Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 PR Ideas - Let's get it rolling

Senior Member Amateur
    If we can get the crowds up we can sell booth space to businesses as well. For example I work for University of Phoenix. University of Phoenix would love to come set up a booth at the race track and possibly pay maybe a hundred bucks for the ability to do so.

What I mean is once the crowds get large enough, we can invite vendors to come out and set up booths to push products or services for a fee. I don't know how this will affect rider sponsorship or anything.

Neil

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    There have been a gazillion attempts, successes and failures of PR for the MRA over the years. Here's a brief summary of what I've found.

1) Lots of people are willing to email/post ideas. Very VERY VERY few are willing to follow through with action.

2) If the PR action costs time or money, it's important to figure out a) what you want to accomplish, and b) who the target audience is. Do you want more spectators, more racers, more shops sponsoring, more manufacturers involved? Each goal is a different group of people with different interests and is going to need a different PR activity.

3) Whatever the action is we need a way to measure whether it's effective. If we do a 2-for-1 gate coupon, we need to count them and figure out where they came from (newspaper, MRA program, shops, Jim's bike night, etc.)

4) The most difficult part is getting people to commit to doing something and follow through with their committments. (same as #1). The MRA runs off 90% volunteer work, so if you have an idea *you* should implement it and do what you say.

My own preference is going after recruiting more racers and not working so hard on getting more spectators - mostly because of the 20:1 financial return.

Senior Member Expert
    Nice Work, Preemie!
    Still working on the permission stuff.
    Would Brownie's suggestion for organizing the swap meet at the Aug 8-9 races fit a workable time frame for you?

Neil,
    Good idea! If we can start with one or two and work from there, that would be great. Set it up if you can.
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

Senior Member Amateur
    I can work on that for first week in August. At least for my company. It would be good to have some attendance figures. Maybe people with the Bike shop hook ups can have them set up displays and charge em or something.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    There have been a gazillion attempts, successes and failures of PR for the MRA over the years. Here's a brief summary of what I've found.

1) Lots of people are willing to email/post ideas. Very VERY VERY few are willing to follow through with action.

2) If the PR action costs time or money, it's important to figure out a) what you want to accomplish, and b) who the target audience is. Do you want more spectators, more racers, more shops sponsoring, more manufacturers involved? Each goal is a different group of people with different interests and is going to need a different PR activity.

3) Whatever the action is we need a way to measure whether it's effective. If we do a 2-for-1 gate coupon, we need to count them and figure out where they came from (newspaper, MRA program, shops, Jim's bike night, etc.)

4) The most difficult part is getting people to commit to doing something and follow through with their committments. (same as #1). The MRA runs off 90% volunteer work, so if you have an idea *you* should implement it and do what you say.

My own preference is going after recruiting more racers and not working so hard on getting more spectators - mostly because of the 20:1 financial return.
    Jim is exactly correct!
    1) Follow through has been a huge challenge for the PR Committee. We had a few good things going last season, but then lost 90% involvement going into 2009.
    2) Right now I feel like we should take what we can get as far as what we can/want to accomplish based on the talents and contacts of the individuals involved.
    3)Any 2-for-1 gate coupons anyone delivers anywhere needs to be marked on the back with where they went.
    4) Please come up with ideas that you are able to implement and run them through PR Central (me) so I can keep us organized and uphold the image the MRA strives to create and maintain.

I agree that we need to focus more on recruiting racers, yet getting the word out as far as possible through businesses and spectators will spur on the interest of more future racers. In our current financial situation, let's take what we can get. I'm hoping that we can create a new and motivated pool of members who are willing and dedicated to help continue the work we're starting now well into the future!

Senior Member Amateur
    Is there 1 specific person dedicated to ONLY PR/Advertising and DOES NOT have any other duties with the club?
    Sponsor: Visa Credit Card @ 11.9% APR! AWESOME!

Senior Member Expert
    That would be me. I have turned over my trophy duties to Jeff Brown and am now focusing solely on PR.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Cheetah 612
    That would be me. I have turned over my trophy duties to Jeff Brown and am now focusing solely on PR.
    Perfect, that was my concern that whoever took on the PR responsibilities was being overwhelmed with other duties and having to CHOOSE between the 2.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277

Nice work Preemie.

How many riders are on the Team? Just curious......

Maybe try to do a Swap meet for the HPR race weekend following this one? 8)
    Should be 3, but if I saddle up it could be 4. \/

Junior Member Novice

harley guys

if you want harley guys how about some help from lewis and floorwax at the fox,they used to have riders on when the nationals were at ppir

Senior Member Expert
    Do you know Lewis and Floorwax and can set that up?

Member Novice
    Jim I agree with most of what you have said here. Great points. And in any effort, I agree that most like to complain but don't follow through. A few have stepped up to the plate. If I can I will. Can I fix resumes to get you all jobs so you can race? Doubtful, but it's my world.

However, it's your last point I focused on. And your ratio is correct in terms of effort. As I outlined in another post, which I'm sure nobody read, it's a catch 22 in terms of reeling them in spectating, then Chicane track days, then people "supporting" them into this world of racing. But it has to be a consistent effort. Those Chicane track days are a breeding ground for safe, educated, future racers. I'm telling ya'll! And I really hope that is not dismissed by some for the future of this sport in CO.

It's how I was slowly lured in. Course I had a trackful of hotties (men and women) supporting me into the fear. And I'm sure so many others are the same. Although, many are different too I understand.

I am happy to help in any way I can. I'm just too new here to know how I can really contribute, aside from being there and asking for support for all of us.

It's a catch 22. I know that I'm new here guys, but logic makes me ask..why are these kinds of efforts only coming as a matter of urgency? Why not all year long. No business can take anything for granted these days. Complacency fails every time.

These efforts should be kept up year after year, month to month during the racing season. The PR works. I'll do anything I can on my end. Just ask and I'll do it.

TerriR

Member Amateur
    I have another idea. My wife and I have thought about building a float for the upcoming Fiesta Day Parade here in Pueblo that coincides with the Colorado State Fair. As a spectator of this parade for many years, an MRA float would get noticed by thousands who flock to Pueblo for this traditional occasion. We would be more than happy to see this through and attempt to create an image that is receptive to all prospective members.

The parade is scheduled for Sunday, September 6th so this would not directly benefit the club this season, but hopefully generate enough interest and anticipation for next season.

Donna, what do you think? I can call the POC tomorrow for specifics and forward them to you.

Jessie
    Let's try this again.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriRomaneschi
    As I outlined in another post, which I'm sure nobody read, it's a catch 22 in terms of reeling them in spectating, then Chicane track days, then people "supporting" them into this world of racing. But it has to be a consistent effort. Those Chicane track days are a breeding ground for safe, educated, future racers.
    I read your other post and you make good points. It is really my belief that the vast majority of spectators & track riders who eventually become racers get involved though references from friends that already track ride or race. I believe (since I have no statistics) that very few people see and ad in a flyer, go out into their garage wire up their bike and show up at new riders' school.

I know there are exceptions (Adam L. - maybe?) but it seems to me the more we foster the social networking abilites of current racers, the more likely we are to recruit new racers - which is the main goal of the MRA's existence.
    It's how I was slowly lured in. Course I had a trackful of hotties (men and women) supporting me into the fear. And I'm sure so many others are the same.
    Exactly!

..why are these kinds of efforts only coming as a matter of urgency? Why not all year long. No business can take anything for granted these days. Complacency fails every time.
    IMHO, the financial issues didn't come to the forefront until we had the low turnouts and losses from the last 4 rounds. Typically, we have pretty consistent entries through the summer, but this year we really lost participation. Maybe we (the board in general) should have predicted the losses better, but personally I'm not doing much better with my 401K. :?

This is just off the top of my head…

It seems to me the target demographic you are looking for is those riders interested in becoming racers. One place to find them for sure is Chicane Days and HPR Lapping days. If you could get at these riders, you would have good candidates for new racers and at least event spectators.

The one asset the MRA has over these two events is the ability to generate lap times for their riders. The MRA (in cooperation with these originations) could show up and rent out transponders for something like $20.00 and in return provide a printed readout of the persons lap times. If a rider already has a transponder, charge them $5.00 for the service.

This would have two advantages. First, buy charging for the service it generates money to cover the cost of providing the service and possibility of a little more that can be used for PR.

Second, you would have direct access to your target demographic. You could do things like give away with each rental a free ticket to the next MRA race. Hand out literature describing what it would take to go from track days to the starting line of a real race. And so on…

I cannot think of any insurance liabilities off hand, because all you would be doing is providing an independent service to the track day itself. Like the food vendors would be.

Also considering that you guys are now selling transponders for cheap, with the right rental agreement, the potential of someone stealing them would be minimal. You just need them to give you their credit card number and if they walk away with ione, you would have the right to buy a new one.

Senior Member Expert Vanmar Racing's Avatar
    Vanmar Racing will donate $$MONEY$$ for printing costs towards 2 for 1 flyers and cards to promote the MRA to spectators.

Katie and her posse of girls will be handing out flyers for the MRA tonight at BIKE NIGHT at Bostons
    Tammy at Vanmar Racing
    303-944-0334
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    Mark Schellinger, Instructor for Yamaha Champions Riding School- Ride Like A Champion!
    Vanmar Racing

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    DONNA - can you put someone on this? Sounds like a good opportunity, but we need some Peeps from the Springs / Pueblo to show up and hand out flyers, coupons, whatever... I'll get you Erik's contact info when you get a lead on this.

From Erik Peat - Racer...

Well, things have gone a little crazy huh? I don't have a way to write on the forum and I just can't make it to the meeting tomorrow-you dang Denver guys but I spoke with Donna a while back and wanted to mention this again. Apex Sports is having an open house on July 18th and we would love to have as many of the MRA show up as possible.

It seems over the past couple of years when I have requested things like this, nobody shows up. I think we all need to look at the fact that Colorado Springs has a lot of military guys with money and ego's who would love to come around and bench race. If we had even a few guys there to talk racing, where to come watch, and how to get licensed, I think it could make a difference. I literally talk to handfuls of guys every week about racing and I cannot tell you how many of them have already been to the races this year. I can tell you that on a normal race day I will have 10 to 15 customers come by and eat lunch at our pit, on top of the normal 5 to 10 guys that come down and hang out with me and my family. We typically take about $100 worth food to each race and it is mostly always gone by the end of the day. All of that just from talking to a few guys at work! Imagine what a display of race equipment and some guys willing to spend a few hours would draw.

Apex is a big shop and this open house literally brings hundreds of people in the doors on that day. I unfortunately have a job to do that will prevent me from being out there much but I will help out with all I can. Apex is being very generous by saying we can do this and I think it would be pretty huge for our club to give it a shot!

So, if you could mention it at the meeting for me, I would appreciate it. I will even buy everyone's lunch if they would just show up! I have always wanted to get more people involved from the Spring's area and we need some help from you Denver guys.

If you get a chance, give me a call. My cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will give you some particulars.

Thanks Tony!! You guys all do a great job! My family and I will help in any way we can just let me know.

Erik Peat
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert Vanmar Racing's Avatar
    Just talked to Jim wilson and he is having 1000 MRA flyers printed today and some 2 for 1 coupons.

We should have them for tonights meeting and will give them to members to pass out.

Thanks to Joe Logalbo for helping pay for these!
    Tammy at Vanmar Racing
    303-944-0334
    vanmarracing@mindspring.com
    Mark Schellinger, Instructor for Yamaha Champions Riding School- Ride Like A Champion!
    Vanmar Racing

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanmar Racing
    ... will give them to members to pass out.
    I'm willing to pass out as well .. and I'm sure Brownie will, too.

Donna - Fernando Arroyos has contacts at "The Wright Group - Event Services"

If that would be of benefit, please contact Fernando.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Just talked to Jim wilson and he is having 1000 MRA flyers printed today and some 2 for 1 coupons.

We should have them for tonights meeting and will give them to members to pass out.

Tammy, hold the phone if you can on the printing... if the stunt show is a go can we add their logo to the flyer for the 25th?

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumBlend

Tammy, hold the phone if you can on the printing... if the stunt show is a go can we add their logo to the flyer for the 25th?
    There will be another flyer printed for the 22nd Bike Night which will be SPECIFIC to that weekend and the festivities. We're running out of time and tonight is the best time to get flyers in the hands of our members.

Preemie - I need you to call me about the stunt thing please 303-333-4411 x311
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    ... will give them to members to pass out.
    I'm willing to pass out as well .. and I'm sure Brownie will, too.
    I'd be glad to pass them out. 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Member Amateur
    I have started organizing a "ride" from Pueblo to HPR on the 26th. Started making flyers to hand out and spread the word. I will also contact Kilo94.3 today and see what else i can come up with. :idea:
    auzzy

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    I have another idea. My wife and I have thought about building a float for the upcoming Fiesta Day Parade here in Pueblo that coincides with the Colorado State Fair. As a spectator of this parade for many years, an MRA float would get noticed by thousands who flock to Pueblo for this traditional occasion. We would be more than happy to see this through and attempt to create an image that is receptive to all prospective members.

The parade is scheduled for Sunday, September 6th so this would not directly benefit the club this season, but hopefully generate enough interest and anticipation for next season.

Donna, what do you think? I can call the POC tomorrow for specifics and forward them to you.

Jessie
    I would be for that as long as it doesn't cost the MRA anything. We just don't have the money. I'm sure the board would like to see and approve a design before it went into production just to make sure it upholds the image the MRA is trying to create and maintain. Great idea!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast