View Poll Results: Should a class track record be reset if the bike that set it is no longer eligible for the class?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Regardless of the rule change it was once eligible therefore the record should stand.

17 65.38%
  • Yes. Going forward the record should be reset by any bike currently legal for the class.

8 30.77%
  • Yes. It should be eliminated and the record should be reset looking back through all of the races to find the next fastest lap.

1 3.85%

Thread: Update to Class Track Records

Senior Member Expert

Update to Class Track Records

Hey Everyone!

The rules change every year with what bikes are legal in which classes and this year is no different from any other. What is different is how to handle it when a bike that is no longer eligible for a class holds a class track record. What I'd like to find out is how everyone would like to handle this situation. Please answer the poll whether you think it affects you or not as it will set a precedent for future conflicts. It's not really a big deal, but it's worth having it the way the members want it. So VOTE!!!

I also wanted to congratulate a couple people for setting new class track records during round #1 at High Plains Raceway.

Open Endurance = #19 Rob Christman with a 1:49.611 steals the record away from Dan Turner by little more than two tenths of a second.

Modern Vintage GTU = #395 Aaron Hersh at 1:58.195 wrestles the record away from Shannon Moham by almost four tenths of a second.

I'll update the official website after I have a clear idea from the poll if there is a third new record for this past race weekend.

Thanks,

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    and what about tracks with new configurations? PPIR will be run differently than we've done in the past...

I do think that the record should "change over" to the fastest bike currently legal for the class. Years from now it will be irrelevant that ST has the record (by about 4 seconds) on a Bimota in LWGP that is currently spec'd for SV650's...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Yes, a new set of records will certainly be generated to reflect the course changes at Pikes Peak.

The LWGP class had a couple of bikes removed from eligibility during the off season. The Ducati DS1000 engine based bikes and the 250cc two strokes. So there isn't any question as to who will hold the updated record. However, a vote for either of the first two options in the poll will always generate a caveat when talking about it. The first is to say, "but that bike isn't legal for the class anymore" and the second is, "yeah, but he went faster the year before."

I'm sure the nearly six seconds we might be adding back onto this class track record will improve with time, but ST's Pueblo absolute record has now stood since 2004. The other note about the LWGP class is that it is still ripe for cherry picking to those with a little mechanical creativity at a fraction of the cost of a race ready Bimota. It is entirely possible to see the same situation rise again as soon as someone puts the money to the pavement to develop a bike that weighs no more than an SV, but produces twice the horsepower. :twisted:

I'll never likely have a dog in this fight and I've already done the leg work to generate a new record regardless of the outcome of the poll. So it ain't no sweat either way.

Member Amateur
    Go ahead and pick on the guy with broken legs!!! :lol: :lol:
    Boulder Motorsports
    Tri-City Cycles
    Michelin Tires (Vanmar Racing)
    Kyle Racing
    TCX Boots
    EBC Brakes
    Bell Helmets
    Spy Optics

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado
    Shane, how are you healing up? What % would you say your at? Absolutely epic and inspiration riding at HPR... See ya @ PPIR
    Luke, Semi-Expert #199
    2010 Ducati 848, 2005 GSXR1000
    STM Suspension, Sol Performance

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    shit ST, so long as you're in a wheelchair (and NOT on a bike) I have a chance in hell of getting away with it - so I'm gonna take advantage of it while I can!

Heal up my brutha!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Picking on you? :roll: Sheesh! Every time I type an "S" into any cell of the spreadsheet that has all of the records it auto completes "hane Turpin"! It's really irritating when I have to type out Shannon's full name. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Member Amateur
    LOL!!!!! Things are good, my bone graphs went well. I think I will be much better for PPIR. I'm still not walking yet but still happy to be riding a bike. I don't know what % I'm at physically but mentally I am at 100%. I can't wait to see everyone at Pikes. Thanks again for all the support and help this year. I LOVE THE MRA!!!!!
    Boulder Motorsports
    Tri-City Cycles
    Kyle Racing
    TCX Boots
    EBC Brakes
    Bell Helmets
    Spy Optics

Senior Member Expert
    Now Shane I know for a fact you are not 100% mentally there, you have always been missing the fear portion of the brain. :lol:

Member Amateur
    Come on Bart!!! I'm scared everytime I get on the bike. You know I don't like to get my bikes dirty :lol: :lol:
    Boulder Motorsports
    Tri-City Cycles
    Kyle Racing
    TCX Boots
    EBC Brakes
    Bell Helmets
    Spy Optics