Thread: Advice for improving starts

Senior Member Amateur

Advice for improving starts

So after my first race last weekend my wife kindly reminded me of how bad of a starter I am. She was right, my first lap time confirmed it, the guys that I lapped with on track days at around the same pace were 4-6 seconds quicker on the first lap, and I always lose spots from the grid to turn one which become very hard to make up.

That being said, how did everyone become good at launching? Do the Bandimere days? Any tips from those much faster than me that might help?
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Member Amateur
    In light of the fact that the pit lane is truly hot this year, and fenced off to boot, I have made it a point to do a practice start every time I get off the track this season. Every single time. During practice, I'll even pull off into pit lane, do a practice start, and keep lapping.

This might kill my clutch pretty soon, but I have already noticed a significant difference. At this point it's almost effortless to keep the front wheel skimming gently on the tarmac nearly every time I launch. I intend to keep doing this for the foreseeable future -- there is always something I can improve.

I had planned to do Bandimere days this season to practice starts, but given that I get about 20 practice starts per race weekend and track day at HPR using this approach, I think I might skip it.

The important thing is to do this every time, and to do it for real. Track down a buddy on the cooldown lap (or during practice) and make a race out of it once in a while. To really improve, put a beer on it and don't start until you see him move.
    MRA #158
    TSM Racing

Thanks to Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Amsoil, and GoPro for their generous support!

On those rare days when I'm actually quick, an additional thanks to Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuels, and Ferodo Brakes for throwing me the occasional bone!

And thanks to Western Orthopedics for bolting me back together!

Member Amateur
    Simply put, it takes repetition of practice. Not only at the track, but when I ride on the street I occasionally find a place to practice.

I noticed this weekend at the races the light can be obstructed from view when preparing to launch for those of us in the back. So be prepared to change up your body positioning a bit to accomodate this.
    #724 MRA

Senior Member Amateur
    The only thing I seem to do well is start. Two things: practice to get used to the friction point on the clutch and once the light is off, pin the throttle wide open and modulate with the clutch. Keep the RPMs high on a 4-cyl.

From there, I recommend not doing what I do, which is getting passed by 10 people from T1-3.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Senior Member Expert
    The 675 has more torque then 6hunski so you will want to launch at a lower rpm, prolly around 6-8 and then work on you body position. Some like to be way over the front some don't, go to bandimere and try different things and see what effect they have on your 60 ft times. Don't look at anything else just the 60, its the only thing that matters to us. Once you find what works practice it over and over, don't do practice starts at the track more then once or twice. Better to have a bad start then find you clutch is gone midday on sunday and not race at all.
    Turn one you just need to screw on some balls and go in hot, don't be a bowling ball but go in hot. Next when you are sitting on the line waiting plan on where you are going to go and don't wait for the guy ahead to go before you do, if you watch the back grid of a novice race you will see what I mean. It is possible to holeshot from row 7 at pueblo in novice, I've done it twice in a row back in the day. Learn to look around the next guy and you will go around him, its the same as looking through the corner.
    Bartman

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    The 675 has more torque then 6hunski so you will want to launch at a lower rpm, prolly around 6-8
    I launch my 675 at about 10k. I heard that Brad Hendry in 08 was launching his a 14k, although he was also putting in a new clutch every weekend...
    carl
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Expert
    have Austin give you lessons...that fawker wins hole shot award for the last two years in my book.... no one can touch him!
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Austin will holeshot you from Kansas, def hit him up for pointers. And somehow he scammed a sweet new 2digit number! expert #15
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    dont ask me how to start ops:

i suck

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by sheispoison
    The 675 has more torque then 6hunski so you will want to launch at a lower rpm, prolly around 6-8
    I launch my 675 at about 10k. I heard that Brad Hendry in 08 was launching his a 14k, although he was also putting in a new clutch every weekend...
    carl
    Josh Graham used to launch just off of idle on his R6 and his R1, let me see if I can explain this. There is no one way to launch a bike, thats why I say go to bandimere and get the #s and not to just go off of what feels good. It matters less what RPM you launch at then what you do with the clutch and the throttle once you start moving, watch your typical novice you will hear him rev let out the clutch and buwaaaah, the RPM was 10000 then when the clutch comes out down to 4000 we go and thats it. Now if you start with a lower RPM and then learn to slip the clutch almost all way through first gear while applying more throttle you will launch with much more consistency. Most bikes have less chatter at lower RPM during the feather point of engagement but not all thats why you need to experiment, hell when I am launching well even the rear brake comes into play. Generally the more torque you have the lower the RPM should be. Just like riding styles there is no one way.

Member Amateur
    I am going to say this to myself 20 times a day until PPIR:

Turn one you just need to screw on some balls and go in hot, don't be a bowling ball but go in hot.

Thanks Bart!
    peter emsley#203

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by peteremsley
    I am going to say this to myself 20 times a day until PPIR:

Turn one you just need to screw on some balls and go in hot, don't be a bowling ball but go in hot.

Thanks Bart!
    Put special emphasis on the bowling ball part.

Senior Member Expert
    Josh Graham used to launch just off of idle on his R6 and his R1, let me see if I can explain this. There is no one way to launch a bike, thats why I say go to bandimere and get the #s and not to just go off of what feels good. It matters less what RPM you launch at then what you do with the clutch and the throttle once you start moving, watch your typical novice you will hear him rev let out the clutch and buwaaaah, the RPM was 10000 then when the clutch comes out down to 4000 we go and thats it. Now if you start with a lower RPM and then learn to slip the clutch almost all way through first gear while applying more throttle you will launch with much more consistency. Most bikes have less chatter at lower RPM during the feather point of engagement but not all thats why you need to experiment, hell when I am launching well even the rear brake comes into play. Generally the more torque you have the lower the RPM should be. Just like riding styles there is no one way.
    I always did the same thing, at the most on my GSXR1000 I had it at 4,000rpm. LOL with a 208hp bike you dont want it looping! I use to start my Aprilia the same way but at around 2,500rpm, just a basic street bike start from the traffic lights. Hydraulic clutches seem to grab a little more than cable clutches so it helps there as well.

I told Dougie Kahl to try the same thing as he had never done starts on his new bike before the HPR weekend, he got awesome starts!

Like Bart said, there is no right or wrong way, you dont want to know how high I used to rev my 250GP bike or my Aprilia Cup bike

Senior Member Amateur
    Great stuff from all, especially the bowling ball one Bart, it is easy to relate to something I resemble...I know I could go into turn one harder, guess I am a bit too gentlemanly, need to work on both the launch and the first corner for sure.
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    I though you looked more like the pin then the ball but oh well. Remember round is a shape, pear is a shape not a good shape but a shape none the less. :twisted:

Senior Member Amateur
    Just redline it and drop the clutch. Worked WONDERS for me!

lol
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6
    Just redline it and drop the clutch. Worked WONDERS for me!

lol
    LMAO :lol:
    Casey D