8) 8) :wink:
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    I have a question:

What is it about PPIR that some of you want to be there so badly?

1- is it just that it is a different track and layout? (only 1 mile long)

2- is it the garages?

3- is it the name/status (Pipe Peak INTERNATIONAL Raceway)?

Not that it will change the current Board's decision...... I'm just curious
    8)
    Garages help, but the main reason I wanted to go is I just like that track. I had alot of fun during a trackday there last year. I wanted to go out and see what it was like to actually race on it. Plus its a good track for spectators so I planned on having alot of family and friends coming to them.

HPR is not the best spectator track it actually sucks IMO for anytype of outside view at racing. But it is a fun ass track to race!!

Senior Member Amateur
    It is good to see lots of people up in arms over this because it means we all care. I have been with the club for a while now and have developed some great friendships from this club. I had to make some changes in my spending this year to compete in a full season. That means I had to give up something else I wanted in order to race. It would be unfortunate if we don't race at MPH, PMP, or PPIR next year and HPR is way better by itself than the other three combined.

What if we didn't have HPR? Right now the board would be stopping the season and maybe the club. We as a club are very fortunate to have a track that we have partial ownership of. How many tracks does the CCS own? Or the USBA? Tracks have come and gone since I have been in the club. Every closed door presents another open door and we can bank on things changing.

Lets all try to have an open mind and support our wonderful organization, let's face it without us there is no club.

Jeff Winter

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by racedk6
    Garages help, but the main reason I wanted to go is I just like that track. I had alot of fun during a trackday there last year. I wanted to go out and see what it was like to actually race on it. Plus its a good track for spectators so I planned on having alot of family and friends coming to them.

HPR is not the best spectator track it actually sucks IMO for anytype of outside view at racing. But it is a fun ass track to race!!
    Very good points here. I think for the best interest of the MRA we need to evaluate spectators and riders. How we can get the most of both.

People like to get new tracks under their belts, especially racing on new tracks. I wonder how many racers would pick a PPIR round over 1 HPR since we have 4 other rounds there.

Please dont think I'm not in support of HPR, however I think its our job to stay afloat AS A CLUB, not making our partial track ownership of HPR the #1 priority.
    Casey D

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    PPIR costs nearly 50% more to rent than HPR, and we wouldn't have gotten to use the garages - which detracts from the "cool factor". We would have to have a significantly better turnout at PPIR than HPR to so much as break even. We always have crappy spectator attendance at PPIR as well.

I've posted before that the "ownership" of HPR is the least of our concerns at this point. We need to race where we can expect to have the best turnout (racers and spectators) with the lowest cost to run the event.

Hastings = Most expensive, horrible racer attendance, no spectators

PPIR = 2nd most expensive, good racer attendance, minimal spectators

HPR = 3rd most expensive, good racer attendance, good spectators

Pueblo = Least expensive, horrible racer attendance, no spectators

HPR or bust baby - literally.

Official Board Announcement to follow later today...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

JohnGarc

Pueblo

I Love Pueblo, its cheap, fun, has the longest straight, and has good ammenities. SPECTATORS? Who cares... Are we not racing for ourselves anway, I don't care if someone comes to watch If only HPR would lower there track days to 1 bill. Whats the big deal? You would certainly have a lot more riders in the club. I just can't justify paying $150 for an HPR lapping day when I could go to Pueblo for $75. But since Pueblo does not do that anymore, I am screwed. I love HPR just wish I could afford Racing... Damn... IMI looks better and better.

John, did you miss the "horrible racer attendance" at Pueblo part? Also, we can sometimes bring in a couple thousand dollars on gate fees - free money for us, so why not?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

John,

What part of $50 for practice in the morning and endurance race in the afternoon is to expensive?
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Senior Member Expert

Re: Pueblo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGarc
    I Love Pueblo, its cheap, fun, has the longest straight, and has good ammenities. SPECTATORS? Who cares... Are we not racing for ourselves anway, I don't care if someone comes to watch If only HPR would lower there track days to 1 bill. Whats the big deal? You would certainly have a lot more riders in the club. I just can't justify paying $150 for an HPR lapping day when I could go to Pueblo for $75. But since Pueblo does not do that anymore, I am screwed. I love HPR just wish I could afford Racing... Damn... IMI looks better and better.
    We do need spectators, for several reasons. Though they don't bring in as much money as the actual racers, a little $$ is better than none. And some people may come watch and enjoy it, go home and tell their friends, and come with 5 people the next time.....And just as Wilson said. A lot of us were spectators before we started racing, getting the "street" guys out there to watch, sets "the bug" in them, next thing you know they too are racing. I am willing to bet that you were a spectator at one time too, whether it be going to AMA Nationals, MRA/Club events, or simply just watching on TV??? Correct me if I am wrong.

As far as Lapping days...... You say "What is the big deal?"
    $150 is cheap for a lapping/track day. The people that put on the events have to pay insurance, pay corner workers, pay for Ambulance...etc... I can tell you first hand that outside of Colorado, I have never been to a track day that was under $195 a day, that includes the services I just listed. Plus you have to travel 500+ miles to get there. We can go on and on about track fees, but we have done this before...... look thru the old forums.

As for Pueblo...... They do still have practice days, they are run by Chicane Track Days.

8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    [quote="
    I've posted before that the "ownership" of HPR is the least of our concerns at this point. We need to race where we can expect to have the best turnout (racers and spectators) with the lowest cost to run the event.

Hastings = Most expensive, horrible racer attendance, no spectators

PPIR = 2nd most expensive, good racer attendance, minimal spectators

HPR = 3rd most expensive, good racer attendance, good spectators

Pueblo = Least expensive, horrible racer attendance, no spectators

HPR or bust baby - literally.

Official Board Announcement to follow later today...[/quote]

Tony, this is very well put. I think the price of each track was a mystery to many of us. There was a thought that HPR was the most expensive. After reading this, it looks like HPR is the way to go. I just hope in the future we don't only race there. Thank you for clarifying this.

Member Novice
    Jeff: Absolutely. Here is what I was thinking yesterday but just didn't post. Guess it may be relevant now.

In focusing on the positive in terms of solutions or ideas for future profit:
    1. Exposure. Getting people to the track to spectate creates a starting point for future racers that is hard to ignore when you get people enthralled/hooked with the track environment.
    2. MRA members, “actively” supporting “bike related” events, or in some other way promoting the MRA. Introductions and conversations create more interest and a feeling of inclusion.
    3. Chicane Track Days. Huge influence on future racers. Scott provides a structured, safe and education-oriented atmosphere in which to get your feet wet and learn in a supportive and hopefully correct way to maximize the track experience for everyone involved. (not just a free-for-all)
    4. An open forum, both online and at meetings, where opinions and suggestions and votes will be listened to and supported if they make sense, no matter how great or small the idea.
    5. People supporting people, and the kindnesses therein, sometimes goes a very, very long way towards future endeavors. “Everybody started somewhere”. Support that idea for the future.
    TerriR

Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos13
    I think for the best interest of the MRA we need to evaluate spectators and riders. How we can get the most of both.
    I agree with Casey. If the sport is to grow and be healthy, it's going to require an effort to get more spectators out there. Businesses that sponsor racers want more people eyeballing their products. The very first thing that people ask me when I approach them about sponsorships is how many people are in attendance. Who cares about spectators? We'd damn well better care about them.

I actually think HPR could be a great venue for spectators and I am hopeful that it will be developed as such. Personally, I think grandstands to the west of the pits would give a great view of the action. The worst by far is MPH.

Ultimately we'd all like to see broad appeal for our sport in the general public but that will take resources and time. We need to start small and work our way up. Who is the obvious "easy" audience for us to target? Sportbike riders. Many of us are active in the sportbike community and we could work via the CSC forums to get those people out to the track. Can we throw them a bone like half-off admission to the next HPR round or something? Jim gets great turnouts at his bi-weekly meets at Boston's Pizza. That would be a great place for the MRA to have a strong presence to recruits fans and even racers.

Maybe we should set up a fund that is used for publicity afforts?

