Thread: 2010 MRA Contingency Analysis

Senior Member Expert Vanmar Racing's Avatar

2010 MRA Contingency Analysis

Here is the 2010 MRA Contingency Comparison.

It is three pages with the totals on the bottom of page 3

http://uglydogracing.com/images/2010...Comparison.pdf
    Tammy at Vanmar Racing
    303-944-0334
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    Mark Schellinger, Instructor for Yamaha Champions Riding School- Ride Like A Champion!
    Vanmar Racing

President Expert
    Looks better when you do it this way-

<iframe src="http://uglydogracing.com/images/2010_Contingency_Comparison.pdf" width="900" height="1100" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    Anyone else find it ironic Dunlop is the sole tire of the "premier" racing org in America, and yet they don't pay jack back to their racers... not to mention AMA guys paying $450+ per set, when they're the only tire option. Pretty lame if you ask me, glad I'm running Michelin's
    Luke, Semi-Expert #199
    2010 Ducati 848, 2005 GSXR1000
    STM Suspension, Sol Performance

Senior Member Expert
    not to mention dunlop doesnt even offer 180/55s?

Senior Member Expert
    who is doing Pirelli this year?
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Lithium Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    Unfortunately, for contingency it's a double bladed sword. There has to be a market in the area for a company to invest into contingency. If there are no racers buying certain brand then they will put that money into a different region.

Case and point, I just got back from a different track with a different series where there was no contingency for a particular brand because nobody was using their products. Now, if some attention was focused on that then things would change but the racers/Dealers need to make that happen. Most of the time big companies will not invest to start interest in an area when they can just spend less to grow an area they already have.

However, if your local Reps/Dealers can communicate to the corporate offices and provide trusting service to the racers, then things can change very easily.

As for the AMA prices.. that would be a opinion dependent upon your point of view. Let's focus on the club racer/privateer perspective. The chances of them receiving as much support from Dunlop would most likely not be as much as a factory team. (Both in freebies or price reduction) So now the privateer paying as much as the factory team for the very same tire they are racing on. The factory team can't give an extra hundred or two for the qualifying tire that will get you ahead of the privateer on the grid either. Now the price is something that is a direct reflectance on overhead and demand. It takes a lot of cash to make and truck 5 semi loads of tires to a race weekend. That helps cover the cost. Trust me when I say that Dunlop Motorsports doesn't make much off the national events. Not enough to hire this guy full time to drive a Semi and to be a trackside Engineer. Instead, they rent drivers and stretch the employees they do have to do more on the same pay.

Besides, aren't you glad you only have to pay $360 here instead of the $450 there?? A price that is the same for everyone here as well. That way you don't have to worry about a bad LAST year costing you in hundreds of dollars THIS year.

All and all, it comes down to if there is demand for a product then things will change for more support to come into play.

I would love to explain the major advantages/disadvantages of a 180 vs. 190/200 tire but this post is too long already. If you like to swing by the Dunlop pit I would be glad to explain and show you what they are.

Thanks for the time!

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol Performance
    If you like to swing by the Dunlop pit I would be glad to explain and show you what they are.
    Oscar - thanks for the great response and let me say thanks in advance for taking up the Dunlop flag in the pits. I'm looking forward to working with you this year.

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks Oscar and Dunlop for again being present in MRA racing.
    Competition is good for the sport and it's good your back. I suggest everyone who may not yet be committed to one brand or another try a sticky set of the NTEC's. They are truly amazing tires and with support that Oscar can provide they will be a hard act to follow in 2010. In other words, I'm doubting that Michelin will be touting 19 class championships this year. Good luck to you all and look forward to seeing you all no matter what tires your on, on the grid.