Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 PR Ideas - Let's get it rolling

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    The one asset the MRA has over these two events is the ability to generate lap times for their riders. The MRA (in cooperation with these originations) could show up and rent out transponders for something like $20.00 and in return provide a printed readout of the persons lap times. If a rider already has a transponder, charge them $5.00 for the service.
    This is a great idea, but the transponder system is an extremely expensive and fragile piece of equipment. That would be a huge commitment to ask of our Transponder King who takes care of this equipment and already shows up to every race.

How about instead, racers who are at these days can take a street guy under his wing and loan him his lap timer? That would be a more personal approach and spreads out the responsibility to more of us.
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriRomaneschi
    I know that I'm new here guys, but logic makes me ask..why are these kinds of efforts only coming as a matter of urgency? Why not all year long. No business can take anything for granted these days. Complacency fails every time.
    When I tried to rally the troops to continue and expand upon our PR efforts from last year I got a bunch of "no can dos" and a couple of "I can help deliver stuff." That left me. And at the time I was also trying to get all the trophy sponsors together for the season. I'm a good organizer but need the many talents of the members of the club to make it happen! This includes people who have media and printing contacts, design skills, time to help deliver stuff and go to Meet and Greets, and most importantly, dedication to follow through.

Believe me that doesn’t happen. I have asked around several times and ended up buying my own. If the service was offered I know you would have a market for it.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by auzzy
    I have started organizing a "ride" from Pueblo to HPR on the 26th. Started making flyers to hand out and spread the word. I will also contact Kilo94.3 today and see what else i can come up with. :idea:
    Way to go, Austin!
    Please remember that the MRA cannot be the promoter of this event for liability issues. Good Luck with Kilo! Keep us posted.

Senior Member Expert
    Believe me that doesn’t happen. I have asked around several times and ended up buying my own. If the service was offered I know you would have a market for it.
    I certainly believe you and maybe because of this post and our current situation, guys will step up. But if our transponder system were to get damaged and cost likely in the thousands to repair, then we've created a worse situation.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Hey JJB,

Just a reminder that we WILL be doing a mailing to all our racers - including those who are licensed and have not yet come out to race this year - which should help in the 200 vs 10 issue.

It will be far "easier" to recruit new spectators vs. new racers at this point in the season - which I think is why so much effort is being put towards that. Few if any will "convert" to racers this season, but may plant the seed for next year.

I don't know how someone with no racebike or race school cert in their posession would make it on the track yet this year... not impossible, but improbable for sure.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    DONNA - can you put someone on this? Sounds like a good opportunity, but we need some Peeps from the Springs / Pueblo to show up and hand out flyers, coupons, whatever... I'll get you Erik's contact info when you get a lead on this.

From Erik Peat - Racer...

Well, things have gone a little crazy huh? I don't have a way to write on the forum and I just can't make it to the meeting tomorrow-you dang Denver guys but I spoke with Donna a while back and wanted to mention this again. Apex Sports is having an open house on July 18th and we would love to have as many of the MRA show up as possible.

It seems over the past couple of years when I have requested things like this, nobody shows up. I think we all need to look at the fact that Colorado Springs has a lot of military guys with money and ego's who would love to come around and bench race. If we had even a few guys there to talk racing, where to come watch, and how to get licensed, I think it could make a difference. I literally talk to handfuls of guys every week about racing and I cannot tell you how many of them have already been to the races this year. I can tell you that on a normal race day I will have 10 to 15 customers come by and eat lunch at our pit, on top of the normal 5 to 10 guys that come down and hang out with me and my family. We typically take about $100 worth food to each race and it is mostly always gone by the end of the day. All of that just from talking to a few guys at work! Imagine what a display of race equipment and some guys willing to spend a few hours would draw.

Apex is a big shop and this open house literally brings hundreds of people in the doors on that day. I unfortunately have a job to do that will prevent me from being out there much but I will help out with all I can. Apex is being very generous by saying we can do this and I think it would be pretty huge for our club to give it a shot!

So, if you could mention it at the meeting for me, I would appreciate it. I will even buy everyone's lunch if they would just show up! I have always wanted to get more people involved from the Spring's area and we need some help from you Denver guys.

If you get a chance, give me a call. My cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will give you some particulars.

Thanks Tony!! You guys all do a great job! My family and I will help in any way we can just let me know.

Erik Peat

Tony if you could let Erik Know that I am willing to go down there with MRA flyers and programs and my race bike for his open house!

If you could PM Me his number so I can get some info I will get on it.

Senior Member Amateur
    Is there 1 bike night coming up that ISN'T a Wed that the MRA can do a big blow out? I mean, bring your trailers, bring your bikes, setup a booth/small table with the MRA banner, maybe a small video playing with highlights from a relatively recent season @ the booth. I'm talking take over the parking lot and have a line of race bikes setup. Give it a "pits"-eque feel....
    Sponsor: Visa Credit Card @ 11.9% APR! AWESOME!

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumBlend
    Is there 1 bike night coming up that ISN'T a Wed that the MRA can do a big blow out? I mean, bring your trailers, bring your bikes, setup a booth/small table with the MRA banner, maybe a small video playing with highlights from a relatively recent season @ the booth. I'm talking take over the parking lot and have a line of race bikes setup. Give it a "pits"-eque feel....
    It is already in the works. More info to come.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by racedk6
    Tony if you could let Erik Know that I am willing to go down there with MRA flyers and programs and my race bike for his open house!

If you could PM Me his number so I can get some info I will get on it.
    I'm organizing all the volunteer stuff on the "What We Need" post http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8984
    Please, everyone, post up there your ability to help out on the various ventures and events!

Also, if you have something in works or would like to do, pleased post up on the "In the Works" post http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8982
    That'll help us to stay organized and better round up volunteers.

Thanks!

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    Let me know, b/c every Wed night @ the Hamburger Stand by my house there is a good size classic car show. There is also a tuner car show @ the Sonic near my house on Sunday nights. I would personally go for the Sunday night Tuner Night @ Sonic, young kids with money to blow and usually bikes show up. If you can't find a venue Ugly let me know, we can definitely get something rolling in my neck of the woods.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Cheetah 612
    I certainly believe you and maybe because of this post and our current situation, guys will step up. But if our transponder system were to get damaged and cost likely in the thousands to repair, then we've created a worse situation.
    I am, of course, under the direction of the board but I agree the liability to the equipment is greater than revenues generated by renting them at $20. If only one is lost, broken, or taken and irretrievable, all of the rental funds generated from the event won't amount to 1/3 of the cost of replacing the one.

It has also been my experience over nearly the past four years that regardless of how many transponders are rented out, it has been far less than 10% of the time that all of the transponders have been returned on time. That means a greater than 90% chance of breakage or having to track someone down after any given event.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing

Let me know, b/c every Wed night @ the Hamburger Stand by my house there is a good size classic car show. There is also a tuner car show @ the Sonic near my house on Sunday nights. I would personally go for the Sunday night Tuner Night @ Sonic, young kids with money to blow and usually bikes show up. If you can't find a venue Ugly let me know, we can definitely get something rolling in my neck of the woods.
    It's already been rolling for awhile.... 8)

Senior Member Expert Vanmar Racing's Avatar
    Last Night I posted up the new MRA Flyer on
    the Vanmar Racing Facebook
    the MRA Facebook
    the Tammy Facebook
    and two places on Craigslist

I also sent it to a bunch of people to put on their websites.

If anybody else wants it please drop me a line at
    vanmarracing@ mindspring.com
    and I will send it to you.
    Tammy at Vanmar Racing
    303-944-0334
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    Mark Schellinger, Instructor for Yamaha Champions Riding School- Ride Like A Champion!
    Vanmar Racing

Member Amateur
    I've got the posters posted all over work (lots of bikers here) and have asked the British Motorcycling club that my dad is a part of, to distribute Tammy's pdf file throughout their e-mail lists.
    '07 APRILIA RSVR
    '07 HONDA
    KomodoGear
    RhinoMoto
    Galfer

Member Novice

flyers

Flyers are up at Colorado Powersports, Victory (on 104th) and at TFOG. I left them info on pointing people to the web site to print out more 2fers.
    Teri

Invited everyone on my list this side of the pond, to the event on Facebook.
    Can they print out the 2 for 1 coupons there?

Senior Member Amateur
    My 2 cents....

1. MRA Presence at Commercial Race Schools
    I've been to 3 Pridmore STAR schools in Colorado over the years and never was "MRA" mentioned.
    From a student's perspective, it would have been beneficial to have an MRA
    representative give a 15 - 20 minute presentation on "going to the next level", what it's all about, how to get started, when and where the races are, etc.
    I'm pretty sure Jason P. would approve carving out 15 minutes over lunch, etc. for this purpose.
    I know Ricky O promotes the MRA at his schools, but what about the others, GO4IT, etc.?
    Same principle, different time line for ABATE and the other learner schools and safety classes.

2. Spectator Hospitality Booth
    It seems to me that when spectators do show up at races, we kind of ignore them.
    Most of them probably have little idea what's going on, who the top racers are, what's being contested, etc.
    A booth staffed with friendly, “customer facing”, knowledgeable people, complete with refreshments, MRA t-shirts and paraphernalia (for sale, of course)
    would go a long way toward forming a bond between spectators and the MRA, motivating people to come back, and helping to promote the MRA in general.

As for me, I will be at the APEX open house with both my race bikes on July 18.
    However, FYI, I won’t be on the grid for the rest of the season due to emergency stomach surgery performed July 3.

I am running out of flyers, I have put them up around lowe's home depo's chipotle's, etc., streetbikers handlebars, reunion dia area corkboards @ gas stations, my job, but I need more....is there any more? I need some for 303CYCLE, & SUPERTUNE!!!
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE A
    I am running out of flyers, I have put them up around lowe's home depo's chipotle's, etc., streetbikers handlebars, reunion dia area corkboards @ gas stations, my job, but I need more....is there any more? I need some for 303CYCLE, & SUPERTUNE!!!
    Members paid for the first batch of flyers. I can provide the higher resolution version for printing if you want to print some off yourself. I would also suggest not plastering the entire city with them. I dont how much impact putting them in home depots and lowes is going to help. They need to be present in every bike shop in the front range and also bars/restaurants or other establishments where riders frequent. Nothing wrong with attracting some spectators that are completely foreign to motorcycles, but as has been indicited previously spectators are going to have minimal impact on revenue so I believe the longer term goal here is increase awareness of the MRA and try to attract new racers by first getting them out to the track.

right! anything helps though, I think no matter what, it's about the cheapest family event in denver period! mini golf, go carts, comedy club, it's all more that attending an MRa race, so if we did get 400-500 people that regularly attended no harm ...... NEW FANS / NEW BLOOD / introduce more newbs to motorcycling period, plus alot is already being done, I havent dented what most of everyone else are getting done, from the meeting, NICE JOB GUYS!
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Senior Member Amateur
    Who does our web stuff? We need something added to these forums

Senior Member Expert
    Who does our web stuff? We need something added to these forums
    Dave Gallant.
    Thanks for the idea, Shaun! I've posted your idea in the board only area.

Senior Member Expert Vanmar Racing's Avatar
    I already sent the High Res to Jim Brewer and Tony to give to Dave Gallant. Do you know if that happened?
    We talked at the meeting about adding a click and print to the MRA webpage.
    Tammy at Vanmar Racing
    303-944-0334
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    Mark Schellinger, Instructor for Yamaha Champions Riding School- Ride Like A Champion!
    Vanmar Racing

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanmar Racing
    I already sent the High Res to Jim Brewer and Tony to give to Dave Gallant. Do you know if that happened?
    sent just now .. I had some email outbox constipation

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast