Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superstreet Class Summary

Senior Member Amateur
    Ben,

Thanks for your phone call.
    I do see your point on several things you bring up.

Since this is un-chartered territory for us or any other club, I'd
    like to start with what we have set up.
    Maybe we can make some changes as we go.

I feel this is an opportunity for an un-licensed racer to experience racing without having to set up a motorcycle. If they like it hopefully they will buy a license and start racing as a novice.

I can see the chance for say somebodies father or brother or wife that may wish they could try it out. This person could use the current racers bike instead of taking the chance with a real street bike.
    Like I said before "I don't think the capabilities of the machine will be the determining factor.
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Wow, very interesting discussion sorry I'm joining so late. My .02....

For the record, the superstreet class discussion has been going on for months on the forums, at the MRA meetings, etc. Long before the rules committee meeting, at the rules committee meeting, and now it's been voted in as a 2010 class with rules in place. While I think this discussion is very good it won't have an impact on the 2010 format. Am I correct?

That being said, it's ironic that racers are complaining that they can't get into the superstreet class. Originally there was objection to this class as being dangerous, now you guys want to race it? FWIW, this is not the reaction we were getting in all the meetings and discussions leading up to the formation of this class. Where were you guys last year when we were talking about this??

We as a club created this class for new guys, as a stepping stone to "try racing" and see if the rider wants to jump into a novice license. There are no points, no trophies, it's bragging rights only. And after just 2 superstreet events the racer can petition Mark for a novice license. It's a great idea and I'd like to see it have it's chance in 2010.

How about if enough guys want to create a streetbike class we put it to the rules committee for 2011?

Wyeth
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Wyeth --

I am simply asking for clarification of the intent as the rules are just now posted and I was only curious.

I have no intention of racing the class.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Wow, very interesting discussion sorry I'm joining so late. My .02....

For the record, the superstreet class discussion has been going on for months on the forums, at the MRA meetings, etc. Long before the rules committee meeting, at the rules committee meeting, and now it's been voted in as a 2010 class with rules in place. While I think this discussion is very good it won't have an impact on the 2010 format. Am I correct?

That being said, it's ironic that racers are complaining that they can't get into the superstreet class. Originally there was objection to this class as being dangerous, now you guys want to race it? FWIW, this is not the reaction we were getting in all the meetings and discussions leading up to the formation of this class. Where were you guys last year when we were talking about this??

We as a club created this class for new guys, as a stepping stone to "try racing" and see if the rider wants to jump into a novice license. There are no points, no trophies, it's bragging rights only. And after just 2 superstreet events the racer can petition Mark for a novice license. It's a great idea and I'd like to see it have it's chance in 2010.

How about if enough guys want to create a streetbike class we put it to the rules committee for 2011?

Wyeth

No I don't want to race it either.

But what I haven't explained clearly enough. Which I did on the phone with mark was:

I don't like limiting ourselves. Like saying "no licensed riders".

Because of te fact that right now everyone is fired up for this class "build it and they will come"

well that's awesome. But what about 3 race weekends into the season? Will there still be 10 streetbike riders out there? Or just 2. What about 5 races into the season? 1 streetbike rider?

Interest may fall off, maybe we lose some street riders because they now decide to get a license, I'm just thinking of how full this grid will stay based purely on streetbikes, so maybe by allowing licensed riders, there will be a few extra guys out there to fill the grid if they decide to give their streetbikes a thrash, that have been sitting in thier garages....(not race). The desmo is a perfect example. There's no one in their right mind gonna "race prep" a bike like this but there's people who'd like to give them a little run to see what it's got against a gsxr1000.

Maybe there are some other exotic bikes out there that a some of our licensed riders might like to have this option. Someone in this club owns an rc45. I'd love to see that bike on the back straight against a desmo.

The class is named "superstreet", not new street rider class.

Again the point is I was trying to make was not limiting ourselves for scenarios later in the season.
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Wyeth --

I am simply asking for clarification of the intent as the rules are just now posted and I was only curious.

I have no intention of racing the class.
    Got it, please keep asking questions. xoxo

This class is about the MRA being open and welcoming to new racers. It's inexpensive and has a track day level of prep requirements. Most of the people coming forward are track day riders who are curious about racing. It's proposed to be after all the other Saturday races so we can encourage these guys and watch their race. I dig the whole concept, very excited to see how many people come out.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    I am looking forward to watching them after endurance, should be a decent show too. I just hope they all don't try to win the Moto GP championship in the first race.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95

Maybe we miss named the class. ops:
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schellinger

yes it should be called markys bad ass bunch of new riders.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Member Amateur
    Just out of curiosity and in the interest of sustaining the new class, has anyone (PR) spoken with the dealerships to promote this opportunity to street riders? This would put the idea before a lot of people that may still not know that MC racing even exists in CO or may not tune into the forums or have friends who are racers.
    MRA #100
    http://viets-performance.com/
    Big Dog Wraps
    Pirelli / Ohlins / ChickenHawk / XT Racing

Senior Member Expert

Again the point is I was trying to make was not limiting ourselves for scenarios later in the season.
    Good points Ben, and you're not the first person to wonder about the size of this grid. You're right, the whole idea is to convert these riders into novice licenses so what will happen to the superstreet grid? Ideally it will generate new blood in the MRA and renew itself with interested track day riders. I think it's worthwhile experiment, we'll offer a protected class for the new guys to try without cherrypicking racers in it.

Lord knows I'd be the first in line if I could get in!
    #145 Wyeth Jackson

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight
    Just out of curiosity and in the interest of sustaining the new class, has anyone (PR) spoken with the dealerships to promote this opportunity to street riders? This would put the idea before a lot of people that may still not know that MC racing even exists in CO or may not tune into the forums or have friends who are racers.
    Actually yes! Don't know that it's finalized but this idea has already been proposed.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight
    This is currently in the works.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    There's one last thing I want to throw in here for you guys to keep in the backs of your brain.

I like the idea of this streetbike class, actually alot more the more I think about it.

I'd really like everyone to consider for a future time my reccomendation of allowing previously and currently licensed riders in for the reasons I stated above and the added reason that this also could draw back in older hibernating Mra racers that don't have race bikes right now, can't afford a race bike, but have a street bike in ther garage.

I know there's gotta be some old license holders out there that'd might like the adrenaline rush of the green flag but don't want to or can't get a "true" race bike. Maybe they come back and ride this class a couple times a summer.

I think the growth potential of this class and the purpose it "could" serve is multi level, not just for new riders.

Signing off now.

Btw Wyeth, i'd like to propose qualifying for this class...... #-o

just kidding.....
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schellinger

yes it should be called markys bad ass bunch of new riders.
    :lol: :lol: i second that nomination!
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    I know there's gotta be some old license holders out there that'd might like the adrenaline rush of the green flag but don't want to or can't get a "true" race bike. Maybe they come back and ride this class a couple times a summer.

I have not held a license since 2006, and I have been thinking that this might be fun, and possibly on more than a few races. I have no desire to come back to the normal grids, but this is a possibility. Would I be legit to enter and if so would I have to do the class room stuff every time or even the first time? And possibly a price break for not requiring the instructional part.
    Keep in mind I am on a bike that puts out stock SV650 power :lol:

Member Amateur
    I just want to throw my 2 cents in. If i didn't love my street bike more then i love my own mother ("and i Still love my mommy a lot") i may want to race it. Having said that i wouldn't want to race it with fellow racers, no offense but if you want more people to come out and enjoy it then let them win. Having experienced racers out their with their street bikes blowing by them in turns and straights is not going to make it fun for some one that just wanted to try it. If that many of you fellow racers want to race your street bike then why not just add another class just for you guys?

Also when are these races going to take place? hopefully at the end of the day right?

would an acceptable compromise be, IF we have any mra members who want to race their street bikes, could we put them in a first wave. this way the street guys could still race for a win and the desmos and the like could still have some open track to rip it up.

lap traffic would still be an issue but i would guess most mra guys and gals would try to make more "gingerly" passes if they were on their nice street machines when passing a more timid lapped street rider.
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    Marty,

I'm still working out the weekend race schedule, but the plan is for this to take place on Saturday. The current plan is for there to be a training session in the intermission between the endurance races and the race taking place as the last event of the day.

Scott
    Here you go Mr. Losh!
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller999
    I have not held a license since 2006, and I have been thinking that this might be fun, and possibly on more than a few races. I have no desire to come back to the normal grids, but this is a possibility. Would I be legit to enter and if so would I have to do the class room stuff every time or even the first time? And possibly a price break for not requiring the instructional part.
    Keep in mind I am on a bike that puts out stock SV650 power :lol:
    Dave,

Please understand that the superstreet class is a marketing tool for us. We are trying to increase membership as a whole. Therefore we are going to require anyone who wants to race in the class to take the instructional portion every weekend.

If people want to come and grid up and race, that's great. To avoid taking the class we're going to require them to have a full MRA race license. If you want to come out and play, then it's going to mean some class time every weekend.

Marty,

At this point my vote is to leave it as it is. What we're trying to do as an organization is create a safe space for learning during our race weekend and encourage the participation of new riders.

I'd be happy to revisit this discussion after we've done it a few times and see how it goes. At this point I think we have a good foundation of what we would LIKE this to look like, but it's going to take a couple rounds of doing it to get the bugs worked out before I'm interested in modifying it much.

As an aside to all: This rule change proposal was made in August of 2009. It's been discussed on the forums, there was a rule change meeting and a number of opportunities to voice opinions about how this should be executed. I guess my point is this, I find it a bit disappointing that with those opportunities presented that it isn't until AFTER the final rule is announced that we are anxious to debate it. Decisions are made by the people who show up.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    I understand the marketing part, I don't understand the viability part. If the class is successful at its "goal" it will die due to attrition. IMO you have to encougage repeat offenders. And you still didn't answer my question. Am I legit to run in this, does the MRA want my $
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    I understand the marketing part, I don't understand the viability part. If the class is successful at its "goal" it will die due to attrition. IMO you have to encougage repeat offenders. And you still didn't answer my question. Am I legit to run in this, does the MRA want my $
    Yes, to be "legit" you cannot be eligible for a race license. Since you are more than 3 years expired, you are legal. (and for sure we want your money...)

Yes, the idea would be for the class to die of attrition, that's the ideal situation, but new riders are created every day. My guess is that we will see a strong interest in the class at the beginning of the season with some folks either converting or quitting as the season progresses, with a resurgence of interest again in the early part of 2011.

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    Yes, to be "legit" you cannot be eligible for a race license. Since you are more than 3 years expired, you are legal. (and for sure we want your money...)
    Does it actually state this in the rule change wording? I thought the initial wording was "not current MRA racing member".

3 years post license applies to a Novice MRA Race License specifically.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    After last year the whole club agreed we need to grow our membership and be more welcoming to new people. That was the impetus behind creating the superstreet class. The goal is to keep it a fun friendly stepping stone, lower key than say, Novice GTU. It's the only class a superstreet racer (who's not licensed) can run. The target superstreet entrant is a track day rider who's curious about racing, or someone who's been away from the club for a while. The goal of this event is to breath new life into the MRA.

For the racers who are disappointed at not being allowed into superstreet--we often hear from the track day riders that they're worried about being too slow, or being buzzed by racers. That's why we're keen to keep it a protected class for new guys. This is uncharted territory, but I'm optimistic that it could really build our membership if we give it a chance.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Does it actually state this in the rule change wording? I thought the initial wording was "not current MRA racing member".

3 years post license applies to a Novice MRA Race License specifically.
    You are correct on the wording. There will not be a post 3 year license rule for this class. So, if you raced last year but this year decide to NOT get a race license, you can definitely come down and run the Superstreet class. This could be on your old race bike or your current commuter.
    Casey D

Member Amateur

IMO

Hello, I am sort of new here and wanted to let you know that I seem to be the demographic targeted. I have run several track days last year and am looking forward to expanding that to racing with the MRA. I am slowly prepping my bike, but have some pricey bits yet to buy and may not be able to come up with the cash to be ready in time. SO- this new class will afford me a couple of nice privileges, get the feet wet, more track time, get to know you guys... and generally gather as much info as possible to prepare for 2011.

I am on the wrong bike (GSXR100), a little out of shape, and more than apprehensive about dicing it up with some dude on a desmosdici or whatever that packs a race license and a hell of a lot of corner speed... sorry guys- I know its YOUR job to get around me. I need some time to get up to speed- I would much rather better my 2:15 at HPR before entering a real race. Not to mention the time I need to get my suspension even close and try take offs for the first time. This class is for us- and a DAMN good idea!

On the PR side- you guys have my info- I attended the SS meeting. I am also on the Chicane customers list. No one has contacted me personally about the updates to this class other than finding this thread and talking to Bartman at Faster. You guys can do better to reach out. I even offered someone in charge of PR to help- I work for a commercial printer and offered to print for free. No response.

Chris Burford

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast