Thread: Oil

Senior Member Amateur

Oil

Just curious as I am starting out, have a lot to learn and want to get some opinions.

What kind of oil do you use?
    Why?
    How often do you change it?

thanks!

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Motorex POWER SYNT 4T 10W/50

I use it because it has always worked well and they also are really good at sponsoring small time racers. Their customer service is great and shipping is very quick. They also offer any other fluids your bike might need.

I change my oil every other race weekend...

http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=56
    Casey D

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Silkolene also makes very good oil - and they are a contingency sponsor for the club... Do well, and they give you free stuff!

I ride a 2 stroke, so obviously I premix every time - and then change the transmission gear oil once a season.

don't forget to change your fork and shock oil from time to time too...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Amsoil is great as well. Awesome quality and they offer sponsorship too.

Check out hookit.com to apply.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Amateur
    +1 on Amsoil...I have a cool old timer that is a dealer down the street from me, so its convenient...

Also changed every other race weekend...
    Dave

Senior Member Expert
    Repsol 4T Racing 10W/50 cuz Dani Pedrosa is cute as a button!!!

No the real reason we use it is it came highly recommended by our motor builder, who said motors wear better running Repsol. Since our motors looked great at the last rebuild, with a lot of time on them, we're sticking with what's working.

Very frequent oil changes
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    silkolene PRO 4 PLUS
    i cracked my crank at the end of last year, didnt start rippin it apart until december, still had oil coating everything. very good stuff.
    i change it every other race weekend, or 1race weekend and a track day

Senior Member Expert
    THE CHEAPEST SH$T you can find. Change it every other race weekend. All is good. I dont buy into the whole expensive oil good oil cheap oil differences BS. Change it often and it will be fine......IMHO :wink:
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Amateur
    Mobil one 15w50 and every 4 days of riding.
    Mobil one Filter or K&N
    ILLMATIC Racing
    MRA#503

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by polar x
    THE CHEAPEST SH$T you can find. Change it every other race weekend. All is good. I dont buy into the whole expensive oil good oil cheap oil differences BS. Change it often and it will be fine......IMHO :wink:
    I did this with Shell Rotella T oil from Walmart for a year, no issues at all as long as it was changed every weekend. Always used Suzuki oil filters though, always :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Filters are an often-overlooked item too. People spend megabucks on the best oil they can find, and go drop a $6 FRAM on there. OEM filters are actually good stuff, so are WIX, Hi-Flo, and some others. If you can't get the crap out of your oil (and racing WILL put crap in your oil), all you're doing is pumping it around and wearing parts out faster. An extra few bucks on a good filter could save you hundreds (or more) on a motor rebuild.

That said I do use full synthetic in everything I own and am a believer in good quality oil, but with good filtration and keeping it fresh you can run a lot of stuff just fine.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    Quote Originally Posted by polar x
    I did this with Shell Rotella T oil from Walmart for a year, no issues at all as long as it was changed every weekend. Always used Suzuki oil filters though, always :wink:
    FINALLY someone else who can see the light!!!!!!!!! lol thanks Clarkie. And I do change the filters with each oil change. :wink:
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    LOL I went back to Motorex cause they hooked me up, but never had any engine issues at all the Rotella T. Although I was always kinder to my engines that some are :wink:

Member Novice
    I've been using the new Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic (blue bottle) from Walmart. It is now officially JASO-MA certified (for wet clutches). Works great so far and only $19.50/gallon. I change before each race weekend so basically after a raceweekend + plus 1-2 trackdays.

Senior Member Amateur
    Another for Rotella T, make sure you get the blue bottle, full synthetic now labeled T6. Use it in my street and race bikes.

There is a really good read on oil here: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Never never never forget the filter, and make sure you use OEM or better quality. I have also heard horror stories about the reusable metal mesh filters so I have stayed away, YMMV.
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Amateur
    Speaking of filters, any comments on the cleanable wire mesh ones? There was a vendor at the HPR gala last year; not sure if they have made it to any of our races. I believe it was these guys: http://www.kandpengineering.com/index.shtml

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by chrobis
    Speaking of filters, any comments on the cleanable wire mesh ones? There was a vendor at the HPR gala last year; not sure if they have made it to any of our races. I believe it was these guys: http://www.kandpengineering.com/index.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico
    Never never never forget the filter, and make sure you use OEM or better quality. I have also heard horror stories about the reusable metal mesh filters so I have stayed away, YMMV.
    :P

Lurch chucked a motor some years back after putting one of those on and determining the magnet broke into pieces and was potentially pumped up through. Not provable, but possible.

I just know that the good disposable kinds will cost a little more in the long run, but the particles I want to filter are not visible to the eye (and hence would pass through mesh anyway) so I dunno what the benefit really is. If you have so many large particles flowing that you can see them collect on mesh every time you change the oil, you are about to break some shit anyway.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    I just switched to the silkolene 4 as well. But with the price of it, even with an MRA license discount (Vickery), Im heavily considering going with the aftorementioned Rotella. I change the oil filter as well, use a geniune oem filter (kawi) I change it after 3 days, either track days, practice or race. So basiclly after each race weekend including the practice day.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC