Thread: Passing DIY catch can through tech

Member Amateur

Passing DIY catch can through tech

I have a question about the tech compliance of a little project I’m working on. Short story is that I am sick of getting oil and combustion byproducts in my airbox via the crankcase vent, they have actually caused some plug fouling, but I don’t want to run the mod where the crankcase is vented to the exhaust via the PAIR valves. So I am putting in a catch can between the crankcase vent and the airbox, to hopefully collect at least some of the gunk.

I plan to use a compressor air filter / moisture trap as the catch can. It is the 1/4” model, very similar to the image below:

The plastic is thick, much thicker than the plastic on the catch can at the end of the airbox drain hose, and is rated to 150 psi.

The filter I got from Lowe’s is a little different, and originally had a drain valve on the bottom that contained a check valve. I wasn’t happy with the air tightness of it, so I replaced it with some brass plumbing fittings and I don't plan to use the fitting to drain the unit (I will just unscrew the clear plastic bowl from the top metal part of the filter). Plumbing fittings are tapered, and I have thread seal tape underneath, so these aren’t going anywhere.

I intend to put the catch can on the left side of my bike (’06 Kawi ZX6R), right against the countersprocket cover. I haven’t figured out what to secure it to yet, but the attachment will be secure and safety wired.

My question is whether this device will pass tech. I don’t want to put safety wire on the plumbing fittings (they are hollow), but like I mentioned the taper of the thread and the thread seal tape make it nearly impossible that they will come loose. If I have to, I guess I could use a hose clamp around the fitting and safety wire that to something, but I would rather avoid more safety wire.

Thanks.
    [/url]
    MRA #158
    TSM Racing

Thanks to Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Amsoil, and GoPro for their generous support!

On those rare days when I'm actually quick, an additional thanks to Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuels, and Ferodo Brakes for throwing me the occasional bone!

And thanks to Western Orthopedics for bolting me back together!

Member Amateur
    Forgot to mention that I pulled the filter element out of the filter body. I have no need to filter the crankcase air, just want to condense out the oil, and the air path through the filter body is convoluted enough to accomplish a sufficient level of condensation. If it turns out it's not doing enough, I will probably stuff a stainless steel scuff pad in there to add surface area.
    MRA #158
    TSM Racing

Thanks to Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Amsoil, and GoPro for their generous support!

On those rare days when I'm actually quick, an additional thanks to Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuels, and Ferodo Brakes for throwing me the occasional bone!

And thanks to Western Orthopedics for bolting me back together!

Senior Member Expert
    I think the heavier you make the parts you add the better..... for the rest of us. :lol:
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    It would pass tech but I would not do it that way, if you look at the kit parts from kawasaki you will see a aux baffle tank that is made for this very reason.
    If you really want to have some fun put a vacuum pump on it and you will actually make more HPs.