Thread: Twins class restructuring - submitted by Chris Dale

Jim 'smooth' Brewer

Twins class restructuring - submitted by Chris Dale

Senior Member Expert
    So in regards to the various new and existing twins classes, what was the ruling is there three? big twins, little twins and Thunderbike or what was the ruling and what are the specifics of these various classes?

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    I'll let Jimboy post the actual wording, but essentially we moved the "exotics" out of LWGP and made it a true Lightweight Class. TZ250 and 1000+cc twins (bimota) are moved to STGTU, all others presently legal will stay in LWGP. This is where the manufacturer contingency is now, so to change names, etc... would have led to more confusion than anything.

STGTU is basically unchanged, except that the TZ250 and Bimota are eligible. We did not add the Triumph Triple or open the displacement to include the 848's etc...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks Tony

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    I'll let Jimboy post the actual wording, but essentially we moved the "exotics" out of LWGP and made it a true Lightweight Class. TZ250 and 1000+cc twins (bimota) are moved to STGTU, all others presently legal will stay in LWGP. This is where the manufacturer contingency is now, so to change names, etc... would have led to more confusion than anything.

STGTU is basically unchanged, except that the TZ250 and Bimota are eligible. We did not add the Triumph Triple or open the displacement to include the 848's etc...
    :roll: Who knew I had a exotic bike.... :roll:
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Quote Originally Posted by polar x

:roll: Who knew I had a exotic bike.... :roll:

Well.... more like "exotic" rider!!
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Why not the Triples? I was really looking forward to running the new class...
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheispoison
    couple reasons...

1) since the class displacement didn't change otherwise, the triple would have had a significant advantage over the majority of the bikes in the class

2) the triple is already legal for something like 8 other classes
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Be careful how you word "exotics" in the rule change. Turning the new lightweight twins into a production class eliminates alot bikes. We don't have many lightweight classes to begin with. Singles and lightweight twins need to still be included. I can understand removing the DB 5, but don't remove bikes with GP chassis.

The current super twins classes are structures as GP classes. Which is race what you brought, changing the rules will hopefully be based on displacement, # of valves, or 2-stroke/4- stroke engine configurations.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by sheispoison
    couple reasons...

1) since the class displacement didn't change otherwise, the triple would have had a significant advantage over the majority of the bikes in the class

2) the triple is already legal for something like 8 other classes
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 748s and 749s legal for all the same classes the triple is?

Also, I was told on more than one occasion last year that RayRay's 749 was making more power than my 675.

I guess since the change has already gone into effect then there's no real reason to ague, but I'm pretty curious what the logic was behind leaving the Triumph out was.
    carl
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy