Thread: Tire Wear Question

Junior Member Novice

Tire Wear Question

Wondered if anyone could help me out ....
    I've got a set of tires on a bike I bought used that still have plenty of room on the wear markers - but I'm not sure how they've been heat cycled. I believe they were run a few times with warmers, and I've put a track day on them without warmers (although I now have warmers).

How do I know if the tire has been cycled too many times and won't stick when I need it to? I don't want to pull the tires off if they are good for the race class coming up, but I don't want to end up wiping out because I tried to save a couple bucks either. Any good way to tell if a tire is still sticky?

Thanks!

Senior Member Amateur
    Mark Schellinger will prob go over all this in the Friday night class but he will tell you that with modern day tires you don't really need to worry about this... You will kill the tires well before you put them through too many heat cycles. Sorry, that's about all I know.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyt328
    Mark Schellinger will prob go over all this in the Friday night class but he will tell you that with modern day tires you don't really need to worry about this... You will kill the tires well before you put them through too many heat cycles. Sorry, that's about all I know.
    +1 Mark said during the race school last year that heat cycle is usually not a concern anymore. On the flip side of that I would hate to say, yea use em, then you wad yourself up into a little ball.....

Senior Member Expert
    I don't think anyone could tell you if the tires will be ok without being able to see them in person.

Its really going to depend on the rider more then anything. Can you tell what a set of tires feel like when they start to fall off? Are you going to be pushing it near 100% or just "feeling out" the bike? I know, personally, I can ride very shagged tires. I just have to adapt my riding to match the rubber I'm on. Brand new tires can be pushed very hard in race pace. As they get older, they will slide around more. If you are comfortable with the bike and know how it feels, you should be fine. I have ridden tires until the indicators completely disappear. I've also crashed on freshies.

Another thing to consider aside from heat cycles would be how old the tires actually are. They could have one sprint race on them, but if that sprint race was from 2006 its going go be a huge difference then one sprint race from last season.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos13
    I can ride very shagged tires. I just have to adapt my riding to match the rubber I'm on. Brand new tires can be pushed very hard in race pace. As they get older, they will slide around more. If you are comfortable with the bike and know how it feels, you should be fine. I have ridden tires until the indicators completely disappear. I've also crashed on freshies.

Casey took the words right out of my mouth.

You can check how hard a tire is, in comparison to other tires, with a tool that Mark has in his trailer that penetrates the tire. But that doesn't really tell you how it is going to "feel" underneath you.

I can tell you one thing.....
    If you are riding around the track worried about how safe your tires are... you won't be thinking about the task at hand, which is riding your motorcycle, and paying attention to what is in front of you. If you are that worried about them... get a another set.
    Aside from your tires... you don't want to crash because your head was somewhere else....
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Invest in a durometer... its a good tool for figuring the life left in a tire carcass...Good ones get kind of pricey but in my opinion are well worth it....

Not to proud of it but I was running pirelli slick take offs from 07 and 06 last year in my classes.... I have actually never owned a new set of tires(EVER) thanks to ST takeoffs towards the end of the season

Brownie and Casey are 100% correct..its piece of mind as well as your riding pace.

I'm just a cheap ass and still can't afford new tires every weekend..... Hell I ran a set of power ones way down past the wear bars.....almost nothing left on the outside... also the fastest lap times I ever had at HPR :evil: Just goes to show how michelin holds up!

I am not a person to listen to...just a noob....just sharing my experience...
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    i would ride the piss out of them, till they start sliding alot. then replace them :lol: