Thread: Canopies

Senior Member Amateur

Canopies

I have a feeling this will not have the controversy that taxes at PMP does, but for those of you that use canopies, what do you use to secure them so they don't blow away and keep them in place?

thanks!

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Anything that has weight to it.

Gas Cans
    Generator if you have a quiet one
    Coolers

Typically I stake 2 of the legs into the dirt part.

Senior Member Amateur
    I've used old shifter/go kart tires filled w/quick-crete, with an eyelet or hook so you can attach a strap. They're small, and are plenty heavy. or some guys use 5-gal bucket w/water... Your imagination is the limit, last race weekend I was using my Honda 2000 watt geni's to hold my canopy down :lol:
    Luke, Semi-Expert #199
    2010 Ducati 848, 2005 GSXR1000
    STM Suspension, Sol Performance

Senior Member Amateur
    Last windy rainy shitfest at HPR I used tiedowns and attached the thing to my truck. It worked good.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Expert
    No amount of weight will ensure that your tent will not become a kite. I was at a MX national race in Phenix and saw the suzuki semi tent with a massive tool box on one end and a 4x4 quad at the other go airborne, it tossed the quad on top of the semi.
    Long story short be ready at all times to take down the canopy and leave it as far down as possible. Don't be one of those idiots that just leaves up tent when it starts blowing and at Pueblo it always does and for shit sake don't tie your bike to it. :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    amen to that. I use the generator, loading ramps, tool box, car battery, and tied down two legs to the truck at PPIR, the wind snapped the frame of my trusty ole pos, and drug the battery, toolbox and ramps all over to hell n back.

I lost one years ago out on lake Winnamucca in NV.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Don't use you spare wheels/tires to "tie it down". They're not heavy enough.

I hold the canopy down with concrete blocks. I use concrete blocks that have bent rebar as handles. I pour concrete into the holes of the concrete blocks to fix the rebar to the concrete blocks. Tie downs to hold down the canopy to the concrete blocks. I attach one side of the canopy to the trailer.

I find the sides of the canopy can collapse from the wind load and have build an internal structure to brace the sides of the canopy. It's not perfect, but pretty good.

It torques me off to no end when the wind rips apart my stuff. Yet, it's my personal war. 8)
    Rod Mattison -- '05 SV650, MRA # 26
    STM Suspension, Pirelli Tires, Vortex Racing, EarthX Batteries.

Junior Member Novice
    Fill a few 5 gallon buckets with wet concrete, and stick a big eye bolt into the center of the top, and rig it to not sink while the concrete sets up. Don't trust the bucket handle for your attachment, use the eye bolt. Make enough to tie down every corner that can't be tied to a truck or heavy trailer. Heavy to haul around, but will hold against more wind than most canopies can withstand, so exercise some judgment about leaving your canopy up in high winds.

Senior Member Amateur
    I keep mine folded, in the bag and tied down in the trailer. Seems like the time I need it, mid-afternoon, the winds come hauling in with the black clouds.

Not sure why I haul it to each race if I don't use it. I guess it's part of the dumbassery that goes with racing in the first place.

But...to answer your question...Gas cans on 2 of the legs, toolbox on the 3rd, and the 4th tied to my trailer. If all Hell breaks loose, at least then it's just my crap that gets thrashed. If the wind is strong enough to haul my truck and trailer, save yourselves!
    Tom
    MRA #416