Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000RR blowing blue smoke

Senior Member Amateur

1000RR blowing blue smoke

I posted this on CSC, but just want to get all the feedback I can get as I'm ready to snag this bike if all is well. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

I just went up to Springs today to pick up a bike that I've been checking out on CL. Everything looked excellent. This bike is an '05 1000RR and is in SHOWROOM condition. No exaggeration. I took one look at it and thought it was a done deal.

We started it up and it was idling real crappy. We let it warm up until the temp read 180* and idle smoothed out. When blipping the throttle it would blow out a puff of blue smoke. At idle it wouldn't smoke and at constant rpm it would not smoke just when blipping it. I took it up the street and it was stuttering and sounded raspy, but no smoke. Not smooth power and crisp sopund like my previous liter bike had.

I know blue smoke is bad and a sign of ring wear or valve issues, but here's the thing. The bike has been sitting for a year and a half while the guy was in Iraq, and still has the same gas in it as when he left. Could this be a contributing factor as to why it's blowing blue smoke when revving? This bike is mint and I just don't see how such a well maintained bike with only 5k miles on it could already have motor issues. The guy paid $9k used for it at a dealership 2 years ago(showed me the paperwork)and only put 300 miles on it. The dealer wouldn't have sold him a lemon and he couldn't have done anything to it in 300miles.

I really want the bike if it could be something minor, but don't want to pull the trigger just yet and end up with a lemon.

Get a GSXR...problem solved!
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Expert
    highly unlikely that the motor is worn out, very highly unlikely...

Does it have an aftermarket pipe? or was the bike recently worked on and something left unplugged? like a map sensor etc...

The smoke your seeing is likely to be fuel, not oil, from an overly rich condition caused by something like i stated above.

I've seen hondas with a billion miles on them, unless they it's been just wrung out by a wheelie king, I'd bet it's ok.

BTW, you can buy 2008 leftover cbr1000's (brand new from the dealer) for $7500.... why buy used.

Go into any honda dealer and ask them about the deal....

My buddy just bought one from Sun honda in denver for $7800 out the door, brand new no miles.

Honda is trying to liquidate old stock.

Sean jordan (137) just bought one from a honda dealer in Oklahoma for $7000 ....

check it out...
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Member Amateur

Re: 1000RR blowing blue smoke

Here are my .02

The sputtering ect.. is hopefully from gas that has gone bad.

The blue smoke is definately oil being burned. With the condition described and the long sitting spell, my guess would be that at least one valve guide seal has gone bad. Talk the person down on the price, drain old gas, put in new gas, and if it runs good (it will probably still blow some blue smoke) then it's probably a seal. If it's just a valve guide seal it can still run pretty darn good, but replace ASAP.

Senior Member Amateur
    All very good info, thanks guys. It does have an after market pipe. It's pretty full of oil. I stuck my finger in it and it's wet, sticky, and black and when you turn the bike off smoke still billows out of the end. The guy bought it in Alabama so I was thinking maybe it could be rich, but doesn't fuel injection adjust itself? He bought it from the dealer and the guy who sold it to him, it was his personal bike.

I know the guy is a straight up guy and not trying to sell me a messed up bike. He honestly didn't know it was doing that. He already took his post on craigslist down. I think he wants to get it looked at.

A new left over '08 is something to consider, but personally I like the looks of the pre-'08 models.

I emailed the guy and told him to drain that 2 year old gas and put new gas and see if it helps. If it does I'll take it and like coax said maybe try to jew him down a little more.

Member Amateur
    The pre-08 is 20 pounds heavier and has 10 less horsepower, no slipper clutch, and no ignition interrupt control system on it. I like Bens idea! See Frank@ SUN :twisted:
    auzzy

Senior Member Amateur
    Instead of trying to "jew" him down a bit, why don't you think about how offensive saying shit like that in a public forum is (or anywhere else for that matter). If you don't understand why that term is patently offensive then take a little time to think about it. I'm sure you can figure it out. And if you can't figure it out on your own, here's a little help.
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jew_down

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by nobasin
    Instead of trying to "jew" him down a bit, why don't you think about how offensive saying shit like that in a public forum is (or anywhere else for that matter). If you don't understand why that term is patently offensive then take a little time to think about it. I'm sure you can figure it out. And if you can't figure it out on your own, here's a little help.
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jew_down
    My apologies to any super sensitive members for not being politically correct. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. My last name is Stein and I didn't even think about what I said as being rude.

On another forum, I was looking at a Triumph and mentioned that I liked them since I had owned every brand of Jap bike. Was I out of line for that one? Would rice burner be out of line? Look it up in your wiktionary for me and get back to me. Thanks.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by auzzy
    The pre-08 is 20 pounds heavier and has 10 less horsepower, no slipper clutch, and no ignition interrupt control system on it. I like Bens idea! See Frank@ SUN :twisted:
    I might do that. Need to save for a couple more months tho. Can't really ride 'til then anyway.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1
    Look it up in your wiktionary for me and get back to me. Thanks.
    ok.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

Senior Member Amateur
    ok.
    So predictable. =D>

Hey I want to thank all you guys who gave me some input on the RR and advice on what to do. Problem solved. I just picked up an '07 R1 at Spradley(local car dealership) for $6000 cash out the door. Essentially I paid $5500 for it since I would've had to pay tax on any bike that I bought off the street, but all that was included in the sale. I'm content. Clean bike check it out.

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/mcy/1581402283.html

Senior Member Amateur
    ok.
    So predictable. =D>

Hey I want to thank all you guys who gave me some input on the RR and advice on what to do. Problem solved. I just picked up an '07 R1 at Spradley(local car dealership) for $6000 cash out the door. Essentially I paid $5500 for it since I would've had to pay tax on any bike that I bought off the street, but all that was included in the sale. I'm content. Clean bike check it out.

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/mcy/1581402283.html
    Nice bike Good for you.. DID YOU CRACKER HIM DOWN ON THE PRICE ??

Senior Member Amateur
    Careful on your choice of words, I don't want anymore tears on this thread.

Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Amateur
    lol you should be able to find a lot of after market parts for that bike for a real good deal .

Senior Member Expert
    So predictable. =D>
    Well played. :wink:

Nice bike too!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by snay
    lol you should be able to find a lot of after market parts for that bike for a real good deal .
    I have all the race parts you could need. Bike only raced one weekend.

Ohlins TTX Shock
    Ohlins Cartiges
    Rear Sets
    Power Commander
    Quick Shifter
    Kit ECU and Harness
    Steering Damper
    Bodywork
    etc...

Plus all the stock stuff.

Give me a call if you want. 303-210-0425
    8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    Quote Originally Posted by snay
    I have all the race parts you could need. Bike only raced one weekend.

Ohlins TTX Shock
    Ohlins Cartiges
    Rear Sets
    Power Commander
    Quick Shifter
    Kit ECU and Harness
    Steering Damper
    Bodywork
    etc...

Plus all the stock stuff.

Give me a call if you want. 303-210-0425
    8)
    You are the one I had in mind just didn't want to throw your name out there !!

Senior Member Amateur
    #277, I'll be in touch. I blew the whole wad on the bike. Was only trying to spend 5k. Anyway, I'm gonna get a loan for upgrades in a month or so. Just paid a couple big loans off and waiting for them to boost my credit score.

I might be interested in the race plastic and rearsets. First off is an exhaust, but I didn't see one in your list of parts.

What doe you guys think? KR Tuned 3/4 systmem 50% off at $768. Or Leo Vince EVOII carbon slip on for I think like $950? The leo is isd a slip on but doesn't say if it eliminates the cat.

Senior Member Amateur
    Here's the original bike in question. If anyone is interested in taking a chance on the bike let me know I have his email. He's supposed to drain the gas and put some fresh gas and let me know what happens. He's in the military and getting staitioned to DC in 30days. He doesn't want to take it with him. I like the mesh/number plate over right light, nice touch. Yes this bike is this clean in person. Somebody will end up with a nice bike for 5k if everything is kosher.

Senior Member Expert
    Somebody will end up with a nice bike for 5k if everything is kosher
    really?.....seriously....

WTF......

Its unreal how we have become a society that is, financially, morally, and ethically fucking bankrupt.

Yes it's the trifecta....be proud of it! Cause there's nothing left.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    [quote="benfoxmra95"]
    Somebody will end up with a nice bike for 5k if everything is kosher
    really?.....seriously....

WTF......

Its unreal how we have become a society that is, financially, morally, and ethically fucking bankrupt.

Yes it's the trifecta....be proud of it! Cause there's nothing left.[/quote

Yup I'm slow what did I miss hear :-k

Senior Member Expert
    He's making a direct jab with another Jewish slur trying to be funny or a smart ass or a dick, becuase I assume he has no fear of the consequences of his actions or just an outright lack of respect for anyone else.

The context of the way he used the word "Jew" was completely racial and although it's not considered offensive to the majority of the population, It is taken offensively by the Jewish culture.

I'm not Jewish and I make it a point not to use the word Jew as a verb. The same way I'd like someone else to respect my religion, race culture etc... But I was raised differently, in a different time and taught to respect everyone no matter race or color, unless they did something that was undeserving of respect.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95
    He's making a direct jab with another Jewish slur trying to be funny or a smart ass or a dick, becuase I assume he has no fear of the consequences of his actions or just an outright lack of respect for anyone else.

The context of the way he used the word "Jew" was completely racial and although it's not considered offensive to the majority of the population, It is taken offensively by the Jewish culture.

I'm not Jewish and I make it a point not to use the word Jew as a verb. The same way I'd like someone else to respect my religion, race culture etc... But I was raised differently, in a different time and taught to respect everyone no matter race or color, unless they did something that was undeserving of respect.
    Got it !!

Off top Thanks for the ride it was a fun time and kirst says whatz up Wolverine!!! see you soon and have a gooood DAY :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95

Ditto
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast