Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Further Discussion - Restructured Novice Classes

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by cakake
    That, and it really penalizes riders on smaller bikes, like an SV or 125. Scott's actually a great example, I remember watching him ride the wheels off his FZR400 at Pueblo, only to be eaten alive down the front straight. He was riding *much* better than half the novice grid, but since he was on a low horsepower bike, his lap times were on the high side. In these classes, he'd never advance.
    How many riders do we have on the smaller bikes in Nov-U now? I know Marty does pretty well with his but who else?

And as far as never advancing, there are ways of advancing to expert status besides a top-10 season. I think Mark could figure out that someone belongs in the expert classes even if they are running slower lap times on an SV vs what others are doing on 600s.

Dirk

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mforza
    So basicly as I understand this is that

I run lets say 3 races in Nov A then I get faster so I will have to go to Nov B and run 3 races there and then I maybe get faster again and will have to move up to Nov C for the rest of the season.

So my whole season of racing is for nothing as I could not finish good in final standing in any of those classes?

Then what is the purpose of the season championship?
    Not related to the rest of this, but just addressing this logic flaw: If you race slow enough to be in Nov-A, you won't be going for any season championships in any of the current Nov grids either. If you start slow and end fast you are not really in the running for the top spots regardless of class structure.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cakake
    The problem I see with this rule is that it encourages new riders to buy a 1000cc bike because of the impression that it'll be faster around the race track, and therefore an easier way to move up the ranks.

That, and it really penalizes riders on smaller bikes, like an SV or 125. Scott's actually a great example, I remember watching him ride the wheels off his FZR400 at Pueblo, only to be eaten alive down the front straight. He was riding *much* better than half the novice grid, but since he was on a low horsepower bike, his lap times were on the high side. In these classes, he'd never advance.

I'm not a fan of lap time cut offs, because with the different power bikes, it's not a great measure of rider skill. At least now, the rider of a small bike has the option of NOT racing with 1000cc bikes. Your proposal forces all novice riders into the same class regardless of bike (I think).

Eric
    I totally agree with this. Why allow a 1000cc to be a dominator in all classes? Many new riders start on smaller bikes which I think is the best way to begin racing. If you class all novices together regardless of bike size, it might send the wrong message.
    Casey D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12