Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Jacked thread - now about spec racing little goats...

Senior Member Expert
    did someone say mini bike?

Senior Member Amateur
    Holy crap, there is nothing 'mini' about those two on that bike....
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    Here at altitude, a supersport spec SV650 spec class would be a real hoot.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Why "contrived"?
    contrived –adjective; obviously planned or forced

race –noun; a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

A "contest of speed" implies that the fastest wins. Any contest where everyone has an equal shot at winning is contrived IMO...

Brewer has seen it done, AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL whereby the top 3 from 600, 750, and Open ran the "big race" and they sent them out "hanidcapped" based on "likely total time". It provided some very cool racing, and a very exciting last couple laps.
    I know it's been done and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a hit... it just feels gimicky to me.

It feels like the kind of racing the Boulder City Council would advocate (if it was done with renewable energy of course). Maybe some of the entry fees should go toward buying carbon offsets? :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Agreed. =D>

I think it'd get more participation than a Ninja 250 class too.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by gsnyder828
    Agreed. =D>

I think it'd get more participation than a Ninja 250 class too.
    I agree.

Senior Member Expert
    So if, for example, something like Racebikerentals.com were to come to Colorado - there would be interest?
    250's or SV's either would be fun to rent or get a group racing. SV's would be more competitive but the 250's are probably cheaper. These are the bikes to win the clubman championship on, and the tire bill would still be little.

Do it Tony! :shock:
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Completely side topic:

In a few years, I suggest we run a class for all electrics:

Some of the stuff from the eGrandPrix and TTXGP are completely amazing (and homebuilt), and I would kill to race one!

http://www.egrandprix.com/index.php

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1255092157.jpg

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1255092714.jpg

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1253616533.jpg

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1253715499.jpg

Senior Member Amateur
    http://www.motopartslist.com
    Buy, Sell, or Trade your used parts and accessories.
    Brad Hampton - RMMM / COSM #206

President Expert
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    And, my point being this:

It is easier to retain an already existing racer than it is to create a new racer.

Viva la Little BIke!

Senior Member Amateur

Ninja 250R

If we get a 250 class I'm in and my son the guy I got my 1k from started racing the 250r class last yr and he has alot of track records on the big bikes says he is back to having fun. He and a lot of guys that are fast and race the big $$ bikes Have gone to this class and it has brought the fun back for them. Not that im fast or not having fun I just think it would be fun as hell class and not a shit ton of $$ on the bike I missed a 2008 250R sell on are KSL ADDS IT SOLD for $1300 with 1640 milels on it

Senior Member Expert

Man you should have thought of that idea years ago :lol:
    Is this like the movie ground hog day?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by hcr25

Man you should have thought of that idea years ago :lol:
    Is this like the movie ground hog day?
    DON'T DRIVE ANGRY!!!

(I have given up entirely on remind people of history Mikey.)

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    Now we need to do something along those lines. If it turns out I will buy one this winter so I can build it to race for sure.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../elviscopy.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lvis8310d1.jpg
    MRA #831
    Out for the 2010 Season due to Lower Lumbar fusal surgery, got to love the Army!!!!
    Thanks to our 2010 Sponsors:
    Vortex, PSR, Race Tech, GoPro, Amsoil, Moto master(now I just need to heal so I can race again)

Senior Member Expert
    Completely side topic:

In a few years, I suggest we run a class for all electrics:

Some of the stuff from the eGrandPrix and TTXGP are completely amazing (and homebuilt), and I would kill to race one!

http://www.egrandprix.com/index.php

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1255092157.jpg

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1255092714.jpg

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1253616533.jpg

http://www.egrandprix.com/gallery/th...1253715499.jpg
    Damn it.

OMRRA beats us to it!

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39615

Senior Member Amateur
    How many of you guys would really do these 250 cup bikes. The only thing I don't like is there wont be many other class to ride it in. I could ride my r6 in other classes. But wont be learning as much as I will on the 250. Right? Could there be double headers for the cup class 2 races a day 4 a weekend or something like that. That would be cool.
    ILLMATIC Racing
    MRA#503

Senior Member Expert
    I'll take a step back from my sarcasm and be serious for a minute to benefit the people out there that don't know me:

I have preached this for far too many years: in my humble opinion, a class that limits the financial exposure may actually benefit a club racing environment. I know we all like to believe spending more and more $ is the secret to being competitive (trust me, I have had some expensive motorcycles!). While some may have proven that to be true, it is not the secret to having fun and actually being able to continue to do this sport year after year decade after decade. Most of us do not have the talent of Clarkie or Shane, but it doesn't mean spending $5000 on a supersport motor will somehow provide us the zen moment when that $5 plastic trophy is put in your hands. So, in my humble opinion, having the most amount of fun for each dollar spent should at least be an obvious alternative to chasing racing glory into the financial poorhouse.

With this said, I am not sure the 250 is the best choice. Anything that limits the financial outlay while providing a an environment that is reasonably level and entertaining really is the end goal. Just the fact that there is enough discussion around this topic means finances are on the minds of many.

So, it could be a 1999-2002 R6 Cup. Those are cheap and parts are everywhere.

Or, an EX250 or even 500 cup.

Or, (in my humble opinion), the best one of the bunch would be a SV650 cup. Ask Applehans what a BONE STOCK SV650 with bodywork can do, even on stock suspension.

Who cares which one is chosen really - most of us will race tricycles if there are enough people to race against. Just do Supersport rules on the engines to keep you nutjobs from overboring the piss out of it, and make the rest unlimited origins to allow most anyone to play.

The real gig here is to get enough people interested in these types of ideas. The CB160s even have a following...This is not a new idea, and I absolutely loved racing SVs with WERA in years past.

OK - back to my normal level of sarcasm and the MRA-normality where $45,000 motorcycles compete for $5 trophies....

Senior Member Expert
    I'll take a step back from my sarcasm and be serious for a minute to benefit the people out there that don't know me:
    That's kind of you Dave...usually you make us learn the hard way

Or, (in my humble opinion), the best one of the bunch would be a SV650 cup. Ask Applehans what a BONE STOCK SV650 with bodywork can do, even on stock suspension.

Who cares which one is chosen really - most of us will race tricycles if there are enough people to race against. Just do Supersport rules on the engines to keep you nutjobs from overboring the piss out of it, and make the rest unlimited origins to allow most anyone to play.
    =D>
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    [/quote] 2010 KTM 125cc race bike. KTM wants to lure young riders to its brand. You want to bring new racers to the MRA. I really want a spec class. Lets make a deal with KTM.

Member Amateur
    This is a great thread - not sure why I hadn't seen it before - maybe I've spent toooooo much time in my garage trying to get my 160 ready for this season (it's currently at Faster - and hope to make the appearance this weekend at PPIR - GO BART)

First off - I'm a newbie - but after the MRA race class weekend - I have the "bug" - not sure why it didn't happen before I hit my 40's but none the less - cant wait to get out there.

Second - the "appeal" of the 160 - for a guy like me - was limited financial outlay - and frankly - didnt want to roll onto a track on a bike I felt could be more "risky" from a speed.hp perspective - kind of a crawl (probably literally on the 160 ), walk, run approach - and believe that starting with something manageable and with a fun factor - to work on my race skill would be a great option - Ive yet to race - but believe this will be the case in spades - have you seen pix or footage from the Portland AHRMA race?? 52 bikes - 160's/175s on the grid at one time!! And some great race action!!

Third - there are 250 cup classes with the little Ninjas in other states and regions - and seems what everyone else here has stated is spot on - fun, in-expensive, competitive etc... - all positives - and I believe like the 160's - the bike will be a common denominator - and lend to "who has best strategy and skill will win" - not who has the most money into the bike (not minimizing skill - but some peeps have more money and "more bike"...)

If I go back to my opening statements - about the "bug" I have to expand my track opportunities - I have already been following 600cc race bike for sale here and elsewhere - have heard great things about the SV's - quite frankly - I would likely jump on a Ninja 250(or comparable) today and have it track ready ASAP if there was a class/series where we could race them as a class or series - like the 160 classes that have sprung up and put enuff bikes to have their own race and points.

As it goes - I would likely NOT be here or be as excited as I am about racing if not for the 160 class and the promise of "fun, cheap etc..." !! That also goes for my buddy Chris Tittsworth - who's 175 is also down at Faster - So if the MRA could/would promote a class like the 250's or something similar - I believe it would be a great way to allow for new racers to get excited about racing, as well as existing racers - who want more track time - or simply cant keep up with the financial aspect of racing the bigger faster bikes.

Just my .02C here - but will buy a 250 tomorrow if I can race it against other 250's - would probably do the same with an sv650 - and like I've been doing with the 160/175's - will evangelize every chance I can to get others to try it!

Also - yes - make no bones about it - 160's are getting harder to find - and the "cost of entry" has gone up - that said - 175's are great options - as they were produced more years, and hold a similar power/weight ratio - find a cheap 175 and its a cheap racer in waiting if you cant find a 160!

Dan

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Louden
    2010 KTM 125cc race bike. KTM wants to lure young riders to its brand. You want to bring new racers to the MRA. I really want a spec class. Lets make a deal with KTM.[/quote]

This bike is a concept bike and I have not yet seen anything like it actually for sale.

And, in my humble opinion, a 125cc 4 stroke here at altitude would not be terribly fun as a roadracer even at IMI. It is basically my XR100. Maybe at a really small cart track it would be good...But why not race an NSF100 at that point which already has parts and would probably end up being cheaper?

Senior Member Expert
    Oh, but it anyone can strike a deal with any manufacturer, sign me up!

This is still probably our best bet for the cheapest of the cheap:

Senior Member Expert
    Your right Dave this is just a concept bike, but what turns a concept bike into a reality is interest. Yes a 125cc bike would not be that impressive at attitude, and this bike would be better suited with a 250cc motor, but clearly looking at the CB160 following horse power is not the goal. The goal is to make racing more affordable to new racers and old racers while providing the fun and excitement of head to head racing. The reason why I think pursuing this bike in particular is a good idea is due to the fact that its not even in production yet. If the bike was for sale in 2010 they would be brand new and therefore have little to no maintenance cost unlike rebuilding a CB160 (not to mention reliable), and likely the bike wouldn't see any major changes for several years. When I read about this bike each article pointed out KTM's interest in bringing new riders to its brand. As you may know the Kawasaki ninja 250 has got a hold on spec racing and a hold on the 250cc street bike market. So its going to be really hard to ask Kawasaki to sponsor a spec race with their bike when they have so many people already using them. KTM on the other hand, is just getting into creating concepts in the small street bike market. If we can convince them that creating a spec class with us could benefit their company. We could benefit the MRA.

Senior Member Expert
    Call up KTM and ask. I will back you with support!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast