Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dumb question of the day for "racers"

Senior Member Expert

dumb question of the day for "racers"

I am curious about our declining grids. In gross terms, there are largely too groups of "racers" who have raced with the MRA over the years and who may frequent this board:

Those who have raced for years and those are new to the sport.

We have historically had a rate of ~30% turnover year to year; meaning 30% of the people who raced the previous year did not show up the next year. This has been this way for the last 8 or so years I have been tracking the racer data, but this year is historically the worst I have seen.

So, I am curious:

If you are a long time MRA racer who has not been able to race much this year, why not?

And, if you are new to the MRA (say, less than 2 years membership or seasons), and you have not been able to race as much this year as you would have liked, why not?

$$$? Time? Injury? Number of events in this season? Bike prep seems too obtuse and/or difficult? Dog ran off? Wife ran off (and took dog)? "No Kids on Wheels in Pits" rule cost you too much in TBagger tickets? You were visited by the Green Fairy and couldn't find your way back to your pits?

I am curious, and am especially curious what the opinions are of long time members not racing this season (Sexy Ben? TBagger?) as well as new racers who have never competed with the MRA until this season.

-dave
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Amateur
    I will post for Dave since he hasn't been on for awhile and he's out of town.

Dave is not racing this year (after being a racer for 4 or 5 years???) plain and simply because of money. Seriously, that is it. We didn't have the money. We bought a house last year, we lost a roommate. We just can't afford it. If he raced and something happened that was going to cost us largely financially, we would be screwed, so he took this season off in the hopes of coming back soon. We miss everyone so much. But yeah, money is our issue. :roll:
    **2004 CRF250X**
    Lets get dirrrrrrrrrty!
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty
    Sexiest Pit Crew Mamacita to #33

Senior Member Expert
    $$$ and working most of the weekends
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

dave, are you looking for an answer like "i can't get a tall enough front sprocket for my dirt bike" when any ol angle grinder would fix the problem

:twisted:

in all seriousness, seems most of the folks who raced last year and aren't this year all seem to say that money is the issue. they all seem to still have some hobby money, but not enough to do a whole season
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Amateur
    i had all the money and vacation time set aside at the start of this year to do most of the races this season.

then at the start of the very first NOV gto race this year i got in a wreck.
    all the money i had for tires, gas, travel expenses, etc went to buying a new engine and all the other crap that broke in that wreck.

i have almost all the parts to get the bike going again, but most likely wont have enough money to race it this season.
    '13 BMW S1000RR
    '06 GSXR 750 #686. Sold

Senior Member Expert
    Don't get me wrong -- money is always a huge issue for everyone every year.

It just seems like this year is the "perfect storm" and is effecting most everyone more than it has in years previous and I am curious why. Racers are generally a pretty crafty bunch and do whatever it takes to make the grid.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    dave, are you looking for an answer like "i can't get a tall enough front sprocket for my dirt bike" when any ol angle grinder would fix the problem
    btw: I am on crutches right now, but you just wait...When I get off them your bumble-bee-ass is all mine in Colorado Class. :shock:

:lol: :lol:

I fall down go boom. But I got back on it as soon as I could get the boot and glove on!
    carl
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    btw: I am on crutches right now, but you just wait...When I get off them your bumble-bee-ass is all mine in Colorado Class. :shock:

:lol: :lol:
    you and your damned feet. :lol:
    RS 125
    TZ 250

glenngsxr
    My not racing this year has been kind of a mix of sorts. Just bought a house and got married. Got in that damn wreck in September and my health is still not the same. Also, seems like I have had issue after issue with bikes (I take great care of them too). Overall, I would say it was the bike issues. I am really burned out on buying parts over and over. Glenn #62

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Unexpected Back Surgery in January, still not medically cleared

Out-of-Pocket co-pays over $6000 - shoulda read the fine print!

I got's no money to race :cry:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Dave - wanna turn this into a poll with several semi-generic options like we did when we did the mailer with the memberhips in 2008?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Dave - wanna turn this into a poll with several semi-generic options like we did when we did the mailer with the memberhips in 2008?
    yeah -- that was a good mailer you did, and maybe a poll would be a good thing. From the looks of it though, I am guessing $$ is going to be the number one reason like always...

I am just struck by how perfect-of-a-storm this is to lead to such drastic downturns.

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    I am just struck by how perfect-of-a-storm this is to lead to such drastic downturns.
    Family medical bills and the loss of my son in a motorcycle accident did it for me. Can't seem to get back on two wheels. I was there every weekend whether I could afford it or not before and ran 4 classes each weekend. Now other things are more important.

As far as the economic situation ... I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think the storm is over. :cry:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by racer316
    Family medical bills and the loss of my son in a motorcycle accident did it for me. Can't seem to get back on two wheels. I was there every weekend whether I could afford it or not before and ran 4 classes each weekend. Now other things are more important.
    I am so sorry for your loss.

And I agree 100% -- many other things are indeed more important. Racer's tend not to have good life perspective in this regards and that is a shame.

Senior Member Expert
    I've been racing since 2001 - and have only really put one full season together (in 06).

Early on $$ was the primary driver - as I'm not willing to race on credit. Crashes affected the $$ side too in those years.

Now $$ is less of a concern, but schedule has been more of my issue lately - with one or 2 critical conflicts (family weddings, etc.) happening this year and last preventing a full season. Once the full season is out the window I've tended to be a bit less committed on the rest of the season, since I'm not in any hunt for overall season points. I end up making race by race value decisions.

I had planned to do a full season this year - but have a family conflict for race #9. Once that happened I rearranged my schedule to race less b/c there were sacrifices made to make the full season (racing on my wife's birthday, spending our Anniversary in Hastings, etc.) that were no longer worth making.

I'm still hoping to pull together a full season next year - only have my sister's wedding next august to work around #-o

I don't know how some of you guys do it year after year - impressive!

Senior Member Amateur
    Indirectly for me, money. The plus side is my healthy cash cushion. The negative side is my fear of job loss, with a potential negative effect on said cushion. I'd hate to race more now, only to post "bike for sale" later.

I race about 50%, same as last year.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Senior Member Expert
    I have a few reasons for not racing after 2 seasons with the MRA. One, obviously was money and I wanted to buy a ring for my, now, fiance. The pay from my job at the time made it a one or the other situation. Second, we are buying a house in October to reep the benefits of the $8K refund so we are saving for a down payment. Lastly, I am starting the police academy next week and there is no way I am going risk my new career because I crashed, broke my arm, and now I can't shoot a gun so I get kicked out....

Member Novice

$

still no full time job, and temping at $12/hr doesn't cover the necessities, much less hobbies. Fred's biz is down 60%. As a result of no full time jobs, no comprehensive insurance (can't afford full coverage, we at least know Fred's insurance is good through July, but who knows after that...) and the fine print in the major medical saying it won't cover extreme activities - and motorcycle racing is specifically listed.

too much of a risk with that in mind.

sometimes we just have to step back and pick and choose, and unfortunately that's what we are looking at for the near future anyway.

Teri

Member Amateur
    This is my second year with the MRA. I skipped the last HPR round because the endurance race got canceled. Since I only do Nov-O and HW Endurance, it wasn't worth it to me to come out for one sprint race. I missed the last PMP round because of a foot injury.

I race for fun, not to chase championships and I decided not to go to MPH because it's a long drive and on a holiday weekend. I simply wanted to do other things this year. Money wasn't a primary consideration but it did factor in.

Dirk

Well...

Lets see,

THE BEST season of my short 6 year career GOES POOF!
    Said "Cause" of this "POOF" $3000+
    Losing left Pinky $$ WHO knows I'm afraid to find out.
    Spending weekends with my best friend and our famlies, drinking, bench racing, MORE drinking, ect...ect....ect $$PRICELESS

So, If GOD is willing and if some miracles happen. I will be back out there racing... Nine fingers and all!!
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    For me, money and time ran out (along with the bike I was graciously being allowed to race for a season getting sold). Was planning to come back for a weekend or two at the end of the season, but given the current situation I'm trying to get it together in time for the 25th, despite it really not being a good time to do it (kid could literally pop out at the track), cause I have put a lot into this club and want it to exist 3 months from now.

I know some other folks are considering or doing the same thing as well, i.e. realizing that we need racers now (even if it's a temporary boost) if we're to have an MRA to race with in the future.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    Now Ray-Ray...you know you've got a bike to ride, though the Triple Niner is cursed. It's no Ducati, but it works (at least it did in the spring) and needs the old gas blown out of it.

So, take away the bike excuse, add 9 good fingers and you're racing again.
    Tom
    MRA #416

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    If you do a poll please be sure to include "All of the Above" as the last choice. It will simplify things for some of us.

Member Amateur
    I started racing in '04, and have raced every season since, with the minimum being two events, and the max being 5 events (last year). I was going to make it six events this year, but then PPIR got cancelled, so it looks like it'll be 4. While racing is the most exhilirating and fun activity I do, it is definitely not my top priority. In a nutshell, the infrequency of my appearance on the grid boils down to $, time, and timing, but for me, this year is no different than any other year.
    Kurt Cecil
    MRA #914
    CSBA #720

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast