Thread: Bad start to a return to racing

Junior Member Novice

Bad start to a return to racing

First of all, sorry for using up valuable track time today.
    Secondly, I want to thank everyone who helped today after my crash, MRA members, paramedics, corner workers, everybody.
    Now for the bad news, type 3 shoulder separation, possible surgery, fractured left wrist, possible surgery. Ducati, definate surgery.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again,
    Johnny I

Senior Member Expert
    wow sorry to hear buddy : ( heal up soon and keep us updated

Senior Member Expert
    John you were looking good out there too - get well soon !!

Senior Member Expert
    Any idea what went wrong?

Heal up soon man!!!
    Casey D

Junior Member Novice
    thanks casey. yea, i was having trouble with the nemesis quick shifter friday and yesterday morning. i was trying different adjustments and when i thought i had it working fine, i was entering turn 6 shifted down a gear and found a false neutral.
    johnny i

Member Amateur
    We saw you in the dirt as we were just getting to the track. Heal up quick.
    MRA #100
    http://viets-performance.com/
    Big Dog Wraps
    Pirelli / Ohlins / ChickenHawk / XT Racing

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by john iacobucci
    thanks casey. yea, i was having trouble with the nemesis quick shifter friday and yesterday morning. i was trying different adjustments and when i thought i had it working fine, i was entering turn 6 shifted down a gear and found a false neutral.
    johnny i
    Were you shifting into first? Normally, the quick shifter should have nothing to do with downshifts as it only engages one way (push or pull).

What happened after the false neutral? Run off the track or did it lock up after engaging and send you flying?
    Casey D

Junior Member Novice
    not exactly sure, i was out for a while. don't remember anything
    after engaging neutral.

Senior Member Expert
    John, just as an FYI I've run into a false neutral on that same stretch on my 749R. I'm not runnning a Nemesis. But coming outta turn 5 I upshift for a short bit, followed by a quick downshift before turn 6. In the particular case I recall, it went into a false neutral on the upshift, so I was able to work it out before getting to 6.

Not sure it helps, but any info might help you make sense of it all.

Senior Member Expert
    Sorry to hear about your fall, you were running good, we watched you on Sunday. Heal up soon!
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Heal up quick...and hope to see you out there again soon.

Quick note on the shoulder separation.... I'd do a lot of personal research before considering it. I had a class IV(second time separation) the day before thanksgiving last year and was turned away from surgery by numerous orthopedics. Did a bunch of reading about the ligament repair.... and many people with similar lever of separation had shared their rehab with and without surgery. Many wished they had not gone through surgery. I can say after about six weeks I was able to function normally without notice of pain in everyday activities, including work. after five months I'm within 20 lbs of my previous dumbell bench weight and only get slight pains after.

Saying that it did hurt like a bitch in the evenings after this past weekend.... first time on a bike since it happened so I'm guessing it was a freedom of memory pain...kinda like my ankles and pelvis...both broken and the pelvis fractured... and could def feel it after this weekend

As for the wrists I have shattered both a couple times now and I wish I would have gone through surgery.... noticeable throughout the day and kill on the track. I still can not do barbell bench due to the pain...even with soft casts, orthodics, or a ton of tylenol.

I'm sure there are a bunch of others on here who can chime in with different opinions.... just my .02

Heal up quick...and stretching the tendons with light weight really is the key in my mind to quick recovery....

Just don't break or separate it again.... it just gets weaker and never goes back together right the second go around
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Junior Member Novice
    John, I haven't met you but your not alone in the Sunday crash catagory. Went down turn 7, lost front, broke my left fibula and sprained my right knee (I'm hoping that's it, Dr on Thurs). Heal up fast and we can gimp around the pits for now.

Member Novice
    had full bankart repair (reconstruction) of left shoulder 7 years ago due to repeated dislocations....still wishing i didn't do surgery- rather live with some instability and full range of motion.

rubber bands man, rubber bands. stretching and a broom stick to assist in "putting" your arm where you want it to be after being stablized (atrophied) for some time....
    S. Tally Lawing, MRA #314
    President- Ducati Motor Club
    2010 Class Sponsor- Modern Vintage GTO

Aprilia RS153
    Ducati Monza 160
    Ducati Paul Smart
    Honda NSF120R

Senior Member Amateur
    I had over 9 tears in my labrum on my left shoulder. Had surgically repaired about 3 years ago. Glad I did because it dislocated just from me putting my hand behind my head. I have a referral for you if you are ever in Cali. But also I will have to do some research, but back in my motocross days there was a doc that worked on guys shoulders and had them back on the bike in a couple of weeks versus 6 months it took me to do anything. Look for him on Thumper Talk .com He is on there somewhere, heard lots of great things.

Senior Member Amateur ZiaThunder's Avatar
    I had a full bankart repair along with a few other things, two years ago. I was back on the bike after 5 weeks, and I've gotten about 90% or more of my range of motion back.

I'm glad I had it done.
    Sponsored by:
    PJ's Motorcycles, Amsoil, Woodcraft, Race Tech, Speedin' Motorsports, Soumy, MotionPro, & SIDI boots
    # 930
    www.diomederacing.com