Thread: Helmets...

Member Amateur

Helmets...

So just throwing out the topic. Whats peoples take on helmets when it comes to arai, shoei, suomy... then on the other hand scorpion, kbc, hjc... Is an arai better than a scorpion? they both good enough to protect your oh so precious head? Is it just a price difference or is there a protection difference?

Just seeing what everyones thoughts are

Senior Member Amateur
    I wear an Arai RX-7 because every other helmet I have worn before or after it has been heavy, not aerodynamic, doesn't look as good, doesn't fit as good, and offer the same warranty and repair program.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Expert
    I bought a $60 Shark helmet on ebay. I think it saved me from major head damages if not my life back in 2008 when I highsided coming out of turn 7 and landed on my head....

for me, making sure it fits correctly is more important over price. the arai's and kbc's both fit me well, i wear arai on the street and kbc on the track. shoei makes a good helmet but they don't fit me as well. last thing you want is your brain rattling around in a loose helmet.
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    i guess i have a oblonged shaped head. Arai my mouth is almost touching the guard, and soumy is for round heads too. shoei seems to fit me best

Senior Member Expert
    ima go wear it to bed, cuz Im having major winter blues. why cant it just stop snowing

Senior Member Expert
    The safest helmet is the one that fits properly, regardless of name, price, features or anything else. Try on as many different brands as possible. When you find the brand, model and size that fits the best, buy at least two in either the solid color paint scheme, or something that's on closeout (be sure to check the manufacturers date) because they'll be the least expensive. You WILL fall, and the helmet WILL be worthless afterwards, so don't waste money on fancy paint schemes or special editions. I have a fancy Suomy helmet in my trophy room that I bought brand new...four laps later it was a $450 paperweight. Never again.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    +1 on fit. The only helmet I can get to fit me right is an Arai. So I am screwed I get the pleasure of spending 500 a piece on helmets. Go try on every brand, wear each for about 10 minutes. If you feel a hot spot or if it too loose then move on. Keep in mind some companies like Arai have different shape helmets for different shape heads, so you might have to try on multiple models. I don't mean to endorse a shop but Performance has a good selection to start trying them on. Also watch the manufacture date, that has to be less then five years. Right now there are some Arai's that are on clearance at Vickory, but were made in 2004 or something. Beginning of last year the Arai I bought from Performance was made in 2007, so even brand new helmets were sometimes made one or two years prior. Good luck

Member Amateur
    i have a odd shaped head myself, had an arai a sweet little fancy one that i found out turns into a paperweight the hard way. Picked up a suomy vandal and it fits... different. its nice and snug but feels like my chin is hangin out the bottom (just sits a little higher up)

But scorpions seem to be a pretty nice fit on me as well... shoeis also fit me pretty well also.

Just sparking the conversation, if you had arai and scorpion fit you or as marty said kbc and arai... would you trust the kbc/scorpion?? or get the arai? is it a name thing or is there a quality difference. because the new Corisair V cost what 4x as much :shock:

last year when i was helmet shoping after a wreck i didnt want to go cheap on my helmet obviously, just seeing what your guys's take is

im just bored in this blizzard 8)

I use a scorpion both on the street and on the track, it's a nice fit and I think is just as good. My 2 cents.
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Amateur
    I think price is mostly weight and comfort, but I also can't justify sticking my head in a $100 helmet. Just my $.02 as well.

Senior Member Amateur
    double post

Member Amateur
    but when it comes to weight, the new X-12 weighs more than a scorpion says this report:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm
    and its what a number of ounces lol i know fit is the number one goal BUT as neal said he cant justify wearing the 100 dollar helmet, but if they are snell/dot certified doesnt that mean it can take the same hit?

Senior Member Expert
    You dont even want to get into the legistics of snell/dot approved helmets.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by racedk6
    You dont even want to get into the legistics of snell/dot approved helmets.
    You talking about do we give up a bunch concussions to save one life? Too bad you can't tell how you are going to crash and have a perfect helmet for that?

What I mean for the people who have not seen the debate is SNELL has been accused of being too hard, and thus not absorbing energy like a softer helmet. But will the same softer helmet reflect harder impacts. So has been the question, risk a concussion in a softer crash to save a life in a crash of a significant impact to the helmet?

*I should be snowboarding in this weather, not debating helmets... Ugg gotta get on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianThunder

Just sparking the conversation, if you had arai and scorpion fit you or as marty said kbc and arai... would you trust the kbc/scorpion?? or get the arai? is it a name thing or is there a quality difference. because the new Corisair V cost what 4x as much :shock:
    i had to buy 5 helmets for last year due to crashes and i only got a bit dizzy from one of those crashes. because the kbc fit well, i didn't feel like i was sacrificing on safety. i did have a scorpion once, it made it about 10 laps before i "used it up". the only complaint i had was it put wind in my eyes more than my other helmets but then again i only tested it for a few laps ops:
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Fit is the most important. Then weight.

I decided to go to a low weight helmet after a crash on the street and had some bad neck whip. I was wearing a Shoei RF800 helmet.

Presently, I use HJC Carbon Fiber helmets for racing. My first HJC helmet was an AC-12. I tested the AC-12 with a tumbling crash. No neck whip and a small scuff on the helmet. My head was fine. My foot had three broken bones. I don't want to do any more helmet testing. Presently, I use an HJC FS-15 Carbon fiber helmet.

There are some new helmet technologies getting developed in Europe. I don't know if these helmets are available in the US.

Lazer has a "Superskin" helmet that is interesting. It is supposed to reduce rotational head injuries by using an outer layer that mimics the scalp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZIE2XoxaFE

There is a helmet that gets cool on impact. It's called ThermaHelm.
    http://www.thermahelm.com/cooling-helmet-technology
    --------------------------
    Again, Fit is number one.
    Cheers,
    Rod Mattison -- '05 SV650, MRA # 26
    STM Suspension, Pirelli Tires, Vortex Racing, EarthX Batteries.

Senior Member Amateur
    http://araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=49

That article made me buy my arai.
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

Senior Member Amateur
    Can't really answer your questions on safety differences, but a lot of the "cost" is built into design, rider sponsorship, fit/finish details (eg locking visor, chin/air block, materials, etc).

I've ridden with an Icon (no jokes please - I was young and no, there wasn't a mohawk attached), Arai, Shoei, Suomy (both Spec 1r and Extreme) and currently an AGV GP-Tech.

Since AGV wasn't brought up I just wanted to throw in my .02. It is BY FAR, the lightest and most comfortable helmet that I've ever worn. Yeah, it was a bit expensive, but I'm wearing the exact helmet that Simoncelli wore last year. I saw him crash a few times with it, so I know it works.

On a side note, I would HIGHLY reco that everyone buys a $40 EVS neck collar to fit under your helmet. It helps to eliminate bobble-head during crashes. I actually thought about it working during my Pueblo turn 1 get off in 08'. Funny the things you ponder while sliding on the ground at 90mph.

Senior Member Amateur
    Curious about the comment on a neck brace, haven't seen many guys wearing them but seems like a good idea as long as it doesn't restrict motion or make you overheat, anyone else have experience wearing one?
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    The Lazer video has me looking for a dealer in this country yet the website doesn't state that there is one. I know I've seen people wearing them here though I just purchased my replacement Arai. Hopefully I won't be needing another but then again....well who am I kidding. Who locally sells them?

Senior Member Expert
    I have used ARAI Corsair, RX7, SUOMY Vandal, Spec-1, , SHOEI RF-800, 900, KBC Racer 1, SHARK RSI, HJC and crashed tested every brand (not model). Granted all crashes were different types, speeds, and had impact in different places.
    In my personal experience:

Best Performers were: Shoei RF-800, KBC Racer 1, Shark RSI

Worst: Suomy Vandal, HJC (cant remeber the model), Arai Corsair

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico
    Curious about the comment on a neck brace, haven't seen many guys wearing them but seems like a good idea as long as it doesn't restrict motion or make you overheat, anyone else have experience wearing one?
    The EVS II neck collar is just that, a collar type protective device. Basically just a thin piece of foam that fills the gap between helmet and shoulders. The EVS II is formed to fit over shoulders quite nicely and doesn't restrict movement.

It took me a lap or so to get used to having it there, but I don't even feel it now. The only problem is it comes in adult or child size. The adult is slightly large, so it can get turned around.

Regarding overheating, again this is just a simple wrap and doesn't change your temp at all. You may be confusing what I'm talking about with the full-on EVS I system that a lot of dirt bike guys use. That protects from neck down and attaches to the shoulders. An interesting side note about that, people have been complaining about broken collar bones after crashing with the full system. Personally, I'll take a broken collar bone over a spine/neck injury any day!

Buy one I promise you'll like it and won't want to ride without it.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil
    I have used ARAI Corsair, RX7, SUOMY Vandal, Spec-1, , SHOEI RF-800, 900, KBC Racer 1, SHARK RSI, HJC and crashed tested every brand (not model). Granted all crashes were different types, speeds, and had impact in different places.
    In my personal experience:

Best Performers were: Shoei RF-800, KBC Racer 1, Shark RSI

Worst: Suomy Vandal, HJC (cant remeber the model), Arai Corsair
    Interesting that you have 2 of the most used helmets in the worlds racing series listed as worse. Can you gove some insight as to why that is?

Member Amateur
    Dude, my Suomi looked sweet but, seemed to have broke in too much. I also have the "oval" head syndrome and love my Shoei. I was also happy with my Arai.
    auzzy