Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove ROR GTU section 2.4.1.5

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munch
    Out of curiosity, what's the ROR-U payout been for the last race? With a light grid (and given we pay out to 20th), what did the last 5 or so positions end up getting paid?
    You'd have to get that from Treasurer Lisa Gaimara lgaimara@gmail.com
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I think you lose entries, and no one really pays much of a contingency these days as it is. Yamaha only pays for the supersport classes and nothing at that. I also think the club will lose revenue and see fewer overall entries for a weekend, why build a bike for one class? By combining the two classes aren't we eliminating all of the revenue the club sees from MWSB and OSB?

I love seeing OSB as a prelude to ROR and I assume people feel the same about MWSB.

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Rybo and I were just talking about this...

What if we re-branded them as:

Race of the Rockies Middleweight Superbike

and

Race of the Rockies Open Superbike

That would keep the classes recognizable to the contingency payors, as well as allow us to put the MRA ROR purse ON TOP of the manufacturer contingency.

That would be a decent payout on most weekends (assuming the manufacturers come back with their $$).

Qualifying would remain in place, classes would be 14 laps, surcharge applies to grow the payout.

Two concerns:

One is that some of the MWSB guys may opt out which would cut overall entries and payout.

Two is that ROR is a revenue-neutral class for the club - which means that we pay back out all that we take in. Even if it went away altogether, there would be no net loss to the club. OSB and MWSB are revenue-positive for the club. By doing this we are essentially taking two revenue streams away from the club.

Thoughts?

Mohammer Time! Expert
    My suggestion:
    Do not kill ANY classes, it kills revenue.

Up the buy in, basically a put up or shut up approach. A bigger buy in results in a larger purse.

Base the depth of the payout on the grid size ie pay 30% of the grid or just pay the top 10 or 15.

Look for a class sponsor to subsidize the payouts, obviously the hardest part.

Promote the hell out of it and the cash that is available if you win/run up front like WSMC does/did with the Toyota cup race. Give guys outside our club an excuse to come here and race and maybe we can hook a few and spread the word.

Make RORU/O the PREMIER classes to showcase the fastest racers/bikes in the club not just a place to fill grid spots

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Hi Aaron and Shannon! This is a good discussion and I'd love to hear your suggestions.

We currently have 2 'premier' classes and both are under attended. How do we increase the RoR grids? Or maybe a better question is why aren't more people entering RoR?

*and remember this was Rob's idea. :shock: 8)

Senior Member Expert
    After thinking about this more, talking with Wyeth and a few other folks I'm not sure I like the MWSB / ROR-U OSB / ROR-O combo.

1) ROR-O riders already only have about 3 places to ride a bike that they have a lot invested in to race. ROR-O, OSB, O-END. If we drop OSB then those riders only have 2 classes to race on a given weekend. I may be wrong, but that seems like a mighty big investment of time and money to race only two classes.

2) MWSB riders and ROR-U riders don't have the overlap that the ROR-O and OSB classes have. I think this is because a number of the riders in MWSB haven't graduated to ROR yet and are still running amateur. Making MWSB be ROR means that we would either have to drop the "finish top 10 in amateur and graduate to ROR" rule, or that we are going to lose a significant number of entries in ROR-U / MWSB
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Rick Grosse had a light bulb suggestion for the RoR classes today. What if we keep both classes and they grid up at the same time in two separate waves? Scored separately, separate purses/contingency all the same as now.

I can think of a lot of benefits to this idea. The one con that comes to mind are the riders who run both. Unfortunately Rick is one of those racers. ops: Sorry Rick I had to repeat your good idea!
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Only other prob I see running them combined is they are our premiere classes and as such I think they should be run by themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12