Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting on behalf of Dave Hetzler regarding Pueblo

Posting on behalf of Dave Hetzler regarding Pueblo

First I appreciate all of the MRA staff and there effort in trying to add as many tracks onto the schedule as they can. But there are a number of reasons I think we should not race Pueblo.

Pueblo has not shown any respect to the MRA in having any open track days for the bikes, making any REAL improvements to the facility and now the city of Pueblo is trying to choke the life outta the Vendors that support the MRA? How about we show some support to the Venders that support us and NOT race any events at Pueblo? Has the City of Pueblo forgotten about all of the revenue the MRA generates to the local restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc?

I too think the track surface sucks, but realize it sucks for everyone, so I show up and race, but to me enough is enough. In my opinion (as well as much of the club, just look at the poor attendance) cancel the two Pueblo events, THE MRA IS GOING TO LOSE A LOT OF MONEY, SO WHAT’S THE POINT? Make the two HPR events that follow, double point’s events.

Dave Hetzler
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Here are MY thoughts on Dave's email:

I'm afraid that this is turning into another LaJunta. Where the city made it clear that they did not want motorcycles any longer. The were unwilling to make the appropriate changes to make it safe for motorcycles (NON-money costing changes). Then several years go by and the are crying because we no longer race there. Guess they miss the several thousand dollars that the MRA brought to the city.

Is Pueblo doing the same thing? Lets face it. If we get down there and OUR tire vendors are unable to setup and change tires What are we going to do? We certainly can't race on warn out tires or rain tires in my case. The vendors I've spoken to have filled out the appropriate paper work but are waiting to get their City of Pueblo vendor license in the mail. Is Pueblo going to chase them off if they can't produce them? Why is it taking so long for the city to provide this paperwork?

I enjoy having a variety of race tracks to race at. However, if they are making it so painfully difficult for us to rent the facility where do we draw the line?

Don't get me wrong. I like Pueblo. The track is fun! The bumps don't bother me..That's what gives the track its own personality. Lets stop worrying about the wall. That is why we have air fence!

Lets work together here (City of Pueblo, Track management and MRA) to make a good solution for everybody.

Bring back Erlene (Ene) She truly cared about us not only about how the track was ran but she cared about our well being (safety) and if the corner crew was taken care of during the weekend.

I'm not bashing anybody here just asking questions...

Thanks,
    RR
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

glenngsxr
    I second both Dave's and Ray's opines. I would have no problem seeing Pueblo go away and just doing PPIR and HPR. Those are two tracks already that are far and away better than most regional tracks anyways so we are spoiled as far as those tracks go. Pueblo had it's day and now the new reality is that the city has a major shortfall in revenue and they will try to nickel and dime everything they can. Until THEY want to make this a collaborative effort, then I would say screw em and walk away. Let's face it, Pueblo is going away unless the city decides to wake up.

All I can say is thank god CAMA built our wonderful HPR. It's ours, the revenue circles back to us, and it is a hell of a track.

While we are at it, why don't we start the fundraising for a second track on the HPR land? We own the western slope on that land as well, correct? If it takes a couple years to raise the funds, then so be it. Thoughts?

Senior Member Expert
    Plus my household for Erlene. She cares about us. Current PMP doesn't . "nuff said. IMHO
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    I would have no issues not racing at pueblo. When I first heard about the vendor crap, i said we should not race there. As far as I know the MRA has signed all the papers to race at Pueblo before the vendor fee changes were made. ( i could be wrong and correct me if i am) When we have to pay money to rent the facility I dont think they should care what we sell in it as long as we have it rented for the wekkend.

I personally do not like Pueblo, I could careless about racing there in the future. I am showing up and racing because of I am doing well in points. If I didnt have the points to chase I would not show up, plain and simple.

This is just my opinion.

and Honestly where ever the MRA goes I will most likely be there and be racing.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    It should be noted that this is the FIRST year under the new management and they are still working out the bugs... they are making efforts to improve the place, but it's still very early in the process and they have limited funding. The reason the track is in such poor condition is because the PREVIOUS management team never kept it up. That's not the current manager's fault...

As far as a positive - The track rental is significantly reduced compared to previous years, and is LESS THAN HALF of what HPR and PPIR charge.

So, if we could get a decent turnout, we'd stand a chance of making a pretty good profit on the weekend! Even as much as an $8K - $10K profit if we had the same turnout as we get at HPR.

It was our home track for several years after SCR closed and before HPR opened... and it has certainly been in worse condition in the past.

Now that the city is actively involved in management, it is understandable that they're charging vendor fees, sales tax, etc... That's NORMAL. They've just never enforced it before. Could they make it a bit easier - sure - but it's a new thing for them too. Try to set up a booth at the state fair and see what the requirements are - they're the same... they're not picking on us.

I'm not at all in favor of Pueblo "going away..." it's always been a great track for us. Of course I'd like to see the surface improve, and once we get thru the bugs of the new rules - I'm sure it will be fine. They can't fix the place without money - and if nobody comes, there can be no money.

Now if the rest of the membership doesn't want to go, then that's a different deal as we can't continue to lose money at the rate we seem to be for this weekend... If we can't at least break-even at Pueblo, then it may not be a viable venue for us in the future...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Funny how in '07 when 2/3 of the races were at PMP, everybody was always psyched to race there instead of having to drive 7 hours to Hastings or race on a glorified oval at La Junta. It is surprising that a little wear and tear at PMP combined with the fresh at HPR has turned so many people against Pueblo. Obviously there are other issues involved, but still interesting to see how many racers are now anti-PMP. I am not one of them, but can't fault anybody who is. I haven't raced there since '07, but it's a fun track to run, blemishes and all.

People just hate us cause we look cooler, go faster, and party harder than them, I dont think we should start a boycott, if its not meant to be it will eventually just happen on its own.....lets just go have some fun!
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Senior Member Expert
    I still want the delightful Ms. E back!!!
    MRA811

Senior Member Expert
    What effen ever....!!!!

Anyone been here long enough to have raced second creek.... Before it was repaved....?

Even after second creek wad repaved it had bumps going into 1 clockwise.

Tracks are about 30 ft wide maybe more, and our tires use about 2 inches of that....you don't have to hit all the bumps.

Wow.... Effen wow.
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    I am not anti PMI but do hope things change there. It is hard for us to go there and support the track with our $$$ when there are no open track days. They have done some noticeable work at the track. New fencing and some paint. What has been done to the track surface from last year doesn't us roadracers at all.

The two main reasons of not going back to Hastings was the distance and the surface. When the surface of a race track becomes bad enough to cause crashes it is time to consider racing there or not. i hope PMI does not get any worse.
    I understand the idea behind charging a fee to vendors. The tracks that do this also usually provide something for this fee. A designated space, power ect.
    Also the tracks that charge vendor fees that I have been to do not charge this fee to a racer trying to sell a set of take offs or a used Pitbull stand. Be ready to pay this fee if you want to sell your set of take offs in the pits.
    Mike

Senior Member Amateur
    For me.... It becomes a fading track trying to charge extra fees, and create extra inconveniences. As a small business owner, and someone who must choose which events to attend, it seems like Pueblo is doomed in the near future. With nearly the same attendance cost, if I am forced to choose a race or two why the hell would I NOT choose HPR? Let alone the fact that I can't practice there for sub $100, when I used to go for $45.00, or the fact that the vendors that have supported me for 6 years now can't participate as they have in the past.

I would like to add that I have raced for 6 years, and PMI has been one of my favorite, best placing and a "staple track" for me.

At the current rate, as a (forced) part season MRA member..... I choose HPR every time. For what its worth, I suspect most in my position will choose the same. I would recommend planning the budget and season accordingly.

JohnGarc

PMP...

Suck it up and bring your A-game people!!! PUEBLO is hella fun and it brings a new element to road racing...

Its hands down one of my favorite tracks and not only because I am a biased Pueblo Native but I also get to see my big Mexican Mafioso friends and family every time I go there.

I agree with Tony B. If we can make money at the Pueblo rounds then I am all for it...

Besides, anyone can win the PGA If the green is flat, wind at zero, and there is no sandpits... Quit Crying!!! :evil:

Senior Member Expert
    I had a great time this weekend, cheering between 9 and 10, seeing all kinds of great racing.
    That said, I still miss the divine Ms. E.
    MRA811

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    I'm a supporter of racing at Pueblo - especially if what TBag says is true about it being tons cheaper.

At this point in our club's evolution, we need to keep all options open. Year to year, we don't know if PPIR will continue to be available. If we kiss off Pueblo, we could become a one track club.

What's wrong with that?

Well, Glenn sold every weekend @ HPR this season. That's good for HPR since it proved there's high demand. But without the option to race other track, we'd have at best a 5 race season.

Erik Peat told me he'd been meeting with some track representatives about motorcycle trackdays at PMP. It sounded like they were kinda clueless about what it takes to run an event or get something started, but maybe that's more of their learning process. Erik, are you able to elaborate?

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95
    Anyone been here long enough to have raced second creek.... Before it was repaved....?
    You would have to bring that up -- I stopped racing @ Second Creek after we life-flighted several guys out of there arguably due to the crummy surface and no runoff in many areas.

While not racing, I worked corners. At one point, the corner captain I was working with went over to the side of the track, grabbed the edge of it, and broke off a 6" piece without even pulling. Ugh ...

Senior Member Expert
    You were there for the last race of 2005 because I remember racing with you. The 3rd lap in, we, you were leading, came upon a lapper, I went inside, you commited to the outside, he stood it up and off the track and down you went. Jim your as hardcore as the rest of us but the only time I remember you not racing is in 06 when you broke your shoulder.
    When did Second Creek close?

Senior Member Expert
    Jim, I remember meeting you at second creek, when I first joined the MRA. You'd wadded up something Italian and relatively inexpensive, and had to get it back on the track, so they could write you a large check. It was about 28" x 50" as I recall.
    MRA811

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    You were there for the last race of 2005 because I remember racing with you. The 3rd lap in, we, you were leading, came upon a lapper, I went inside, you commited to the outside, he stood it up and off the track and down you went.
    That was in the Ratt's nest going counter clockwise I do believe.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert

Peublo Was Great

Did you see the pueblo police or department of revenue at the races this weekend? Heck no. Anyone knows that papers have to be filled out, to put on an event in a city. I did race my bike for the first time there, and loved that challenging track more on a motorcycle than I ever did in a sports car. The facility was clean, track had some noticeable patches & other improvements. A/C in the tower. The event seemed to have a good turnout of racers, (not many fare weather racers that didn't want to be there). I hope the MRA gives PMI a chance to work with us on making things a little beter in the future! I didn't miss the pleasant old Ms. Erlene if that was her name. She let the track fall apart for years, while getting even better at smiling, shaking hands, and kissing butts. I usually hate when cities get involved in ownership/management, but even the broke city has a way better chance of maintaining the venue than a couple of broke private operators. THANKS TO ALL OF THE DEDICATED RACERS WHO REGISTERED AND GAVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO RACE WITH THEM THIS WEEKEND! This is the perspective of an absolutely newb rookie to the MRA that has been racing any car with wheels since 1987. I have seen tons of times where people push away from a track and then cry about not having different tracks and enough race dates. I guess I just love racing.

Senior Member Expert
    I would really love it if you new guys would put something in your post as to who you are, rider # what bike, your name maybe. Something anything, I am getting way to old to figure it all out. :P
    The one the only Bartman also known as #45 or the resident tech nazi. :twisted:

Senior Member Amateur
    This was my first visit to Pueblo. I ended up not racing but had a great time helping as many people as I could. I have a few notes from the sidelines as a first impression.

The staff at the gate and that were running the day on Friday were rude and inconsiderate in my opinion. Definitely didn't seem like they cared if we were there or if we ever came back. Can't say anything about the rest of the weekend as we didn't have any interaction after Friday but the Friday staff seemed to hate being there.

Coming out of the last corner onto the straight I saw that there was airfence to protect against a lowside mid corner. But there was nothing protecting the rider on the drive out. The trajectory of a bike accelerating out of the final corner onto the straight was straight at a wall only a couple of feet off of the track surface and riders were really cooking there. I saw some passes there were riders were dangerously close to the edge of the track going around another rider in close proximity and it could have been a disaster of epic proportions if ANYTHING would have gone wrong.

Other than that, the MRA staff and racers were phenominal as always and we had a great time racing at another new track.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    You were there for the last race of 2005 because I remember racing with you. The 3rd lap in, we, you were leading, came upon a lapper, I went inside, you commited to the outside, he stood it up and off the track and down you went. Jim your as hardcore as the rest of us but the only time I remember you not racing is in 06 when you broke your shoulder.
    Oh yeah - I remember that crash very well. :? My brother was flying out that afternoon to watch me race and instead got to watch me stress out in the pits trying to fix my bike to make RoR.

Quote Originally Posted by froth
    I remember meeting you at second creek, when I first joined the MRA. You'd wadded up something Italian and relatively inexpensive, and had to get it back on the track, so they could write you a large check. It was about 28" x 50" as I recall.
    Yep. Actually once I took the green light for that race, I had the check in the bag - so the crash wasn't a factor - although I think a lot of people thought it was
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    That was in the Ratt's nest going counter clockwise I do believe.
    You are quite correct, sir.

Jon, I think you had a similar backmarker encounter at Mt View in turn 6 a few years earlier, no?

Actually, I only stopped racing at 2nd Creek until they repaved. I think it was during the 1997 season when they'd kept collecting our "paving fee" but took their sweet time about repaving.

Then remember they finally repaved and it was slick as snot? (I think Ricky and Otis tried it out) So they had to come back in and repave it all over again!?! After that it wasn't bad until they closed the track.

When did Second Creek close?
    I think the day I got punted was the last race we had - Oct 1, 2005.

You guys are bringing back some cool memories. :-)

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by LMsports
    This was my first visit to Pueblo. I ended up not racing but had a great time helping as many people as I could. I have a few notes from the sidelines as a first impression.

The staff at the gate and that were running the day on Friday were rude and inconsiderate in my opinion. Definitely didn't seem like they cared if we were there or if we ever came back. Can't say anything about the rest of the weekend as we didn't have any interaction after Friday but the Friday staff seemed to hate being there.

Coming out of the last corner onto the straight I saw that there was airfence to protect against a lowside mid corner. But there was nothing protecting the rider on the drive out. The trajectory of a bike accelerating out of the final corner onto the straight was straight at a wall only a couple of feet off of the track surface and riders were really cooking there. I saw some passes there were riders were dangerously close to the edge of the track going around another rider in close proximity and it could have been a disaster of epic proportions if ANYTHING would have gone wrong.

Other than that, the MRA staff and racers were phenominal as always and we had a great time racing at another new track.
    i believe the friday crew was run by FAASST and not the mra.
    not sure what the deal is with their crew. maybe it was just a bad day for them. the previous track day run by FAASST at pueblo went well and the crew seemed pleasant.

by the way you have a PM rob about the rear rim =)
    '13 BMW S1000RR
    '06 GSXR 750 #686. Sold

Senior Member Expert
    Correct the MRA had no part in the friday antics, we are talking to the powers that be about making the next time run smoother.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast