Thread: 2010 Race of the Rockies Riders Looky Here...

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

2010 Race of the Rockies Riders Looky Here...

Couple of changes for 2010 that you all will want to know about.

1) We will be qualifying for BOTH RORU and RORO. Separate sessions, 15 minutes each. 600's riding up will have to run BOTH qualifying sessions to qualify based on time into the GTO grid.

2) As noted above, 600's can now ride up into RORO and are eligible to earn purse money and Top 10 plate on a 600.

3) ROR Purse Payout will now go down to 20th position in BOTH classes, instead of 15th.

4) ROR Purse Payout will now be DIRECTLY linked to the overall participation of the ROR class, NOT to the overall weekend participation.

5) ROR purse will no longer be subsidized by the rest of the MRA competitors, but rather will consist of the total entry fees for the ROR classes. The more people run the class, the higher the purse.

I haven't done the final calculations but the payout % will be similar to the current setup. For a simple example (this is NOT exact):

Figuring 20 entries in RORO - $80 x 20 = $1600 purse

First place will get approx $280 and 20th place will get approx $25

With 30 entries it would be $430 for first and 20th place would get $30

Figuring 20 entries in RORU - $70 x 20 = $1400 purse

First place will get approx $240 and 20th place will get approx $20

With 30 entries it would be $360 for first and 20th place would get $30

If we are to have any chance for a financially successful 2010 race season, we obviously need to implement responsible policies that are fair to the ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP. The Board has agreed that giving the ROR riders control over their own destiny (as far as purse money goes), and NOT tying it to overall participation is the most fair way to go. If we have an excellent overall participation, but poor ROR turnout - then the payout should be adjusted accordingly. Conversely if we have a poor OVERALL turnout, but ROR is well attended - then those riders should be rewarded, not punished.

This new payout structure will have a NET-ZERO impact on the finances of the club. We'll never pay out more than we take in - novel concept, no? The greater the participation, the higher the purse - and we're paying back 5 positions deeper so that more of the members of the club can benefit from the purse money.

Compared to the $2000 - $3000 loss the club has absorbed per weekend for the past several years, this seems to be a solution that is fair and equitable for the entire membership.

Just as a quick comparison, other clubs that run a "championship class" like this typically have a TOTAL purse of under $1000 and they only pay back to 5th - so in that regard, we're still trying to be very generous (yet responsible) in the current economic environment.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Well done! As I will never be remotely fast enough to play in that field, I essentially still get to watch for free! (thanks, net zero!).
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.