I have been following this and the best point I have seen in the whole discussion is:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
... personally I don't think we're in an "economic storm" that we need to get through - but we're in a new financial reality. We need to size the MRA to that reality (the company I work for has already done this quite drastically).
Unfortunately there are not a lot of costs you have control over, the board has already adjusted what they can - pay (less staff, pay cuts for the board) and reduce prize payout. Nothing else is really controllable under the current race weekend format.

Under the current setup we need 120+ racers at a weekend to break even. One idea I have not seen brought up is to cut the season to maybe 7 races with 3 weeks between the races. This gives racers a better shot at making every weekend, not just choosing which ones you can afford. Having 3 weeks between races makes it easier on the family life, plus you have more time to fix if needed.

I really like the idea of going to a 1 day event, with the fact Tony gave of you have to rent the facility for the weekend I could see the possibility of working together with Chicane. Scott would run Saturday as a normal Chicane day, no ideas of turning his people into racers but he could benefit from racers who want more practice signing up for his event. Aside from splitting the track rental, the MRA would save by having one day of insurance, ambulance and corner workers. There also could be more entries from people who can only race Sunday.

Analyzing that change - reduced costs, increased revenue from sprint signups and reduced revenue from cancelling endurance brings me to my final point. All this discussion and idea input is very valuable but in the end that is what you elect a board for. Analyze the situation and make the appropriate decisions.