Thread: Kawasaki cuts 2010 contingency

Member Amateur

Kawasaki cuts 2010 contingency

Kawasaki officially announced this morning that there will not be any 2010 Road Race Contingency.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    HOLY COW!

Kawi has been among our biggest supporters for as long as I can remember. Guess that shows just how tough things are right now...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Don't be surprised if the others fall in line to a certain degree. I rumors about KAWI last year, that it was going to be the last big hooray. Guess it was true.

mike

Senior Member Expert
    Guess it was a good way to convince riders to buy the 09 ZX6 last year......
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    well, bullocks. so who is still payin?

Senior Member Amateur
    Where did this news come from, Gerry. I can't find a PR about it anywhere...

Senior Member Expert
    I think he's maybe hoping to keep it all to himself as Kawasaki's team green website says it's gotten better than ever with the new team green Master Card.
    I can't imagine them cutting their program completely out though alot of people are speculating. Remember you can't believe everything you read on the internet, though most people do therefore the offer for people to get a ride in my Ferrari F40 has been a real hit. Just send me $$$ and you get a ride around HPR in this supercar capable of over 225 MPH on the straight!

Senior Member Amateur
    I think he is more right than wrong...

They do speak highly of their dirt stuff, but I did notice there is no mention of the road racing contingency, and the links/buttons/tabs have all been removed.

I have a feeling it was done away with, but I just wanted to see a release somewhere. I'm sure it will come along shortly. :cry:

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by cromer611
    well, bullocks. so who is still payin?
    I heard a rumor that Pirelli will be upping the ante this year...

Senior Member Expert
    Yeah we're all goin to be rich with CC bills!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Junk
    Where did this news come from, Gerry. I can't find a PR about it anywhere...
    Several racers on the WERA board have called Kawi

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=241395

Member Amateur

source of news

I have been touching base with my contacts at kawi for months regarding this announcement as it controls our plans for the year. they initially told me that contingency would be the same as 2009 or very close to it. we have held off on buying any bikes until the news was official. after seeing kawi post contingency on their website finally but it only being for motocross and off-road, I called the Team Green office. I was told officially they cut all road race contingency for 2010.

They can be reached at 949-770-0400. Reid Nordiin heads the Team Green program, and Debbie Barilla is his assistant. The operator can connect you to either.

Senior Member Expert
    Good job looking after your proverbial rear end Gerry, I have been impressed by the way you run your racing effort and hope to continue to see you do so. New racers and old could stand to learn a thing or two from your professionalism

Member Amateur

pending?

thanks for the kind words jon.

Humm.. just when you think you've heard it from the horse's mouth......

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39245

Senior Member Amateur
    Sounds like the horse didn't like the negative feedback! 8)
    I did not claw my way to the top of the foodchain to eat my veggies.

glenngsxr wrote:
    trannies are way different... Glenn #62

MRA #822

Senior Member Expert

Re: pending?

Quote Originally Posted by gpsigs
    thanks for the kind words jon.

Humm.. just when you think you've heard it from the horse's mouth......

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39245
    Interesting,

I called them today and was told that there was no roadracing contingency program for 2010. Sounds like they are backtracking a bit.

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    I know of a least a couple riders who are sleeping on the idea of getting a new 6R or just either holding onto the one they've got or just hanging it up for a year. It's a tough call as without the contingency or any real purses to sell your accountant on the fact your racing as a business. Mine just last year looked at me sideways when I brought it up.
    Folks, it's going to be a tough year for the MRA regardless of our best efforts and renewed PR.

Senior Member Expert
    hmmm, I'm cautiously optimistic that the bad press is pushing them to do some sort of rr contingency
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Well that's about the only pressure that they seem to be succumbing to as they had little trouble making the decision to back out of the AMA/DMG fiasco.
    IMO, I believe they are just trying to access how much ultimately of their bread and butter comes from us club racers vs. from normal street riders who aren't going to race, aren't going to go and not see their bike compete in AMA/DMG and aren't likely putting much importance on the performance vs. style when accessing which street bike will impress there girlfriends and scare their mothers!
    One things for sure and we'll see how this goes, IMO we shall see who's in it for the love of the sport and not just looking for a good write-off at the end of the season.

Senior Member Expert
    Jon,

Is Pierobon offering contingency this year?

Kidding buddy...we KNOW you're in it for the love of the sport.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Yeah they are paying the big bucks.They're matching Boulder Motorsports and Ducati contingency dollar for dollar.
    In my twenty years of racing I've managed to run a good bit of it as a business and get a write off. Back before you rode, I had a Suzuki TLR 1000 and raced the same bike from 1998-2005 I managed to earn contingency on the TL as well several regional CRA,MRA,AMA and a few national championships. I sold them off to other racers recouping some of the expense. (I could sell them because everyone thought they were Yoshimura superbikes (funny what a paint job and some good riding can do) Then in 05' using all the accumulated crap I had left, built a Japanese Ducati. At 360 lb's (the bike, not me) and143 HP my Japanese Ducati actually won several races but became outgunned and I out spent by others who joined the Ducati Cup first. In 06' I raced a very nice Kawaski Ninja 650!
    It wasn't until the last couple of years, well, actually ever since I started racing Ducati's back in 07' that I have done it for the love of the sport and have managed to spend more in that time than in the 18 years prior.
    At my age though, I just figure why not have a really cool bike or two and have everyone bitch because success in life is being celebrated and the kids inheritance is being spent. :lol:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Back before you rode, I had a Suzuki TLR 1000 and raced the same bike from 1998-2005

Jon, I'm not that young....I started in 2002, broke my spleen and came back in 2005. I attended the races as a spectator in the middle years. I certainly remember the TL and the Shepherd bike.

Anyways....I'm glad that you found a great contingency deal for this year. Sounds about like my deal from Ducati!

I'm also glad that you keep doing it for the love of the sport. The paddock wouldn't be the same without my borrowing expensive grease from you in trade for sunscreen.

scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Too funny. as I was cleaning out my trailer yesterday for the fellow who actually said he was very interested in buying it, I ran across that very same sunscreen that I could have sworn I'd returned to your pit mate. Regardless, you will get it back as I only use the expensive stuff LOL, and if your interested in some good expensive grease either hit up Big Pete (The Lumpa)at German Auto or visit Motorex USA and get a sponsorship deal through them and maybe they'll give it to you too. I've got my MG mechanic hooked on the stuff. He helps me use the twenty five quart jars that I don't believe I could ever.
    Not sure how much if at all I'll be seeing you around here as I've got other commitments for the summer, Their names are Dylan and Devin and they've got Kawasaki's to ride!