Dirk

I don't think HPR will the end-all for 2010... but again it's up to the members. Hell, we could probably afford to go to Laguna if the entire club showed up. To finish 2009 though, HPR is the logical choice.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    I don't think HPR will the end-all for 2010... but again it's up to the members. Hell, we could probably afford to go to Laguna if the entire club showed up. To finish 2009 though, HPR is the logical choice.
    Thanks Tony, that is what I wanted to hear. I believe Glenn's comment about only racing there in 2010 may have been taken wrong.

Would the board be willing to post the actual costs and income on this forum someplace where we can get a real idea how much it costs and what is needed to get where the membership wants to be?

I know I have no idea how much everything costs and what is needed for this club to function.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins176
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Thanks Tony, that is what I wanted to hear. I believe Glenn's comment about only racing there in 2010 may have been taken wrong.

With more info actually be available to the members, like the track rental fees and how much we lost at out some rounds. I think it is easier for people to see what is really going on.

Senior Member Expert
    A gentle fyi.... I've attended a couple of MRA general meetings this year. They're held every month and are open to anyone interested.

The financial issues now being worried over on the forum were detailed and discussed at those meetings. Since most of us (me included) don't regularly participate in the "boring" general meetings this is now coming as a surprise to many members. But the board has been discussing it openly, and working hard on it on our behalf, in the general meetings all year.

Please come to the next general meeting tomorrow night (Wednesday) at 7pm at The Walnut Room and let's all talk about how to get the club through the current situation.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

The information IS available to the members, for the asking.

I am uncomfortable posting specifics on the forums, however, as this is a PUBLIC forum - not just limited to MRA members. It is your right as a member to see the numbers and costs, but it is not "public" information to my knowledge.

We will have a good summary of the profit/loss per event at the General Meeting - and we will have detailed information available (hard copy to take with you) if you want it.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, please contact a rider-rep and they will forward the information to you after the meeting.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

+1000 on all the decisions the board has made to keep MY/OUR club afloat.

i raced almost a full season at pmp last year and would rather race a full season at hpr any day. hpr is one of the best and newest in the country. ppir is fun, but it ain't hpr! we are spoiled to have so many tracks so close. most folks either have one track in state or drive 5-10 hours to race.

i would much rather race an hour or two from home than either park the bikes (which is what most of would have to do) or drive 7-8+hours to the nearest track.
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Member Amateur
    Hmmmm it just so happens that I do not live close to Denver, hooray for you
    auzzy

Senior Member Amateur
    How is your avatar 83 times bigger than everyone elses???
    Sponsor: Visa Credit Card @ 11.9% APR! AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by auzzy
    Hmmmm it just so happens that I do not live close to Denver, hooray for you
    Very productive input Auzzy. However, the fact is that the vast majority of our riders (and potential spectators) DO live in greater Denver, so that's where we're gonna focus our efforts.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Member Amateur
    I do understand that as well Tony. However if anyone has ever seen the "posse" I bring to the races in Pueblo (where I do not live) not only are they people that want to get into racing but they are also the ones that have told me that nobody charged them a gate fee!! How do we let this happen? Better yet , how do we cure this issue? I know of atleast 20 people in the town of Pueblo that are Very interested in becoming a part of the MRA. What would happen if the majority of people were from Pueblo (btw I live 40 miles east ) Would there be a different tune?
    auzzy

Quote Originally Posted by auzzy
    I do understand that as well Tony. However if anyone has ever seen the "posse" I bring to the races in Pueblo (where I do not live) not only are they people that want to get into racing but they are also the ones that have told me that nobody charged them a gate fee!! How do we let this happen? Better yet , how do we cure this issue? I know of atleast 20 people in the town of Pueblo that are Very interested in becoming a part of the MRA. What would happen if the majority of people were from Pueblo (btw I live 40 miles east ) Would there be a different tune?
    How they're getting in without paying is beyond me - unless they're showing up before or after the security guys arrive.

Obviously if the majority of the racers lived in Pueblo, then we would be singing a different tune.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Member Amateur
    Damn, was actually back from Italy last night getting ready for PPIR this afternoon for this week-end and got on line to register for the race. It's too bad, but a sad reality of our economy. I'll be at the remaining HPR rounds. Sorry to hear about the problems. Being from COS we are in a excellent central location to take advantage of all our track, I'm in racing for the long haul.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast