Quote Originally Posted by cu260r6
..but I am all set to do the next three HPR races if they happen.
Good to hear!
Gridding up at the back each race isn't helping entice many racers back either.
We may want to look at qualifying for grid spots again for next year. I know you could get farther up if we did that.
However, making racing more competitive for everyone by eliminating the time necessary to build and maintain a competitive bike and increasing the practice time or options available is within the MRA's control.
It is, kind of, if by "within the MRA's control" you mean the entire club. The rules are set by the members wishing to participate in the rule change process. The practice time is a schedule balance against holding more races.
Increasing revenue by attracting new riders is the only other option.
I totally agree.
The MRA does appear to some like a very closed group that takes a long time to break into. I met some great people racing, but I always felt like I was treated as an outsider by some.
That was because of your mohak helmet. :wink:
I came to to the track to go as fast as I could on the bike alone, but I became very tired of being treated by some slow, uptight people as if I was some punk miscreant because I didn't fit their mold or have all their resources.
Hmm... I'm starting to envision a new race class .. "punk/miscreant" - nominees - Charles, Hammer, Turtle, Brownie, .. am I getting close?
Snail mailings are so 1900's Why not put everything online, or even use an email list? How much does printing a rulebook, license app, and ballot and sending them to every rider cost? Also, the banquet seems like an expendable cost in these economic times, although is this is self sufficient with ticket sales?
People beat up the MRA board if we change something at the last minute and "only" announce it electronically. The rulebook, licenses, and most of the other stuff is self-funding - notice the advertisements in the rulebook (thanks Nude & Ricky). There are also some things we're required to do by the by-laws - like notification of an annual meeting.

The banquet is definitely at risk. It *can* fund itself if we have sufficient attendence. It's usually financially edgy. I'm thinking this year might be an outdoor pot-luck @ HPR. Bring your coat.

... on second thought .. with all the damn huge RV's in the club, maybe we make it a "progressive dinner" type thing where each RV'er makes something and people wander between them to get stuff to eat.