I'm of the thought that the reason we've had to cancel the PPIR rounds is that much like in the past when everyone raised there hands wanting the real endurance race and then neglected to signup was much the same as the enthusiasm shown for the 11 race season. When reality set in and finances were looked at people faced the cold hard reality that they couldn't afford it.
Regardless, yes racing ain't cheap and yes some of us throw what we can afford to do it and being older and somewhat sucessful at what I do I throw more than many.
I've been of the thought that a spec class using SV 650's with minimum mods allowed would create a affordable class where talent would rule. Yet what we've seen here is everyone starting out on 600's, crashing and not being able to afford to fix it or being hurt (how many have quit this year alone for that reason?) because they were caught out by the power of the newer 600's.
In my opinion and others who have raced almost through half the pack in Endurance is that a SV, EX or another lightweight bike is every bit as fun as a 600 as long as your racing. It teaches to have higher corner speeds, brake later and get the most of the power available and to turn towards the chassis and suspension for quicker laptimes not the throttle.