Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superstreet Class Summary

President Expert

Re: IMO

Quote Originally Posted by motolitho
    On the PR side- you guys have my info- I attended the SS meeting. I am also on the Chicane customers list. No one has contacted me personally about the updates to this class other than finding this thread and talking to Bartman at Faster. You guys can do better to reach out. I even offered someone in charge of PR to help- I work for a commercial printer and offered to print for free. No response.

Chris Burford
    Chris,

On behalf of the MRA's PR effort, I apologize that I did not contact you personally. I did contact those that offered me printing help and unfortunately I do not recall our conversation nor receiving your contact information. It could have been an oversight on my part. If you would, please PM me your contact information and we can discuss offline the MRA's printing needs.

Chicane is a separate organization and not affiliated with the MRA so we do not have their customer list.

Super Street is a new class for 2010 and the rules were just finalized recently. We have tried our best to get this information out to all potential SS competitors. This has included posting the rules on multiple forums, email distributions, the MRA's facebook page, and holding clinics like the one you attended at the Walnut Room and the upcoming scheduled clinics. Unfortunately attempting to call each interested individual personally to go over the rules would be a tedious undertaking so the MRA has relied on publicly posting the rules. I'm sure our Rider Rep overseeing the rulebook, Casey Dragos, would be happy to speak with you further on the rules.

Thanks for bringing these deficiencies to our attention and we will try to do a better job reaching out to everyone.

Jim
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    I would absolutely be happy to help with the rules regarding the Superstreet class or anything else for that matter.

I can be reached via PM on this forum or my email address listed below. Feel free to send over any questions or concerns you have about racing.

As Jim said, we cannot call EVERY rider but we are here to answer any calls I hope that helps!
    Casey D

Member Amateur
    No worries... I was just offering my opinion. I have had no issues getting the info I need. I just deal with marketing on a daily basis and thought an email blast or small direct mail piece may be in order. ops:

Senior Member Amateur

I am on the wrong bike (GSXR100),
    Chris Burford
    DUDE... you really are on the wrong bike.
    But if your doing 2:15's at HPR on a 100 you may be on to something. lol
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    If we have the SS rules and everything completely settled, then it would do no harm to do an e-mail blast. Scott, Jim, Rybo - is it buttoned up and ready for the masses?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Member Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schellinger
    I am on the wrong bike (GSXR100),
    Chris Burford
    DUDE... you really are on the wrong bike.
    But if your doing 2:15's at HPR on a 100 you may be on to something. lol
    Rad.

Being an AMA member but not an MRA one yet, I would like to pre-register for the first two races if that is a possibility, or will this be a first come first serve kinda deal?

Senior Member Amateur
    trying to get pole position, eh..?

but your dirty bird is soo intimidating, ya know, cuz its a track bike

as a potential for this class, I'd just like to say that I think it would be nice to have some experienced eyes out there on the track(not competing necessarily)...granted, getting blown by like you are standing still may seem discouraging, but you aren't going to get any faster following riders with little/no experience, however, you may be able to pick up a few things from someone with a bit more track time.

and speaking from experience, I'd much rather be passed by someone who knows what there doing, then get stuffed in a corner by a fellow noob

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Being an AMA member but not an MRA one yet, I would like to pre-register for the first two races if that is a possibility, or will this be a first come first serve kinda deal?
    first come first served for now, though we may offer an "online payment" system for SS before the season starts. We're working on other things at the moment, but this "is" on the list of things to do.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    As I'm not getting the licence this year I think I will take my 1972 GT550 and race this class sometimes

Might be fun to race against the new bikes on this "old lady"

Can I do that?

This bike have only about 60hp so I would be somewhere around 2:30 - 2:45 lap times
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mforza
    As I'm not getting the licence this year I think I will take my 1972 GT550 and race this class sometimes

Might be fun to race against the new bikes on this "old lady"

Can I do that?

This bike have only about 60hp so I would be somewhere around 2:30 - 2:45 lap times
    Martin,

So long as the bike can pass tech, it would be allowed in the class.

scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Cool

Better get her in shape now
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Junior Member Novice
    As a relative "newb" to trackdays, I was excited to hear about this classification. But I ask myself, "Why would an experienced racer, regardless of their classification (novice, amateur, etc.), want to ride/race alongside the intended riders of this class." The stated reasons seem quite suspect and defeat the purpose for creating this class.

Although I'm sure a newb like me will be competing against experienced trackday riders that are "technically" novice/amateur/expert racers without a license, I find it discouraging that currently and previously licensed racers are looking for "loopholes" that would allow them to ride in this class. Is it to prove their superiority amongst a group of future race prospects?

If this classification is ultimately gridded with licensed racers, I would sooner continue my normal trackday riding and altogether skip this opportunity to learn about racing.

Just my opinion.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    As a relative "newb" to trackdays, I was excited to hear about this classification. But I ask myself, "Why would an experienced racer, regardless of their classification (novice, amateur, etc.), want to ride/race alongside the intended riders of this class." The stated reasons seem quite suspect and defeat the purpose for creating this class.

Although I'm sure a newb like me will be competing against experienced trackday riders that are "technically" novice/amateur/expert racers without a license, I find it discouraging that currently and previously licensed racers are looking for "loopholes" that would allow them to ride in this class. Is it to prove their superiority amongst a group of future race prospects?

If this classification is ultimately gridded with licensed racers, I would sooner continue my normal trackday riding and altogether skip this opportunity to learn about racing.

Just my opinion.
    Licensed racers will NOT be able to grid up for this race. It is stated to be for non-licensed riders ONLY.

Casey D

Junior Member Novice
    The thread is full of comments questioning the rules that exclude licensed riders who contend they would like to ride in this class with their streetbikes, or stating that their participation would fill grids and increase MRA revenues.

I'm merely voicing the opinion of a rider that you're reaching out to. :wink:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    The thread is full of comments questioning the rules that exclude licensed riders who contend they would like to ride in this class with their streetbikes, or stating that their participation would fill grids and increase MRA revenues.

I'm merely voicing the opinion of a rider that you're reaching out to. :wink:
    You are the rider type that we wrote these rules for.

I understand what this thread has discussed, I just wanted you to know for sure how the rules are structured and that you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your opinion on this If anything else comes up that you have questions or concerns about please let us know!!!
    Casey D

I am also the type that is interested in this class. Done a few trackdays, have a prepped bike but not ready to race as of yet. I wouldn't mind having a few licensed experts out there. I agree it can help my riding dramatically. I'm not going for the win I just want an opportunity to get out there and dice it up a lil bit.

Unfortunatelly I don't think I will be able to partake in any of these races because of the fact they will take place on a Saturday. I like many have to work saturdays but an occasional Sunday I could fly. Who knows I may be out there, we shall see.

My .02

Kirk

Senior Member Amateur
    Well, I think im your target demographic here. Ive ridden along time, and have done track days here and there in other states. I dont have the time or finances this season to get a race bike going. Id love to go take my street ride out to dice it up, without the worry of being in professionals way. I realize that surely there will be quicker paces than others in this class, but hopefully it wouldnt be as disproportinate as if us newbies were in with the other regular classes.

that being said, just a couple questions.
    Im planning on attending the school this weekend. Im assuming that if I want to race one or two of these ss races, that I should not purchase the license at this time, post school.

Wondering if anyone has an idea as to how competative this class will be (IE: are we going to be a bunch of lemmings out there, trashing our beloved street bikes lol)

Also, i didnt see it in the fourms. Do i need to have a steering stabilzer installed for the ss classes.

Thanks

Senior Member Expert
    You are correct about your race license. DO NOT purchase a license if you plan on running the Superstreet class as being licensed will make you ineligible.

No clue on how competitive this class will actually be. Its our first year running such an event, so its anyones guess as to how things will turn out. Personally, I think it will be on a "per weekend" basis. We might get some super fast track day/canyon carvers one weekend, and maybe just your average street guys the next.

You don't need a steering damper for the Superstreet class.

If you have any other questions, please email myself or any other board members. Also, feel free to post up here.

See you at the track this weekend!!!
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    Just to clarify for those that will be participating in the Superstreet class for 2011, an AMA Membership will not be required for 2011.

Though we do still support the AMA, and recommend an AMA Membership for the Roadside Assistance benefits vs using AAA...
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Member Novice
    So how was the turnout for this class last season?

Was it about the same number of entrants through each round or were there more/less as the season progressed?

And how aggressive were the riders on their streetbikes?

I'm really liking the idea of this class, I did a few trackdays and last year & now I want to get a dedicated track bike. With this class I might be able get my feet wet in an actual race.

One other question, I don't see any origin of bike restrictions in the SuperStreet rules. Would a GP bike (non-street bike) be allowed in the class as long as the rider is eligible?

I want to get a honda rs125 2-smoker & run trackdays + SS the first year. Then perhaps novice classes the next year.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus

Was it about the same number of entrants through each round or were there more/less as the season progressed?
    I don't know, someone from the board might have a better indication.

Seemed though from my memory that most rounds had a fair amount of entrants turn out.

The speed varies as does the aggressiveness. Typically it appears that they generally stay within their own limits. But as we are all human, sometimes our aspirations get the best of us in the moment.

One other question, I don't see any origin of bike restrictions in the SuperStreet rules. Would a GP bike (non-street bike) be allowed in the class as long as the rider is eligible?

I want to get a honda rs125 2-smoker & run trackdays + SS the first year. Then perhaps novice classes the next year.
    There are no real bike limitations for superstreet as it isn't quite a traditional race series. It is a way for you guys to come out and see what it is all about in small tastes. Many have come out for several rounds to continue doing superstreet. But there isn't any official timing or scoring and therefore no points / championship keeping. Since there isn't any score and the point is to come out and experience it, there are no bike restrictions. Just prep to pass tech inspection and safety.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert

I'm really liking the idea of this class, I did a few trackdays and last year & now I want to get a dedicated track bike. With this class I might be able get my feet wet in an actual race.

The entrants for the class averaged about 12 with a peak of 29 last season and a low of 8. The weekend we had 29 entries was the week after our 4 hour endurance weekend, when we don't run the superstreet program, so I'm guessing that it was pretty much residual from two rounds that lead to that spike.

We've seen some GREAT racing in this class, some with close finishes. There have been some crashes, but for the most part I would say that the level of "aggressiveness" is about the same as the fast group on a trackday.

There are no bike restrictions - Superstreet is "run whatcha brung"

As a side note from a guy who's owned some 2-stroke GP bikes - they are wicked fun, and you will develop great riding skills by having one, but if you are at all uncomfortable doing maintenance then this is not a great choice. They require quite a bit of attention to keep running well with reasonably short intervals between needing top ends to stay in top running condition. Also, with the demise of 2 stroke racing at the highest levels, parts for them are becoming more scarce and expensive. Not saying that you shouldn't do it, just saying make sure that you look at the whole package before you do. Other great choices for first trackbikes exist out there, including a well sorted 1999 R6 that's on the forums for extremely reasonable money right now. The SV650 is also an outstanding choice as a first dedicated track / racebike.

Hope that helps!

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur

Track newb but not motorcycle new hehe

Hi there I'll do a quick intro along with my questions, glad to be a part of the 2 wheel community which is an awesome one, wouldn't have it any other way!

Name is Damir, 25 years old, currently work as an apprentice for Mike Ward Infiniti. Been a member of the Colorado Sport bike Club since 07' and riding sport bikes since I was 17. Been wanting to take the next step to track racing for a long time now, never had the money or time unfortunately. However, just found out this year about the Super Street race class to be able to improve and see what I can really do cause well canyon carving is just getting old, dealing with LEO's/dumb cagers, animals and road hazards is just not worth it anymore. Never was a crazy rider anyways, just looking to do the responsible thing while keeping my life/all points on my DL and staying away/keep others from danger.

Want to send a huge thanks to Jim Wilson who made it easier for me at the Walnut Room to make the jump on this during an MRA meeting by giving me a gift certificate for a free S.S entry this year. I am shooting for the HPR session August 25th to pop my track cherry, gather up the gear, prep the bike and have some time in advance to prepare and join the addiction 100% which was made even easier when I went to PPIR this past Sunday, saw the races, just hooked 110% on this idea and haven't even stepped onto the track once yet lol... So now my questions are:

1. If I want to get signed up to reserve my spot which I tried already BUT you have to enter a credit card #, however it doesn't offer you a certificate option, how do I go about signing up with the certificate I was given?

2. I am a type 1 diabetic but have the condition under very good control, is this a big deal that could keep me from racing?

Thanks in advance and sorry if the post is a clusterf*** lol 8)

Senior Member Expert
    MadVlad-

The certificate is an exception - send an email to Jim Wilson, Jen Grosse and Lisa Gaimara with your request and we'll get you signed up for the event in August.

As far as your medical condition - we will have you fill out a medical form on the day of the event. Your condition shouldn't keep you from racing, barring an event just before the event that shows the condition is not properly controlled.

Disclosure on the medical form is the key - if there are large concerns we will review it with you and our on-site medical team in advance of your participation.

Welcome to the MRA - you're going to like it here!

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast