The following supersport rule modifications have been proposed thusfar

Quote Originally Posted by sheispoison
Add Rule:
2.2.2.B The following items may be added or replaced with other than OEM parts:
a. Case guards.
b. Fork brace.
c. Fire retardant foam. Foam may be installed in fuel tanks.
d. Steering damper.
e) Standard and slipper clutch assembly (steve g.)
f) Windscreen(carl s.)
(carl s.)

The question I have to ask in this situation is at what point does a supersport bike become a superbike? We already allow brembo master cylinders in supersport, which most clubs don't allow.

When I was thinking about it a couple years ago (when we had a big supersport rules BLOWOUT) I was thinking that if I alone were making the rules I would stop at the point where major mechanical items were being changed. This would include things like the clutch and master cylinder, as both can have a major impact on the performance of a motorcycle.

An aftermarket clutch, slipper or otherwise, can greatly reduce the rotating mass attached to the crankshaft, and therefore makes a difference in the performance of the motorcycle. Should we also allow reduced weight flywheels? It bolts on just like a clutch. How about eliminating the charging system? What about removing the crankshaft, and lightening / balancing it? I realize that I'm not racing supersport and shouldn't care too much, but really, at what point does a supersport bike become a superbike? I would likely vote against this change.

The windscreen.....I'm not sure that I can see how it matters one little bit. I just can't see how an aftermarket windscreen could offer a major competitive advantage. (even if it does, the advantage would be minor compared to that of a slipper clutch), so I would likely favor this change.

Another thing to consider as we make supersport rules is how it affects our ability to host riders from other clubs. If we put our rules too far out of line with those of other clubs, then those racers may not come race with us. On the other side, we may prevent ourselves from being to go and race with other clubs as our bikes wouldn't be supersport legal there.

My .02