Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Superstreet Class Summary

Senior Member Expert

Superstreet Class Summary

Purpose
    The MRA designed the SuperStreet class for motorcycle enthusiasts who are not licensed roadracers, but who’d like to experience motorcycle roadracing on a real racetrack without the substantial investment in bike preparation and transportation equipment that club level racing typically requires. Costs for entry are low compared to the other sprint classes and bike prep is minimal. This allows people to "get their feet wet" and see if roadracing is truly for them without making a full commitment. Basically, if you are equipped to ride at a trackday you can race in the SuperStreet class.

Different from a track day, though, you will participate in an actual race against the other riders in your class where you will use race strategies & passing tactics in competing for single goal of getting to the finish line first.

Procedure
    The Superstreet class is held on Saturdays in conjunction with MRA race events at the racetrack. It starts with a classroom session to discuss racetrack procedures, motorcycle preparation, and race craft tactics specific for motorcycle roadracing.

After the classroom/registration session, which will be about 1 hour, we will go through bike tech inspection. Then you’ll be paired up with an MRA race instructor who will guide you through some basic on-track racing drills and make tailored suggestions to help you go faster. The on-track sessions will be interleaved with MRA races so you’ll be able to take a breather, make bike adjustments, chat with the instructors, or watch the MRA’s Saturday sprint and endurance races.

The grand finale of the day will be the SuperStreet sprint race where you’ll be assigned a grid spot, given the green light, and compete in a full length multi-lap race against the SuperStreet field in a no-limits contest to the finish line.

Costs
    Cost for the SuperStreet class and race is $100. It is for non-licensed riders only. Any racer possessing a valid roadracing license from any club is ineligible for this class. There are no trophies or season points for this class.

Motorcycle & Rider Requirements
    Your motorcycle should be in good working order. Roadracing puts MUCH more stress on your motorcycle compared to canyon carving and you should make sure your bike is good shape with good tires, properly adjusted steering head bearings, suspension settings & brakes. For the SuperStreet event, you are not required to “safety wire” any parts, but are required to tape up your lights and mirrors. All controls and wearing parts should be in superb working order.

It is very important that you DO NOT have glycol based coolant in your cooling system. If your bike boils over or spills glycol on the track, it is impossible to clean up so you will ruin everyone’s day.

Superstreet class bike tech rules (see MRA Rulebook section 2.9):
    1. Unlimited displacement, modifications and engine configurations.
    2. Coolant must be only water, Red Line Water Wetter, Royal Purple Ice (NOT Engine Ice or Evans coolant), or Silkolene Pro CCA coolant additives are allowed in liquid cooled motorcycles. Glycol based substances are prohibited. For the purpose of these rules, motorcycles which use engine oil as a primary cooling fluid are considered to be air-cooled.
    3. Neat and clean. Motorcycles that are dirty or show potentially dangerous bodywork damage will not be approved.
    4. Tires must be in good condition and may not be re-caps. Valve caps must be installed. Tread must be at least 50%.
    5. Operational front and rear brakes, with at least 50% thickness.
    6. Operational handlebar-mounted kill switch or button.
    7. Self-closing throttle.
    8. All lights and blinkers must be taped or removed.
    9. Side stands can remain on bike but must have good working return spring.
    10. Silicone brake fluid is not allowed (DOT 5 Brake Fluid).
    11. An MRA provided decal will be displayed on both sides of the bike at least axle line high or higher.
    12. All machines will be left to VP of Rules and Tech final approval.
    13. Riders must meet requirements as defined in the MRA Rulebook Section 5.1 Rider Equipment.
    14. All riders must conform to and have an understanding of Sections 8, 9, 10 and 11 of the MRA rulebook.
    15. The rider bears the responsibility of presenting a motorcycle in conformance with all requirements.
    16. All motorcycles and rider equipment must pass MRA technical inspection before participating in any practice session, race or school.
    17. The burden of complying with the rules regarding class suitability and technical requirements rests with the entrant. It is his/her responsibility to seek approval of the VP or Rules & Tech of any areas in question.
    18. The VP of Rules & Tech or any MRA official reserves the right to inspect any race motorcycle or rider apparel or equipment at any time during race day for compliance to MRA technical standards and may revoke the Technical Inspection Approval Sticker of any motorcycle at any time during the race day.
    19. Any motorcycle or rider involved in a crash will be subject to re-inspection. Damage that in any way endangers rider safety must be repaired prior to starting or continuing any further practice or competition.

Schedule
    SuperStreet classes will be held on the Saturdays of MRA Race events. Click here for the current MRA season schedule.

On Saturday, the schedule is
    11:00am – Arrive at the track, perform any pit / equipment setup as you need. You should have all of your equipment ready to go through tech & get on the track prior to the start of the registration/classroom session at noon.
    Noon – Classroom registration and instruction begins. Don’t be late!
    1:00pm – Classroom session ends, begin SuperStreet tech inspection
    1:30pm – pair up with instructors, start the on-track drills and instruction sessions
    The rest of the day will alternate with on-track and off track instruction sessions finalizing with the SuperStreet sprint race.

All bikes must be unloaded and ready to go at 1pm and must be cool enough to allow the radiator cap to be removed for coolant inspection. Any bike still hot will not pass tech due to us not being able to check coolant.

There will NOT be time to unload and setup your bike after the classroom/registration period, so please be sure that you are 100% ready to go prior to noon.

Registration
    Use this quick checklist to ensure you correctly register for MRA SuperStreet. If you have any issues with your registration, you can find answers and post questions in MRA New Racer discussion forum.
    1. If you are a new user, please contact MRA Vice President. He will assign you a login for the member portal.
    2. If you already have a login into the MRA portal, make sure to allow popups on your internet browser!
    3. Login to the member preregistration page.
    4. Select the “Member Login” button.
    5. Enter your Login information.
    6. On the “Profile” tab, add or check your personal information and update as needed.
    7. Select the “Renew Membership” button.
    8. On the “Membership Renewal Form”, select “SuperStreet” from “Request Skill” list.
    9. Select the “Add Item” button and select “Super Street” from list.
    10. Select the “Add Item” button again to add other items such as Pit Crew passes, Road Racing World subscription, T-Shirt orders and Safety Fund donations.
    11. Select the “Recalculate” button for an updated Total (Super Street membership is $0).
    12. Select the “Continue to Medical Information” button.
    13. On “Medical Information & Treatment Release”, update all information to most recent status and then select the “Agree & Continue to Liability Waiver” button.
    14. After reading the waiver, click the box on the bottom right that you are accepting the electronically signed agreement.
    15. Have pop-ups allowed on your web browser or hold the CTRL key down when you select the “Click to Accept & Continue to PayPal “button.
    16. Pay and you are finished! (Your total should be $0 for the Super Street membership unless other items are added to your cart)

Feel free to contact Jeff if you have any questions or concerns.

Jeff Brown, #277
    MRA New Rider Director
    303-210-0425
    jeff@12voltracing.com
    Last edited by Jim Brewer; September 9th, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
    Casey D

do you guys know what day of the weekend we will run this class?
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Marty,

I'm still working out the weekend race schedule, but the plan is for this to take place on Saturday. The current plan is for there to be a training session in the intermission between the endurance races and the race taking place as the last event of the day.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

can current mra novices and experts run this class?
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Marty,

No. This class is only available to riders who DO NOT possess any kind of race license.

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    I think we will get more interest if the class was priced more like an endurance race at $50 or even $75. Although I can see the need for the extra cost due to the amount resources and time allowed for class at the track. Who is doing the "classroom" time (I assume rider reps, rider director, track marshal)?

Thanks for the additional info!

Senior Member Expert
    The new rider director will be in charge of the class.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    hmmm I dont have a race license..... :-k

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JWinter
    I think we will get more interest if the class was priced more like an endurance race at $50 or even $75.

Even to do just the endurance race, you'd have to have a license (either one day or full season)... so the cost is comparable. One day license fee is $50, so really it's only $50 for the classroom, on track instruction, and race.

We'll just have to wait and see how participation works out. If it's poor, I doubt that $25 will be the issue.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil
    hmmm I dont have a race license..... :-k
    An interesting point, but in your case you are still eligible for one, so it really would be cheaper for you just to come endurance racing.

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JWinter
    I think we will get more interest if the class was priced more like an endurance race at $50 or even $75. Although I can see the need for the extra cost due to the amount resources and time allowed for class at the track. Who is doing the "classroom" time (I assume rider reps, rider director, track marshal)?

Jeff,

Yes, I see your point, but the reality of the situation is that a lot of resources are in play to make this happen. At a minimum, me, the new rider director, the VP of rules and tech, several rider reps and a least an hour of track time are in motion here. $100 is a pretty good value when you consider the following:

MRA Race School: $200
    MRA license: $125
    Endurance entry fee: $60 per race

Divided out over an 8 race season: $100.62 per race (if you do one race per weekend)

After doing 2 of the superstreet races, with the approval of the new rider director, these riders can apply for a novice race license without taking any additional schooling.

Now in their second season:

MRA license: $125
    Endurance entry fee: $60

$75.62 per race assuming an 8 race season.

All in all it's a really good deal and I hope a large group of people take advantage of it.

Thanks

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    Marty,

No. This class is only available to riders who DO NOT possess any kind of race license.

s
    hmmmmmm.....why not?

Let's say Marty has a street bike Ducati 748. That he does not want to race prep. Or try to race competatively. Why not allow him to ride it in this class and take his money?

There's many Mra racers that might have street bikes in their garage that they'd like ride get out on track but don't want to do a full race prep or care about points

truthfully having experts riders out there may help the novice riders with lines, procedure, etc....

As long as they are only entereing a streetbike in this class not a racebike(which would look intimidating to a new rider just showing up). I don't see a problem at all letting existing Mra riders pay extra money to the club.
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Btw correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't one of the major ideas of this class to get new riders ?

That said a new rider is going to be intimidated by seeing a fully race prepped bikes in this class. And this may deter him.

Don't you think the rules for this class should clearly state something that keeps race bikes out? If your new and gonna race with and bought a purpose built race bike then you should be just racing it in the novice points classes.

There should be some defining rules as what constitutes a race bike and keeps it out of this streetbike class.

Really could be a rule as simple as: any bike with number plates or the headlights removed constitutes a "racebike"
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95
    Marty,

s
    hmmmmmm.....why not?

Let's say Marty has a street bike Ducati 748. That he does not want to race prep. Or try to race competatively. Why not allow him to ride it in this class and take his money?

There's many Mra racers that might have street bikes in their garage that they'd like ride get out on track but don't want to do a full race prep or care about points

truthfully having experts riders out there may help the novice riders with lines, procedure, etc....

As long as they are only entereing a streetbike in this class. I don't see a problem at all letting existing Mra riders pay extra money to the club.
    Well, for one thing, I don't see why he would do it.

The cost for the Superstreet class is $100. Why would a licensed racer spend another $100 to race a streetbike in a class where there is no contingency, no points, no championship when he can enter his race bike in an additional class for $20 and possibly get some contingency dollars?

As far as having the racebikes in the class, one of our target clients would be the person who already has someone racing on the grid. This person may let their "friend" use their racebike to try it out and we would like to encourage this kind of participation.

s
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert

The cost for the Superstreet class is $100. Why would a licensed racer spend another $100 to race a streetbike in a class where there is no contingency, no points, no championship
    Because I wouldn't have to spend $5000 just to get my crap street bike race-prepped into something respectable. I don't need contingency or a championship if I don't have spend a shit ton on bike prep. (EX250 class anyone??) I could slap some DOTs on and run around on the track against other under-prepared motorcycles and simply enjoy myself on the cheap.

I too initially thought this was an open class for all under-prepared motorcycles essentially, although the crux seems more focused on getting new racers. I don't have much of an opinion either way on this (but I guess I could given enough Sweet Tea Vodka) -- I am mostly just adding an opinion.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Amateur
    Hey Benicillin

Wouldn't you agree that the capability of the motorcycle isn't the determining factor when the rider is new to the race track?

huh

My bike is stock. It has never been raced, do you think I should enter?

?
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant

The cost for the Superstreet class is $100. Why would a licensed racer spend another $100 to race a streetbike in a class where there is no contingency, no points, no championship
    Because I wouldn't have to spend $5000 just to get my crap street bike race-prepped into something respectable. I don't need contingency or a championship if I don't have spend a shit ton on bike prep. (EX250 class anyone??) I could slap some DOTs on and run around on the track against other under-prepared motorcycles and simply enjoy myself on the cheap.

I too initially thought this was an open class for all under-prepared motorcycles essentially, although the crux seems more focused on getting new racers. I don't have much of an opinion either way on this (but I guess I could given enough Sweet Tea Vodka) -- I am mostly just adding an opinion.
    Dave,

Yeah, the goal of this class is to draw new people in not create a class for existing members to use underprepared streetbikes in.

That being said, I'm all for a spec ninja 250 class or a spec sv650 class. I'd be the first guy to buy a bike if we had something like that. (well, maybe the second as I think you would be into something like this too).

Let's make it happen, let's start now creating some enthusiasm for it and get it into the 2011 season. If you're serious you might even start a new topic for that discussion!

p.s. This is my idea of light petting.
    MRA Expert #69
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Because he may have a bike he doesn't want to race prep enough to ride in normal races.

There's guys out there with desmosdici's. Know of two. That don't want to race prep them. But would like to dice it up.

And they are licensed rider already. And do have the extra cash to pay $100. To turn a wheel in anger on their desmo streetbike. But not worry about someone chasing points and running them off the track.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schellinger
    Hey Benicillin

Wouldn't you agree that the capability of the motorcycle isn't the determining factor when the rider is new to the race track?

huh

?
    acutally yes, I was going to bring you up here, because maybe you have a new rider your instructing then he decides he wants to try out the street class but is a little scared, so we allow you to ride this class as a hand holding measure for your students.

Ad the rule sits, you can't because your a licensed racer
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    I like the way it is structured. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have track day bikes and never race. If we exclude their bikes that would keep a lot of potiential new riders out. Also if you let established racers out there regardless of what bike they are on, knowing the track etc the lap times will be very different regardless of the bike. I think controlling the rider and not the bike is the best way for this class. Good job MRA. It should be fun to watch them too.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Really I see this as being two separate issues.

The intent of SS was to remove the gazillion dollar barrier so that people who "think they might want to race, but don't want to spend the mega dough to find out" could give it a try. I think putting accomplished racers in the class, even on street bikes, would be quite a deterrent for someone just wanting to get their feet wet.

IF the membership would like to add a class called "Formula No Tech" or "Formula Street Bike" - which specifically allows for the scenarios that Ben and Dave are discussing - then that's a totally different animal in my opinion. Brand new riders probably don't belong in this class for obvious reasons.

So, put that in your pipeline and discuss it!

Ps. Davey G - Jeremiah Weed is headed your way!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins176
    I like the way it is structured. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have track day bikes and never race. If we exclude their bikes that would keep a lot of potiential new riders out. Also if you let established racers out there regardless of what bike they are on, knowing the track etc the lap times will be very different regardless of the bike. I think controlling the rider and not the bike is the best way for this class. Good job MRA. It should be fun to watch them too.
    never said it was wrong or bad....

Only mentioning a way to allow for it to add a little extra money to the club which may have been overlooked.
    MRA #95
    2008 ROR #10
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by benfoxmra95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schellinger
    Hey Benicillin

huh

?
    acutally yes, I was going to bring you up here, because maybe you have a new rider your instructing then he decides he wants to try out the street class but is a little scared, so we allow you to ride this class as a hand holding measure for your students.

Ad the rule sits, you can't because your a licensed racer
    I don't know, I was just using myself as an example. I think the fact that I can't enter because I'm a licensed racer is the point. I'm not the only one that can haul ass on a stock bike.
    Why would somebody new want to get involved when they look at the grid and there are licensed racers on there stock bikes to have to deal with.
    Currently I can run minute 52 seconds at HPR on my stock bike. I just don't think very many non-licensed want that in their class.
    Mark E Mark
    MRA NOT current New Rider Director

A couple of MRA number 1 plates on the wall

http://i37.tinypic.com/v60p5c.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    ...Because you've missed the point of showing up to a track with your buddies and you want to play together. Take Jeff Winter for example. He races an RSF450, but has a CBR1000RR for a street bike. He convinces half a dozen friends he rides with on the street to come out and play at the track, but can't because he has an MRA license! Bummer, dude.

Additionally, we need people like Mark S. out there riding to evaluate a potential new racer. Otherwise they will have missed out on the instruction and feedback of the school where each instructor covers three students. If this instructor/student relationship is deemed not necessary as proposed by the exemption, why do we need to have any instructors at the schools other than the New Rider Director?

Senior Member Expert
    So, is the intent of the SuperStreet class essentially the same as Sportsman, but without the race prepping or the MRA license?
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast