I really think this could work, and you guys need to get out of the mindset of how fast or slow they are... It's all relative to the guy you're racing against. If we're all on similar bikes, that's where the fun is at!

Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico
    I am interested for sure, curious though if anyone has taken one around HPR to see what kind of lap times it will do. If Joe Average goes out and runs 2:45's on one I doubt we could combine the grid with STGTU without creating a whole bunch of rolling speed bumps.
    As an example... at Buttonwillow in Cali they run these bikes - 13 - 17 bikes on the grid. The lap times at buttonwillow are almost exactly the same as HPR. I'll compare 250's, SV's, and Superbike 600's.

250 Ninja's
    Fastest Lap Fast Guy - 2:10
    Fastest Lap Slow Guy - 2:22

SV's
    Fastest Lap Fast Guy - 1:55
    Fastest Lap Slow Guy - 2:20

600 Superbike
    Fastest Lap Fast Guy - 1:48
    Fastest Lap Slow Guy - 2:09

So if my math is even remotely close, in a 7 lap race the fastest 600 guy would lap the entire field of 250's - BUT ONLY ONCE, and the slowest guys would get lapped twice.

Now obviously we wouldn't run them with 600 superbike... but this was just a ridiculous comparison for clarity.

Based on the SV lap times, the 250 race would be maybe a minute and a half longer than our current LWGP or STU if we ran it by itself - but since they would run together - then the length of the race would be determined by the fastest fast guy - not the slowest slow guy.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    Why put it in a class it could race up in?

Run it at 12:15 in place of the heat races and move lunch up???
    This would be an option as well... just didn't want to step on toes by messing up the schedule.

Obviously if it's well attended, then it deserves to stand on it's own... and allowing them to ride up = more value for the rider and more $$ for the club.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    So far, my only point of contention is the claiming.

I will most likely put better bodywork on it so I can fit it nicely and have a nice paint job to represent those who support me professionally. Also, I may spend more than the next guy on maintenance. Making sure that my investment, although smaller than it would be on my bigger bikes, is still a smart one by taking care of my bike. Lastly, if I purchase a brand new bike from a dealer and start with a known straight and perfect bike, I don't want someones salvage sweetheart with no title and 1000.00.

Other than that, I'm still in.

Junior Member Novice
    Ha ha... This from the guy that splashed coolant on his windshield so he could bow out of a race 00--00
    CRA #177.

Junior Member Novice
    Ha ha... This from the guy that splashed coolant on his windshield so he could bow out of a race 00--00
    You two are making me want to borrow one and bring it down there. You guys would LOVE High Plains.
    Lithium Motorsports
    Pirelli
    Leatt Brace

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast