Thread: Brad's BMW S 1000 RR riding test from FL!

Senior Member Amateur

Brad's BMW S 1000 RR riding test from FL!

Hi guys, I recently got a chance to ride the new 1000 at PBIR in Florida, attached is a link and the plain text of my review, for your viewing pleasure of course

http://bradhendry.blogspot.com/2010/...s-1000-rr.html

REVIEW:
    Riding the 2010 BMW S 1000 RR!

After having read all the tests, online reviews, and BMW literature on the new S 1000 RR, I knew I was in for a real treat when we arrived to ride the bike at Palm Beach International Raceway, just outside of Palm Beach, FL. The weather was perfect, and the 2.2 mile track was filled with a good mix of slower second gear corners and a few faster 3rd gear sweepers with lots of on the edge of the tire braking and accelerating zones. One very long straight good for 5th gear wide open tested top speeds and fairing design well. Not much for safety here, so don't make a trip out just to ride there, rather, visit HPR just east of Denver for even more thrills in a safe environment!

My initial impressions sitting on the bike are very positive as the seat isn't too high and the rearsets are high enough, but not uncomfortable. During my ride I did manage to drag my knee quite a bit, thanks to an enthusiastic lead rider who wasn't a stranger to race pace, but I never did drag my toes. Lean over to the clip-ons is comfortable, and I can happily say that the bike feels like a comfy 600; a Honda CBR 600 comes to mind. Taking off onto the track the cable actuated clutch is linear and light, if not fully actuating a little further from the bar than I am used to. The bikes we were riding were equipped with top notch Metzeler DOT race tires, so traction surely wasn't going to be an issue until the full 183 HP came out of the screaming motor to the rear tire. Fortunately, the bikes were fully equipped with BMW's revolutionary race ABS and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) with both systems reading front and rear tire speed to help keep the rider in control.

The S 1000 RR comes standard with a "Mode" button which allows the rider to select on-the-fly from "Rain", "Sport" and "Race" modes. The 4th mode is clearly indicated as "Race" mode, and is only accessible when a red jumper is placed into the wiring harness under the easily removable seat (just like a GSXR, two 5MM bolts will get the job done). On a bone stock bike (read=no ABS, no DTC) the mode system controls how the power is delivered and how much HP is available. "Rain" is the only mode where full HP is taken back, making the machine feel much like a 750 that accelerates smoothly on the side of the tire with out too much excitement. Add the race ABS and DTC package, and the control gets much more fun with different levels of control for power delivery, ABS, DTC and wheelie control, all based off lean angles, throttle inputs, and wheel rotation. A camber sensor is fitted to the bike with these packages, and switching into "Sport" mode allows more power deliverable at heavier lean angles, with full power at straight up and down. Step it up to "Race" mode, and even more power becomes available at lean angles, with both ABS and DTC taking on more aggressive characters, allowing just the perfect level of wheel spin and brake slide. In "Race" mode, the rear wheel ABS is disengaged allowing more experienced riders to use the rear brake to slide into the apex. Put the bike into "Slick" mode and you now have the most aggressive settings on the machine, even disengaging wheelie control when the bike is up and down for 5 seconds. As on all sport BMWs, four and two wheel types included, both ABS and DTC can be turned off should you want to take your life into your own hands Me, I chose "Sport" mode as my favorite setting. I never felt ABS engage, even at aggressive levels. The power came on smooth and strong, with DTC giving me perfect exits from each exit. The brakes are a combination Nissin master cylinder with Brembo calipers. Strong is an understatement. The race ABS was excellent, and I can honestly say I never felt it engage, even as I rode in the "Sport" mode at what might be considered a race pace.

Handling wise I was absolutely spoiled with a stable machine that can change direction in milliseconds with a quick flick from full left to full right. To clarify, I was riding the bike with bone stock suspension, and settings all set at median numbers. I felt the front push a few times when I really rode hard, and only here would I need to spin the clickers and keep riding happy. Not once did the bike shake it's head, owing to a good factory stabilizer mounted under the triple clamps. There was a slight tendency for the machine to run wide when in "Race" mode, which leads into another unique part of this machine. On the stock Sachs rear shock, there is an eccentric piece for a quick 5MM ride height change. Just pull the bolt, flip the piece, and insert the bolt again. This would have taken care of the ultra aggressive race corner acceleration problem I felt. For a street ride, this would never be necessary, but how cool to do at a track day, and then be able to put it back for street riding?

I think that leads well into my conclusion. This is a no holds bared, phenomenal, race bred superbike. BMW has left NOTHING on the table, from power to suspension to fit and finish. This machine delivers on every level, and I wish I could make it a race bike! But racing is only half the story here. It is also a great street bike, and even without (what I think should be mandatory because they are SO good) rider aids like ABS and DTC, it can go from 600 tame to full on loony. This write up is just the tip of the iceberg, so I encourage you all to call me or any of our capable sales people at Colorado Euro or Foothills for more information. Better yet, come in and see or ride the demos that we have. We have a demo day coming up on February 13th, see www.coloradoeuro.com for more details. I love this new bike, and I think you would too, be sure to check it out. With prices starting at $13,800, it might even be in your budget

Senior Member Expert
    Enjoyed reading your review Brad, just can't ride a four cylinder to save my life! Something about can't teach an old dog new tricks!