Quote Originally Posted by cakake
The problem I see with this rule is that it encourages new riders to buy a 1000cc bike because of the impression that it'll be faster around the race track, and therefore an easier way to move up the ranks.

That, and it really penalizes riders on smaller bikes, like an SV or 125. Scott's actually a great example, I remember watching him ride the wheels off his FZR400 at Pueblo, only to be eaten alive down the front straight. He was riding *much* better than half the novice grid, but since he was on a low horsepower bike, his lap times were on the high side. In these classes, he'd never advance.

I'm not a fan of lap time cut offs, because with the different power bikes, it's not a great measure of rider skill. At least now, the rider of a small bike has the option of NOT racing with 1000cc bikes. Your proposal forces all novice riders into the same class regardless of bike (I think).

Eric
I totally agree with this. Why allow a 1000cc to be a dominator in all classes? Many new riders start on smaller bikes which I think is the best way to begin racing. If you class all novices together regardless of bike size, it might send the wrong message.