Thread: How the novice races work

Senior Member Amateur

How the novice races work

Okay so I know they start in waves. So does that mean that the finish positions are based on total time? If the second wave starts 2 turns behind wave 1, do they get any sort of time allowance? So I am going to start in 3rd wave and then I have to make up time that was spent waiting while the first wave gets a head start.

Please help me understand.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Expert
    Yes, the first wave gets a "head start" and you do have to make up the time. There is no handicap or anything like that. You will be scored based on overall finish.

Its just a matter of putting down the hammer. Definitely possible to get up to top 5 from the second wave

There will never be more then 2 waves, 42 riders total, 7 rows of 3 - gap - 7 rows of 3.
    Casey D

Senior Member Amateur
    thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering what type of advantage those in the first wave got over any late starters. That is tough but hey. More motivation.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Expert
    After a few races, it works itself out, so don't let it get you down.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6
    thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering what type of advantage those in the first wave got over any late starters. That is tough but hey. More motivation.
    I had a lot of fun starting from the last row of the last wave

Like Munch said after a couple of rounds you will be gridding next to people the same speed as you. You will work your way through the grid.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by racedk6

Like Munch said after a couple of rounds you will be gridding next to people the same speed as you. You will work your way through the grid.
    That was fun Grubbs

Member Amateur
    To add, the top 10 finishers from last year's novice classes are required to move up to amateur. So keep that in mind as well.

See ya in the back! \/
    #724 MRA

Senior Member Amateur
    I only raced a few races last year and was able to make my way through from starting like 32nd or 35th up into the low 20's by race end and I'm not fast. Hoping this year racing from the start of the season will help me get up a bit more in the field, first wave would be nice to experience.

Starting at the back you can get a few places off the start just by getting off the line quick, which I never did, and I found my lap times continued to decrease as the race went on and you got into faster company. Starting at the back does help you get more comfortable passing people too.

If you are a really fast guy (or gal) racing novice like some from last year were you'll get in the first wave right away.
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    as far as the head start time.. Depends on the track but its usually bout 30 seconds before the 2nd wave is let go...

Senior Member Amateur
    I thought it was more like 15 or 20 seconds... Hard to tell, but I know that the faster guys in the second wave in the beginning of the season were catching the slower guys of the first wave by turn 6. Moral of the story, doesn't take long to make that time up in novice races and things level out quickly.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by racedk6

Didn't that get a little expensive and use all your duct tape Grubs??? I seem to remember a roll of duct tape involved from starting from the back.

I started the first race last year in the second wave and didn't race all the races. All the rest of races I was in the first waive. It seems to always work it self out, and you will have people your speed around all the time. Makes for some fun racing no mater where you finished.