Thread: Help a newb choose a bike

Junior Member Novice

Help a newb choose a bike

I just got into track riding this year and am pretty much addicted. I'm currently riding a naked standard bike (Suzuki Bandit 1200), but I think I want a race/track bike. My tentative plan is to do track days next season and race the season after that.

My budget is from $3,000 to $6,000. For the low end, I get to keep my Bandit for street riding. The high end requires selling it.

What to buy?

For reference, the Bandit is modded up to about 110hp and 85 ftlbs of torque, and I generally outrun 600cc sportbikes on the straights and out of the corners. (Note these 600's are being ridden by novices like myself) I like the power.

First question: 600, 750, or liter bike?

Second question: How old is too old?

Third: I hate carb's. Should I even consider a non-fuel injected bike?

Fourth: Is there a general brand preference?

Last: Is there some standard "best" first race bike that most people agree on? For example, I've heard lots of good thing about fuel injected R6's.

I know squat about this stuff, so any advice from you fast guys would be really appreciated.

Senior Member Amateur

new bike

grubs zx6 or cory in salt lake r6 both are set up and good bikes for around 5k corys on usba forum grubs on hear :mrgreen:

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm selling a bike... this is a great starter bike. Very low miles, all stock motor. I have everything you need to get started.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=9293
    Sponsor: Visa Credit Card @ 11.9% APR! AWESOME!

Senior Member Amateur

Re: new bike

Quote Originally Posted by snay
    grubs zx6 or cory in salt lake r6 both are set up and good bikes for around 5k corys on usba forum grubs on hear :mrgreen:
    Here is the link to my bike on the USBA forum. Thanks for thinking of me, Mr. Nay.

http://utahsba.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11987

Senior Member Expert
    Shawn thanks for the plug but I am no longer selling the bike! You get to deal with the ZX6R for another year!!! :twisted:

Tim, there are some nicely equiped bikes for right around that price range. I would def. go with something that has fuel injection. I would say shoot for an 04 and up.

As for brand wise most anything that is a year or too old will be easy to find used parts for.

Senior Member Amateur

new bike

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6
    Shawn thanks for the plug but I am no longer selling the bike! You get to deal with the ZX6R for another year!!! :twisted:

Tim, there are some nicely equiped bikes for right around that price range. I would def. go with something that has fuel injection. I would say shoot for an 04 and up.

As for brand wise most anything that is a year or too old will be easy to find used parts for.
    BS i got you a zx250 that's what the plan is k!!!

Senior Member Expert

Re: Help a newb choose a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K
    I just got into track riding this year and am pretty much addicted. I'm currently riding a naked standard bike (Suzuki Bandit 1200), but I think I want a race/track bike. My tentative plan is to do track days next season and race the season after that.

My budget is from $3,000 to $6,000. For the low end, I get to keep my Bandit for street riding. The high end requires selling it.

What to buy?

For reference, the Bandit is modded up to about 110hp and 85 ftlbs of torque, and I generally outrun 600cc sportbikes on the straights and out of the corners. (Note these 600's are being ridden by novices like myself) I like the power.

First question: 600, 750, or liter bike?

Second question: How old is too old?

Third: I hate carb's. Should I even consider a non-fuel injected bike?

Fourth: Is there a general brand preference?

Last: Is there some standard "best" first race bike that most people agree on? For example, I've heard lots of good thing about fuel injected R6's.

I know squat about this stuff, so any advice from you fast guys would be really appreciated.
    Hey Tim, I believe I helped you at the last Chicane day right?

First: get a 600cc bike. it will teach you to learn corner speed and late braking, rather then relying on power. Also, once you start racing you will have more options on what classes, etc.

Second: like Grubbs said, try and stay around 03 or newer. Most models of those years will be fuel injected, and have alot more of the advanced technology that lack in older sportbikes. I personally started on a 99 R6 and believe it helped make me the rider I am today.

Third: carbs can be a pain to mantain and tune if you dont have a shop supporting you. I had Bart at Faster set up my carbed 99 R6 and he did an amazing job. However, that will be the last non-injected bike I ever race lol. So, get fuel injected if at all possible. (I know that contradicts the idea of a 99 R6 lol)

Fourth: Yamaha FTW!!! I'm biased toward Yamaha's for a couple reasons. Its what I started on, its what I know, and they are VERY common. I feel they are very reliable bikes and easy to maintain with TONS of available parts, not only aftermarket but at the track. When 4 of 5 riders are on a yamaha, good chance someone has the part you are looking for.

Last: Its really going to be a matter of opinion on that one. Some people think the SV 650's are great learning bikes as they teach "you" to learn how to be fast. I personally think anything in the 600cc range is a good place to start.
    Casey D

Senior Member Expert
    You might check on something like SVrider.com. I'm biased, of course, but the smaller twins are pretty inexpensive to run, unless your name is Shannon M.

You're class eligible for nearly everything, and the cost to get in won't have you working that fifth job to pay for it. As you get faster, you'll go through tires more rapidly, but that's the same for anything.

Once you've got carbs dialed in, the aren't really a big deal(for any bike, 600 inline, twin, etc), so don't let that get in your way. I bought a very nice '98 600GSXR a few years back for a great price, and learned a lot for very little down, so keep your eyes open, as well as your brain. As long as you don't feel the need to win RORO on your first practice session, you can get a great learner bike. There are even a couple "track" bikes around. Older, slower, MUCH cheaper.! It just depends on how much you want to put in money wise until you get up to speed.

Good luck with it. Hope to see you out there.
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Amateur

new bike

I have seen 05 bikes on W.E.R.A go for under 3500.00 that will give you some$$ to set up your pit if your working with 5k good luck the next 2or3 months will be a good time to buy

Junior Member Novice
    Thanks for all the good advice so far. In light of it all, I think I'll aim for a 600 with preference given to an R6.

I think I've also decided to keep my Bandit for street riding (what would I do once the season is over?) so now my budget is more like $3,000. It appears that will rule out a newer bike with fuel injection.

My thinking is to learn to ride on something cheap, then spend real money for the 2011 season if racing really does come to pass.

Extra thanks to Casey for the help last Sunday. The form critiques were excellent and really helped me make the decision to move into a sport bike.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    With carbureted 4 stroke bikes, once you set it - you can forget it... It's not like with a two-stroke where you're constantly chasing jetting based on temp, humidity, altitude, etc... believe me, this I know intimately!

Once you set a 4-stroke up, you pretty much don't change the jetting as long as you're within 1000' plus or minus in elevation. Now you can't get all fancy with a power commander and different "mapping" and all that with a carbureted bike - but for track days and maybe your first race bike a carbureted bike isn't really a bad choice if it's set up properly. Even if it isn't set up right from the get-go, for about $100 you can have it dyno'ed and jetted - and then you just ride it...

Fuel injection - baaaaah! who needs it??!! :lol:

Now if only they made fuel injection for my TZ 250's.... hmmmmm :shock:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks for all the good advice so far. In light of it all, I think I'll aim for a 600 with preference given to an R6.

I think I've also decided to keep my Bandit for street riding (what would I do once the season is over?) so now my budget is more like $3,000. It appears that will rule out a newer bike with fuel injection.

My thinking is to learn to ride on something cheap, then spend real money for the 2011 season if racing really does come to pass.

Extra thanks to Casey for the help last Sunday. The form critiques were excellent and really helped me make the decision to move into a sport bike.
    $3500 and you've got yourself an 04' ZX6RR.

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumBlend

The extra $500 doesn't sound like much until you don't have an extra $500. Sadly, $3K is at the very top of my budget. Owning a cabinet shop in this economy is not for the faint of heart, or those with expensive taste in motorcycles!

well I have a cbr 1000rr that I might be able to work something out on.....lemme know!
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE A
    well I have a cbr 1000rr that I might be able to work something out on.....lemme know!
    For some reason, I can't PM you. I'm open to anything still, so let me know what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    they do, we just can't afford it :x
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    On an orbital or rotary it makes sense, but not on a reed valve.

Ah, how I do love the smell of thy twofiddies burning castor oil in the morning...
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant

Ah, how I do love the smell of thy twofiddies burning castor oil in the morning...
    unfortunately a747 is no more, only remaining stock.

ah how i love a good thread jack
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert

They say the same shit every year.

And every year I could buy it by the case!

(I burn it as incense around the house btw...)
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert

dab a little behind your ears as well?
    Ben Fox- http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._Taimotive.gif
    "I'd rather be quick than fast"~Me
    MRA #95
    2006/2007 MRA VP of Rules and Tech
    2008 ROR #10
    http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/images/logo.gif
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
    (719) 570-9595

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumBlend

The extra $500 doesn't sound like much until you don't have an extra $500. Sadly, $3K is at the very top of my budget. Owning a cabinet shop in this economy is not for the faint of heart, or those with expensive taste in motorcycles!
    I can tell you right now (and I'm sure most would agree) that pinching pennies to buy a busted up bike is NOT a good idea. Sell some blood, sell some plasma, sell some old crap around the house. Try and get the best bang for your buck. If the difference between an 01' F4i with 12,000 miles and an 04'+ ZX6, R6 or 600RR with relatively low miles is somewhere in the $1k or less range it's EXTREMELY worth it to save those pennies and upgrade.

If you shop around and find a bike for $3k that offers everything a bike would for around $4k then you are getting your best bang for your buck. But if spending an extra $500 to get a bike that will give you ZERO headaches, and is also very common... I think you should go that route. Especially as a beginner.

Just my 2 cents.

i don't like incense but i would make an exception for that. i always thought someone make a ton of money on making a cologne that smelled like premix or race fuel.
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE A
    Do not buy this tool bags bike, it has a ton of little "A's" all over it :P
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)