Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PPIR rounds 7 and 11 canceled

Senior Member Amateur

?

I am left wondering how many people were waiting to enroll for PPIR still, we had computer issues before the last round and it has been down since Pueblo...is it possible we could have gotten enough to make it work this week? I for one was waiting for it to open up again...
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

I am not surprised by the decision of the board to cancel some races. At TrackAddix we decided to to drop the Great Plains CCS race series before the start of the season due to dwindling numbers and economic concerns. This is not unique to the MRA. I believe that the board is taking the necessary steps to see that the club will survive.

It is obvious from this forum that some of these decisions have caused concern. Many years ago I had the opportunity to help shape the club by being on the board for four years. Since there are a few positions that are up for reelection in November, if you are really an advocate for our club, this is certainly a way to make a big difference! I hope that many of you are thinking about running for these positions.

OK sorry if that was a bit preachy : )

On a side note, if you still want to get some track time and instruction, Jason Prodmore's Star School will be at HPR on July 13th and 14th. I went to this school last year in Hastings and it helped me to drop 1.5 seconds there. Jason teaches most of the classroom sessions himself and is really down to earth and approachable. I will be there both days. If you are curious about the school drop me a PM.

Mark Nudelman
    MRA #72

Member Amateur
    Jim Wilson, the board decided after the end of last season/beginning of this one when it was a topic of conversation at one of our last races based on the positive reaction everyone had to the question. Or do you not remember that? Of course I must add that my "whining tone" definitely IS my opinion. If I point out the obvious and others take offense to it then so be it but in all reality...... its the truth. Regardless of how you put it. Its not only on the forum that this is heard. Being as though I do what I do, I hear plenty and my opinion is solely based on the whining of others. I'll be happy no matter what the MRA does as long as its able to keep things going for everyone.

My whole point is to let those that have forgotten what the club wants to do. Remember that we need everyone here to help out and not leave something undone that may have a larger effect on the future of this club. I know the boards goals and decisions are in the best interest of the members---not themselves. And some times you need to step back to go forward.

glenngsxr
    I think everyone needs to calm down a bit and let's keep this civil. It's a tough decision and if the money is not there, then it ain't there. This is a really simple situation if you ask me. We are in a recession, which means people watch how much DISCRETIONARY spending they commit. Racing is most decidedly a discretionary spending sport. We do not need to get up in arms about anything. The recession(and the cut in # of races) will pass and membership will be up again and everything will be healthy. This is a cyclical event and we are at the bottom of the cycle. Nothing new. Let's cut races out. Let the club and members recoup a little $$$ and come back strong next year. If you want to pout and go do SUMO, be prepared to start the race with all 6 other people on the grid with you. Everyone is affected by the recession. Glenn #62

Mohammer Time! Expert
    "This is a cyclical event and we are at the bottom of the cycle."

Wow, do you have some stock tips as well? Or ideas on real estate?
    :shock:

glenngsxr
    Shannon,
    You are a funny one! Buy oil stocks, they are cheap right now and it will go back up, guaranteed. As for housing, I think we have seen bottom in the interest rates, but not prices.

On a serious note, we ALL know the economy is cyclical and it affects everyone, even racers. Glenn #62

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr
    Shannon,
    You are a funny one! Buy oil stocks, they are cheap right now and it will go back up, guaranteed. As for housing, I think we have seen bottom in the interest rates, but not prices.

On a serious note, we ALL know the economy is cyclical and it affects everyone, even racers. Glenn #62
    The economy is cyclical, but the ones who survive are the ones that take action when necessary. I see that the board is taking action, no question there.... but right now the board is simply being reactive and not proactive. The right steps are being taken to tighten the belt, now lets figure out how to be proactive and take steps in new directions. When the economy is bad, thinking WAYYY outside of the box becomes a necessity.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumBlend

The economy is cyclical, but the ones who survive are the ones that take action when necessary. I see that the board is taking action, no question there.... but right now the board is simply being reactive and not proactive. The right steps are being taken to tighten the belt, now lets figure out how to be proactive and take steps in new directions. When the economy is bad, thinking WAYYY outside of the box becomes a necessity.
    Will you be at the General meeting this Wednesday to The Walnut Room?
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277

Will you be at the General meeting this Wednesday to The Walnut Room?
    I'm not a member yet, is it ok if I come?

Senior Member Expert

I'm not a member yet, is it ok if I come?
    Yes... You are more than welcome to attend. Open to the public. You don't even have to be a motorcycle person to attend. 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Amateur

General Meeting

I'll be there Wednesday....as a noob I am just trying to figure out what the hell I have gotten into here!
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    The following in no way is against anything posted by the MRA Board; it is just an opinion:

The MRA's mission statement should be something of the following:

The Motorcycle Roadracing Association exists to sanction and operate amateur motorcycle racing events in and around the Rocky Mountain Region.

Note that no where in the above does it state the MRA's mission has anything to do with track or land ownership.

It is a perfectly valid viewpoint that "without the tracks, there is no MRA". It simply is not mine. I purchased my MRA racing license over the years to race motorcycles. Independent of the "how" or the "where" the racing is sanctioned, the overriding truth should be that racing is indeed sanctioned in some way, shape, or form.

I support how the Board chooses to operate the organization and continue the ability to provide racing events to its members. I do this because we all voted them into office.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    i guess it comes down to
    A: raise entry fees to balance out the poor attendance.
    or
    B: Cancel 2 ppir races.

after sleeping on it, i think id much rather have B. PPIR is a awesome track and all. but maybe next year not racing in hastings would help us save some $ for just a three venue season in 2010 (HPR,PPIR,PMP)

Member Novice

Support your Club

Greetings;
    I may not be the best communicator or inspirational speaker / motivator, however; I do know that if we allow to let the storms or finances or discourse to remain, we are defeated.
    My advise is; lets hang on to what we have, PROMOTE the balance of the season, give it the best of what we are made of, don't throw the towel in. We have too much invested in our own credibility, club and track. Sounds like a good sermon, NO, it's accountability! There is light at the end of the tunnel, I assure you! Quit looking at the storm, batten the hatches, come out fighting when the storm subsides! While the battle rages, we get discouraged, but in the end we win! Read the last chapter!

"Boots"
    Enjoy life fully, have no regrets. One day at a time.
    Send all mail to CBPR842@q.com or call 720-238-1539
    Thanks for 25 wonderful years of memories.. ♥

Has anyone considered dropping three races and leaving one race at PPIR and one at HPR?

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Has anyone considered dropping three races and leaving one race at PPIR and one at HPR?
    Cromer had a good idea a couple posts above. Drop Hastings all together (Hastings track owners will understand the current predicament and should have no problem with reentry in 2011) run 1 round @ PPIR, 5 - 6 rounds @ HPR and 2 - 3 rounds @ PMP.

I would rather race over and over at the same track vs. not racing at all.

I agree dropping Hastings for 2010 is a good idea. However, I was speaking of the current racing schedule.

Senior Member Amateur
    I agree dropping Hastings for 2010 is a good idea. However, I was speaking of the current racing schedule.
    Gotcha. Isn't it to late in the season to make adjustments like that though?

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    We're meeting as a Board tonight to discuss all of this, and there are many valid points being raised.

It's really pretty simple though:

Because of the abysmal turnout and race entries this year, THREE of our 6 events so far have lost money - BIG time! Even if it were VERY well attended, we would not be likely to make a profit at PPIR - because it (and Hastings) are the most expensive tracks for us to rent. At this point we need to do more than simply make a profit, we need to build some cushion back in.

Historically (like over the last 20 years) the best turnouts have been at the track nearest Denver, for obvious reasons, for both racers and spectators... Therefore HPR is the clear choice as far as the best possible turnout - regardless of "who owns it". Pueblo has historically been very good as well for racers (though not spectators)... but this past event showed us something very different. Round 6 at Pueblo had somewhat fewer than 90. The members also made it very clear that they didn't want to return to Hastings... as we had about 75 TOTAL entries for each day of the double header! Versus a normal turnout of between 120 & 150 riders. At about $220 per rider, you do the math... we're off a TON of money compared to what we're used to seeing.

It is the hope of the Board that by reducing the races on the schedule and holding the races nearer to the majority of our members (and population centers) we will have a better turnout and thusly generate more income.

Obviously MUCH more info to follow, and I highly encourage people to come to the General meeting on Wednesday. We can use all the strength of the members at this point to right the course and finish out with a good, solid 2009 race season!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    I have a question:

What is it about PPIR that some of you want to be there so badly?

1- is it just that it is a different track and layout? (only 1 mile long)

2- is it the garages?

3- is it the name/status (Pipe Peak INTERNATIONAL Raceway)?

Not that it will change the current Board's decision...... I'm just curious
    8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Expert
    dem garages make me feel like a G.

besides, i could hang my disco ball in der.

also, sub minute lap times makes you feel fast!

I have been racing in many different sports for a long time, with several types of originations, and even with different organizations competing for the same racers. So I have seen this sort of thing before.

Racers (in general) want to race as many tracks as possible. (the same reason most people who ski will ski several different resorts in a season, variety) The racing organization constrained by their budget, has to pick and chose the venues they can afford. This typically gives the races fewer track choices to race and so less of an interest in racing for that particular organization. With less racers interested, the organization has a smaller budget. And so on…

It seems to me if you are unable to afford the number of races you want to run at the tracks the racers want, then the first consideration as an organization would be the run fewer races at as many venues as you can. Reducing the cost for both you and the racers and keeping their interest in racing with you.

The second would be to raise the fees necessary to assure the organization can run the tracks the racers want.

And third would be cutting venues.

Senior Member Amateur
    I have been racing in many different sports for a long time, with several types of originations, and even with different organizations competing for the same racers. So I have seen this sort of thing before.

Racers (in general) want to race as many tracks as possible. (the same reason most people who ski will ski several different resorts in a season, variety) The racing organization constrained by their budget, has to pick and chose the venues they can afford. This typically gives the races fewer track choices to race and so less of an interest in racing for that particular organization. With less racers interested, the organization has a smaller budget. And so on…

It seems to me if you are unable to afford the number of races you want to run at the tracks the racers want, then the first consideration as an organization would be the run fewer races at as many venues as you can. Reducing the cost for both you and the racers and keeping their interest in racing with you.

The second would be to raise the fees necessary to assure the organization can run the tracks the racers want.

I would rather race HPR 10 rounds vs racing HPR 1 round, PMP 1 round, PPIR 1 round, Hastings 1 round.

I agree with you that variety is key, but for me just being on the bike going around the track and getting lapped by Cromer would be more fun 10 times than only 5 @ different Venues.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

Good logic, but it's already a bit too late to do #1 (and we lost our a$$es at Hastings anyway...) and anything less than a record turnout at PPIR would END the season for everyone (which isn't a chance we're willing to take). #2 isn't feasible as people are already complaining about the cost to race. What's behind door #3 looks to be our best option at this point in the season.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

I just wanna go fast...GOT ASPHALT - WILL TRAVEL
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast