Thread: Back to back races...

Senior Member Expert

Back to back races...

A few Q's for folks who run back to back races on different bikes:

1. How much time is there between races (I've never paid attention) - assuming I'm not pitted in the back 40 - is there time to ride to my pit and jump off one bike and onto the next or do I need to have the 2nd bike ready in hot pit?

2. How do you deal w/the transponder? Any quick change tips? Are 2 transponders mandatory?

3. Any other suggestions of things I need to think of and prepare for?

Senior Member Amateur
    1. Zero time. Pre-grid will hold things up for maybe a minute if you ask on pre-grid the race prior. If you're a little late, you'll do the warm-up and they'll shortcut you on the track if needed. If you're later than (I think) 20 seconds, you're starting from hot pit.

2. 1 Transponder and you can put in your leathers. If not, there's just enough time to slap it on the next bike if the bracket is mounted.

3. Have the bike warmed up, in hot pit with someone holding water, sweat rag and cleaning rag for helmet bugs if needed. Keeping close to race pace on the cool down will gain you some time. Next race leaves pre-grid when the last bike from the previous race gets to T6 or T8 on the cool down. If you're that last bike, you're starting from hot pit.

4. Relax. Good luck.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Senior Member Expert
    I copied this from another post I put up, on a different thread when someone mentioned putting the transponder in your leathers:

Be careful with the transponders in your pocket...... I have done it, but would hate to crash on it and end up with broken ribs or chest.....

Also keep in mind that the transponder are made to transmit the signal no higher than 3' off the track (Chris could clarify?)... I had mine in my pocket early in the season last year due to "back to back" races on different bikes, and was not scored on the last lap of a race because I sat up going across the finish line, which put the transponder in my pocket too high to transmit.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have time to swap transponders no problem. The easiest way is to have someone meet you at the pre-grid with your other bike. Get off one, get onto the other, swap transponders, slam water, off you go.

I have ridden to my pit and swapped bikes as well on my own, and was not late to the hot lap.

As mentioned above... you can rush through your cool down lap of your first race, but I would not recommend going "race pace".... Keep it safe, ok to pass within reason, no need to "buzz" someone......

Now if you led and won the first race, on the other hand... haul ass!! 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks - it was actually your comment from the other thread that got me wondering on the transponder issue...

me and brownie used "safety" cotter pins last year on the 250. i wired the cotter pin to the fork leg and just unclipped from the r6 and clip into the 250. it is kinda a 2 person job with race gloves on.

they are the same safety pin cotter clips that many use on their caliper bolts for quick wheel changes.

another tip would be to pit near hot pin lane, exit or entrance. that way a second person could be there to switch transponders, pull warmer, and let you take a swig of water
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Geoff,

I've run the endurance races back to back and AMU / STU back to back. Same bike though.

A quick release safety pin on the transponder is a good idea, and works well. One transponder is all that should be necessary. Having someone in your pits that can warm up the bike and have you ready to go when you pull in will be pretty important for the sprints.

For the endurance, we'll be doing superstreet instruction between them this year, so you should have plenty of time.

Hope that helps

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Maybe you shouldn't race so much :shock:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    Maybe you shouldn't race so much :shock:
    If the endurance races were longer I wouldn't have to... :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    I copied this from another post I put up, on a different thread when someone mentioned putting the transponder in your leathers:

Be careful with the transponders in your pocket...... I have done it, but would hate to crash on it and end up with broken ribs or chest.....

Also keep in mind that the transponder are made to transmit the signal no higher than 3' off the track (Chris could clarify?)... I had mine in my pocket early in the season last year due to "back to back" races on different bikes, and was not scored on the last lap of a race because I sat up going across the finish line, which put the transponder in my pocket too high to transmit.....
    Jeff has it right. You're putting a solid block of plastic into the pocket of your leathers. Not even the shape of the transponder would be friendly to your body in the event of a crash.

Hopefully the more common issue you'd have to worry about is the transmitting range. Although AMB says the limit is no more than 4 feet off the pavement, other factors beyond a rider's control to simply tuck in could reduce that height. Sounds like a swap is definitely the way to go.

Member Amateur
    So here is my two cents on this issue since we have had problems with this in the past.

If you have any planning skills at all this can be done without much trouble at all. Follow these simple steps and I can pretty much guarantee you will easily be able to switch bikes on back to back races without even feeling rushed.

1) You need a minimum of two people to help you. So get your wife, friends, bum off the corner or hire a professional pit crew...whatever works for you. These people are going to bring your second bike up to pre-grid near the track entrance. One will grab your bike as you pull in and you will jump onto your next bike. The person that is holding that bike will go over to your first bike and get the transponder, remove it and place it on the bike you are now sitting on. Might even be nice if someone has a little water for you. You are now ready to head out.

2) Don't dilly dally on the cool down lap. If you are dead last, guess what... you don't get a "cool down" lap. You keep riding (safely) and get your @$$ into the hot pit area.

Two things. That is even better than I thought. People have missed there races because they didn't do these two things. It is also nice if you tell Cresta at pre-grid what you are trying to do. She will try to wait as long as she can without inconveniencing everyone else. But when the track marshal says "send um", then she has to let'em go.

Anyways, hope this helps!
    Kyle Isker
    RORU TOP 5 - 2006
    FORMERLY MRA #34

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../Kyleedit2.jpg