View Poll Results: How Legit is the Interest in The Ninja 250 Spec Class?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not participate in it.

9 16.67%
  • I will participate, and rent a bike.

2 3.70%
  • I will participate and buy a prepped bike.

6 11.11%
  • I will participate and build my own bike.

10 18.52%
  • I am interested, but undecided on the above.

27 50.00%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

So it's been discussed a zillion times on these forums, but nobody's ever actually stepped up and done anything about it.

I think maybe it's time... for "Ninja 250 Spec Racing".

With some quick initial cost estimates I think you can run AN ENTIRE SEASON, including tires, gas, entry fees AND BIKE for between $4500 and $6500. :shock:

For the past several years COST has continually come up as a big deterrent to racing, and has cut people's racing seasons (and even careers) short. You spend $6500+ on a used 600, then $500 - $1000 per weekend, and then have to continually spend more and more to keep it competitive. If you could have the same amount of fun, on a playing field which is substantially leveled (you can only trick out a 250 so much...), for less than half the cost - would you do it?

I am contemplating putting together a small fleet of these bikes which would be available for rent/sale so people can see what the fun and excitement is all about... As the interest picks up, I'd get and prep more bikes for rent, and maybe we could eventually see grids like the 25 - 40 bikes they routinely get at AFM and WSMC in California.

So, the questions I'm curious about are:

Would you have interest in participating in a Ninja 250 Spec Race series?

Would you buy/build a Ninja 250?

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $250 - $350 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)

Would it be an additional race to your current program, or would it replace you current steed?

If there is enough interest, I "might" possibly even be able to have them put together in time for the final round of the year at HPR to do a Demonstration Race and let people check them out up close and personal like...

So what do you say? Way Cool, Sorta Cool, Totally Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), or what...?

There's room on the current raceday schedule to run them as a second wave to two classes, and they're already Colorado Class Legal... so there's nothing but more bikes on the grid and no downside that I can see.

Please chime in ..... now.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert

Re: Low Budget Racing... yes Virginia, there is a way...

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins

DG: Yes.

DG: Maybe.

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $200 - $300 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)

DG: Yes. Only if I can put the tires of choice on it.

Would it be an additional race to your current program, or would it replace you current steed?

DG: Both.

So what do you say? Way Cool, Sorta Cool, Totally Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), or what...?

DG: You are totally gay. But, I am in.

Or, do this with 1999-2001 R6s and lets do a MV R6 Cup.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert

Senior Member Expert
    I'd be interested! I was even contemplating a CB 160 for kicks...
    Boulder Motor Sports - RhinoMoto - American Express

Mohammer Time! Expert
    What class would you run them with?

Senior Member Expert
    Dave that is the 650 not the 250. :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    Dave that is the 650 not the 250. :lol:
    Sshhhhh!!!!

Senior Member Amateur

Double post
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Senior Member Amateur

Definitely YES

YES

Would you rent a Ninja 250 if it cost only $200 - $300 per weekend? (That's less than most of you spend on tires, by the way...)
    Probably

Additional
    Jon #80
    2011Sponsors: ABATE, All Pro Science, Armour Bodies, Aurora Honda, LeoVince Exhaust, Renthal, Un!nk Printworks, Woodcraft, XBam

Senior Member Expert
    Duh, I would totally rent one!!!! I can race a lightweight bike for an entire weekend for $200-300? I'll try it and let you know after wards whether I think it's gay or not! Who WOULDN'T try it? :shock:

If we had an Ultra Lightweight class the winner would make back most of that cost in tire money. :-k
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Member Amateur
    YES - I would race in the 250 Spec class

YES - I would likely buy/build one

YES - it would be in addition to my 160 - watch out - there are 2 of us now!

I think this is a great idea - and like my 160 - altho its proven to be the slowest bike in the MRA - or very close to it - I am hooked - love it and want to do more and Im starting my racing at 43 yr old - it could be a great low cost entry point - or a saving grace for those who can no longer - or want to - spend the big dollars!

Junior Member Novice
    Absolutely.

Depending on how quickly I become hooked.

Yes, especially as a means to determine if it would be something I would want to proceed more aggressively with.

As of now, an addition to classes I am currently running.
    Adam "Swift" McCarty MRA 147
    Think Tank Tattoo, Lithium Motorsports, Northern Colorado Euro

Senior Member Expert
    My first thought is that we try to field lightweight SS & SB grids before an ultra LW class, but if someone else is willing to risk capital to get it running - I say go for it.

That said, I won't run it.

I suspect it'll be a bit of a novelty... until people try to climb the hill out of T11 and realize it's quicker to dismount and walk the bike up the hill. What do those things make, 20-25hp? My 70hp SV can't accelerate up that hill... (of course, if I lost some weight it might...)

Running my bone stock motored, SS prepped SV will cost me less than $6k this year - for the full season... including the bike. (knock on wood... assuming I don't crash the shit out of it next round) - so I think anyone interested in cheap racing could feasibly run a Kawi 650, SV650 or other LW bike for small money and have way more options for spare parts, etc. And over 2x the HP. And 4 classes to run in if we add LWSS and LWSB. I can't imagine hanging around with a Ninja 250 to run 1 sprint each day.

And quite honestly - those things would be dead dangerous to include in LWEnd with the size/speed of the MWEnd field. Someone will get cornholed...

If it does run... please cut the race to 5 laps. 7 laps will take almost 30m on those things. :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    The CRA started one of these classes this year. So far it was a bit of a slow start but has been gaining momentum throughout the year as people saw it become a reality and have started purchasing and entering bikes. A new company just formed and started renting 250's to support the series there as well. So far it seems as though they are well received and at one of the fastest tracks in the country (Brainerd). So...

Yes to all of the above.

I'll build one in a heartbeat and come whoop some arse :lol:

Has to be stock motor ( no upgrades except air filter and pipe ) no supersport bs just stock motor . And chassis mods. Like suspension brakes and gearing ect ... gotta be close as far as motor goes ......

That makes good racing
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by gsnyder828
    Running my bone stock motored, SS prepped SV will cost me less than $6k this year - for the full season... including the bike.
    I preached this right along side you Geoff. The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.

The point of the 250s is that it would be so ridiculous to overbore the thing or put Marchesinis on it that this might be a class that actually has a decent chance of staying "Supersport".

Yup; the bikes are ridiculously slow, especially at altitude. Yup; I would rather ride a bone stock SV650. Unfortunately, no one can resist not spending themselves into bankruptcy even when they race a ladies sport tourer.

I will race a damn tricycle if someone will line up against me and I can afford to do so, and if it takes a 250 for me to be able to do so AND AFFORD TO DO SO COMPETITIVELY, sign me up.

(this is also why the 50/100cc minis have always been so appealing to me, so possibly I am odd man out here...)

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Running my bone stock motored, SS prepped SV will cost me less than $6k this year - for the full season... including the bike.
    I preached this right along side you Geoff. The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.

The point of the 250s is that it would be so ridiculous to overbore the thing or put Marchesinis on it that this might be a class that actually has a decent chance of staying "Supersport".

Yup; the bikes are ridiculously slow, especially at altitude. Yup; I would rather ride a bone stock SV650. Unfortunately, no one can resist not spending themselves into bankruptcy even when they race a ladies sport tourer.

I will race a damn tricycle if someone will line up against me and I can afford to do so, and if it takes a 250 for me to be able to do so AND AFFORD TO DO SO, sign me up.

(this is also why the 50/100cc minis have always been so appealing to me, so possibly I am odd man out here...)
    Race minimoto , 20 doods on the same bike , what's the difference between 12 and 14 HP , just my ballzz

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER
    Race minimoto , 20 doods on the same bike , what's the difference between 12 and 14 HP , just my ballzz
    Your nutz are worth 2 HP? :shock:

(You are right though. Nothing sucks more than getting beat by a 11 year old kid like Nicky Wimbauer used to do to us at IMI on a 50. Or Tracy S for that matter.)

Come on Dave , I know yu want to , ..... plus I'm sick of me and schram kicking everyone's butt . We need more " fast " doods to show us some tire .( turtle and ara are actually rippin it up these days ) . Trust me. It's fun and super competitive. And cheap.

But a 250 at high planes .... its fkn on

Junior Member Novice
    I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)
    CRA #177.

Senior Member Amateur
    Im game for it, I weigh 150lbs after ive eaten. Not my worrie if someones eating too many strudles and dougnuts to have fun on a 250. Id rent it cause beating on rental cars has prepped me all my life for this event. (really cause im a cheap bastard)

Yes its gay, but who cares if we are all doing it.
    Anyway to couple this with some kinda superstreet thing? I would have been in long before this year if I could have rented a small bike racing against other similar small bikes.

just my 2.13 cents worth.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by davy4575
    Im game for it, I weigh 150lbs after ive eaten. Not my worrie if someones eating too many strudles and dougnuts to have fun on a 250. Id rent it cause beating on rental cars has prepped me all my life for this event. (really cause im a cheap bastard)

Yes its gay, but who cares if we are all doing it.
    Anyway to couple this with some kinda superstreet thing? I would have been in long before this year if I could have rented a small bike racing against other similar small bikes.

just my 2.13 cents worth.
    I weigh 195 pounds and race against all you girl weight types. And the weight makes a little difference, not much....
    CRA #177.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by svracer177
    I've raced a 250 starting last August with the CRA in MN. I'd love to come out there and kick your asses on it. So please put together a class. 8)
    HELL YEAH!!

Senior Member Expert
    The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.
    All true - but that's a function of the LWGP and STGTU rules, a LWSS class would solve all those problems... no middleweight 749s, no overbores, no Marchesinis, etc. And especially no cheater F042s! :shock: :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    The problem lies in that you are not racing against other 650s. You are racing against 673s or 690s with megacycle cams and falicon cranks. You might have 160 DOTs on your bike, but the 749R next to you on the grid is setting on 16.5 slicks.
    All true - but that's a function of the LWGP and STGTU rules, a LWSS class would solve all those problems... no middleweight 749s, no overbores, no Marchesinis, etc. And especially no cheater F042s! :shock: :lol:
    :shock:

WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THIS SOONER?????

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast