View Poll Results: What novice classes do you support?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave 'em alone - (ngtu & ngto)

19 67.86%
  • Add a lightweight class - (nl, ngtu, ngto)

9 32.14%
  • Replace open with lightweight - (nl & ngtu)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rule Change Suggestion for 2011

Senior Member Expert
    I'm confused... :?

are the Chris's arguing that they agree with each other?

(Who knows... maybe I was distracted by that picture.) :shock:

Senior Member Amateur
    Geoff -

This is not an argument. (Yes it is...)

The distinction that I see between the two of us is that Chris's line of reasoning is of a more laissez-faire bent - be it out of prinicple or frustration - whereas mine is more paternalistic. (The odd thing is that I am not a father, but he is...)

Of course, it could be that Chris is just being contrarian for its own sake.

(For the most part I think that we are just marking time until May 1.)

Senior Member Expert
    Geoff,

Chris is right (no he's not :lol: ) I think that we are ideologically in agreement that we both wish novices would start out on smaller machinery than they typically do in the MRA. However, the gap between us is in how to accomplish this. Just like all politics.

The good news is the ranks of small bikes in LWGP, Colorado Class, and STGTU have grown recently. Furthermore, the MRA has provisions already within the rules to create a new class simply with enough people coming forth and say they would like it created. I'm not sure of the specifics (how many riders and when it can/can't be done), but if enough novices came forward to say, "Hey, we would like to have a lightweight novice class created so we don't have to run with the 600's" it can be done. It just hasn't happened yet.

I also believe the Twins rules were changed during the off season, but we'll need to wait until publication to find out exactly what bikes will be running where. These changes could potentially make it easier for a novice lightweight rider to gain an "exception" into the new classes if he/she is grouped with similar make/model bikes and there is less chance of being a hazard on an EX500 against a Ducati 749R. Just for example.

Mandating a rule change would only seek to remedy a problem that doesn't exist within the current ridership. I suspect the new super street class will be a goldmine of opportunities and feedback for all kinds of information, and I'm very interested to see what type of bikes show up to run. It is possible if we effectively petition them to join as regular members and nurture their need for speed, we could see some class restructuring in the near future to accommodate their needs. Maybe we will see a lightweight novice class or Tony's "Ape Hanger" class. Heck, the MRA used to run a vintage class (I think until 2000), but it fell off the schedule due to lack of participation. The sky as always is the limit, but we need to have the riders to put it together first.

My .02 (+ the other .02, and the next .02)

Senior Member Expert
    Geoff,

Chris is right (no he's not :lol: ) I think that we are ideologically in agreement that we both wish novices would start out on smaller machinery than they typically do in the MRA. However, the gap between us is in how to accomplish this. Just like all politics.

The good news is the ranks of small bikes in LWGP, Colorado Class, and STGTU have grown recently. Furthermore, the MRA has provisions already within the rules to create a new class simply with enough people coming forth and say they would like it created. I'm not sure of the specifics (how many riders and when it can/can't be done), but if enough novices came forward to say, "Hey, we would like to have a lightweight novice class created so we don't have to run with the 600's" it can be done. It just hasn't happened yet.

I also believe the Twins rules were changed during the off season, but we'll need to wait until publication to find out exactly what bikes will be running where. These changes could potentially make it easier for a novice lightweight rider to gain an "exception" into the new classes if he/she is grouped with similar make/model bikes and there is less chance of being a hazard on an EX500 against a Ducati 749R. Just for example.

Mandating a rule change would only seek to remedy a problem that doesn't exist within the current ridership. I suspect the new super street class will be a goldmine of opportunities and feedback for all kinds of information, and I'm very interested to see what type of bikes show up to run. It is possible if we effectively petition them to join as regular members and nurture their need for speed, we could see some class restructuring in the near future to accommodate their needs. Maybe we will see a lightweight novice class or Tony's "Ape Hanger" class. Heck, the MRA used to run a vintage class (I think until 2000), but it fell off the schedule due to lack of participation. The sky as always is the limit, but we need to have the riders to put it together first.

My .02 (+ the other .02, and the next .02)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12