Thread: Clear Coat????

Member Amateur

Clear Coat????

Need so help/advise! I paint rattle canned my fairing to include my tank and when I was filling up the gas tank I spilled a little on the tank and it started to smear the paint. Is there a special clear coat I should use? I sprayed on 3 layers of Rust-Oleum clear coat.
    MRA# 286
    Sponsors: ABATE of Colorado, GoPro, Vortex Racing, Thursdayshirts.com, Sol Performance Dunlop

Senior Member Amateur
    I'll do you one better...I did my WHOLE bike with rattle cans. I had no idea it'd be so soft. If I look at it wrong, paint chips off. I did 3 clear coats. Helps my thighs grip the tank, though!

I'd like to apologize in advance for anyone behind me on the straight when my paint starts to blow off the front of the bike and stick to your face shield.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phildrummond
    ...I'd like to apologize in advance for anyone behind me on the straight when my paint starts to blow off the front of the bike and stick to your face shield.
    So fast it blew the paint right off the bike!

Not likely... ops: :lol: :lol:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm not implying my riding skills are of any significance, just that my painting skills are worse!
    Tom
    MRA #416

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    :lol:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Member Novice
    Personal I would head down to painters supply off of Santa Fe and Hampton, and pick up some PPG clear coat. Its a 2 part mix and has to be sprayed form a paint gun.

Give me a call I can clear coat if for just the cost of material.

(970)376-4822

Cooper Lee

Senior Member Amateur
    If you spray the PPG clear coat over the rattle can mess you have going, the reducer in the PPG will most likely lift or react with the rattle can mess. Id sand it down, get a spray gun from depot or a hawkshop, spray primer and paint for flexible surfaces, then clear coat with the PPG flexible surfaces stuff, its made for bumpers and crap that flexes. I airbrush helmets and plastic, tanks...or used to rather. and went through alot of trial and error with base paints and clear coats. I finally just ended up bringing my stuff into a buddies shop for clear coating when he was doing a clear coat.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Member Novice
    Thats kinda what I was thinking yesterday after I wrote that. The reducer in the clear coat would pretty much just strip the rattle can paint. I would just take it down and get it painted by someone or be really careful get and get a funnel for filling gas.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by clee32
    Personal I would head down to painters supply off of Santa Fe and Hampton, and pick up some PPG clear coat. Its a 2 part mix and has to be sprayed form a paint gun.

Give me a call I can clear coat if for just the cost of material.

(970)376-4822

Cooper Lee
    If I start airbrushing lids again, can I bring em to you. The airbrush paint is water based, I cant run oils through the pen, it will pit the needle and ruin the seals. (Iwata hpc with sugical tip needles) and I have never been able to spray a decent clear coat myself.
    MRA#420
    01 R6

Macro Mellon Recording Studios
    Rockymtnphots.com
    DBA Construction LLC

Member Amateur
    Thanks all...I guess I will just need to be carefull. Next time I will get a professional to do the painting or just simply get a vinyl wrap.
    MRA# 286
    Sponsors: ABATE of Colorado, GoPro, Vortex Racing, Thursdayshirts.com, Sol Performance Dunlop

Member Novice
    I also rattle canned my whole bike, and it turned out pretty good. Sherwin Williams hooked me up with automotive paint in a can, and a two part hardening clear coat in a can for about $45 total. I will paint my bike this way next time I crash too.

Member Novice

Senior Member Amateur
    For future reference. This guy did a superb write up on how to do it yourself.

http://www.saliv8.com/beta/dcsb/paint-how-to/paint.pdf
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Member Amateur

50-50 ?

Hey ...! From 50 feet away and 50 mph your 'rattle can' paint job will look fantastic ! Really !
    shane at 303-459-0413