Thread: 1973 Mercedes 280SEL Excellent Condition

Senior Member Amateur

1973 Mercedes 280SEL Excellent Condition

1973 Mercedes 280SEL - Just posting up for a friend, this is a sweet-ass ride in excellent condition. Car is located in Salida.
    Link to details, contact info and tons of pics: http://web.me.com/dangerous4/Dangero..._for_sale.html

Senior Member Expert
    I had one about 20 years ago. What a rush. Big car, 280lbs torquemada with 280 ponies!
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    This is a very desirable car to the right person and if I had the room I'd buy it but I'm going to pass and say that is a sweet ride. I will let a friend know who's a Mercedes wrench and he very may well be interested.
    Thanks for the temptation

Member Amateur
    Very purrty (I'm not much of a Benz man, but my father has always been and I can appreciate them, at least), but it can't be a '73 model. The S-class went to the W116 chassis for the 1973 model year. The only two years when the 280SEL 4.5 was made in the W108 chassis (which is pictured) were 1971 and 1972.

In many ways, the W108 chassis is more beautiful than the W116. The W116 is the more recognizable, but the W108 is more classic.

Fred or Jon, do you remember if the fuel injection on the SE/SEL models was electronic or mechanical? I seem to remember Mercedes had a really interesting mechanical injection system for a while. Probably a nightmare to service, but interesting nonetheless.
    MRA #158
    TSM Racing

Thanks to Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Amsoil, and GoPro for their generous support!

On those rare days when I'm actually quick, an additional thanks to Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuels, and Ferodo Brakes for throwing me the occasional bone!

And thanks to Western Orthopedics for bolting me back together!