Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PPIR rounds 7 and 11 canceled

Senior Member Expert

PPIR rounds 7 and 11 canceled

All,

Due to declining entry numbers the board has decided to cancel rounds 7 and 11 at PPIR. We simply cannot afford to race at this venue given the revenues we have brought in from the last three races. The three remaining HPR rounds will go on as scheduled. This will leave us with a 9 race season.

We will try to notify the entire club in every way possible in the next week, but please communicate this news to anyone that you think may not get the message.

Glenn
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Amateur
    :cry:
    Ed Duenez
    The Chicken ass KICKER!!!

RED FORCE RACING

Pinewood Wall Systems, LLC. MOTO GARAGE, SCOTT JENSEN,TRI-CITY CYCLE,

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Any chance we pick up a race at Pueblo or High Plains on the same dates?

Senior Member Expert
    Couldn't we have cancelled an HPR event in order to save one of the PPIR rounds?

+1 for picking up another round somewhere else.
    Casey D

Junior Member Novice
    I second a race at PMP
    2008 Novice 1000 Champ
    2008 Novice Open Champ
    2008 Novice GTO Champ
    2008 Formula Femme Champ
    2008 WoW Series Champ
    2009 Formula Femme Champ
    2009 WoW Champ
    2009 AM GTO Champ
    3rd Expert 1000
    4th Open Superbike
    I'd rather live my life trusting there's a God and die to find out there isn't. Then to live my life trusting there isn't a God a die to find out there is.

Senior Member Expert
    I believe that the costs of HPR are significantly less than Pueblo or PPIR, so although it's abummer (I really want to go back to PPIR after last year), I think it is the most prudent thing to do. Gotta love this recession, but I have hope that that will change.
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Expert
    There will not be any races added to the schedule.

The club has lost a lot of money this season due to declining entries. Hastings and the most recent Pueblo were abysmal. We need to get our participation numbers UP. If people are already skipping races for financial reasons, adding races to the schedule won't help the problem. By cutting the remainder of the schedule to 3 races instead of 5 we are hopeful that more people will enter and it will help the club financially.

Another reason we won't add races at other venues is that because the MRA is a part owner of HPR one of our main concerns is to make sure HPR stays in good financial shape. If keeping both the club and the track afloat means that we go to a shorter season and only race at HPR in 2010, that's what we'll do.

We'll post more after the board meeting monday night.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Member Amateur
    if thats the case then count me out
    auzzy

Member Amateur
    Darn! I might have made Pueblo if this had come around earlier. Now I'm down two race weekends w/MRA

Well, get to pick up another lapping day then!
    '07 APRILIA RSVR
    '07 HONDA
    KomodoGear
    RhinoMoto
    Galfer

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by auzzy
    if thats the case then count me out

WTF Auzzy your not goin anywhere we have a score to settle fool!

Bummer PPIR will not be raced but I would rather have the club at a good financial standing at the end of this year so it wont negatively effect what happens next year.

Senior Member Amateur
    I think it is in best interest to keep the club in good financial standing. It is a shame if the we have to go to the HPRMA next season as one of the draws to the MRA for me was the ability to go to different tracks.

If the MRA does go to only HPR next year, would it make financial since to keep running HPR and MRA as two seperate businesses? It seems the best business desicion would be to have HPR have its own race series. That would be profitable for HPR, but it seems MRA would demise. Sorry I am rambling, I don't want to see the club only race at one track, but if it does it seems the MRA would be absorded by HPR.

Thoughts...

Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins176
    I don't want to see the club only race at one track, but if it does it seems the MRA would be absorded by HPR.

Thoughts...
    Well even if the MRA only raced at only HPR next season. I don't see it staying that way forever. I mean look at last season it was only PMI and Hastings. Then got lucky with ending the season at PPIR know one was expecting that to happen.
    By the way I CAN'T SPELL

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins176
    I think it is in best interest to keep the club in good financial standing. It is a shame if the we have to go to the HPRMA next season as one of the draws to the MRA for me was the ability to go to different tracks.

If the MRA does go to only HPR next year, would it make financial since to keep running HPR and MRA as two seperate businesses? It seems the best business desicion would be to have HPR have its own race series. That would be profitable for HPR, but it seems MRA would demise. Sorry I am rambling, I don't want to see the club only race at one track, but if it does it seems the MRA would be absorded by HPR.

Thoughts...

It would suck to run only one track but HPR does have different configs to run as well.

Another thing to think about is... are the entry fees for races going to go up as well. Also when HPR gets the facilities everybody wants, like showers and restrooms will the rental fee have a huge hike in price because of the up keep and water bills.

There are alot of things to take into account when dealing with a safe financial move for the MRA and I hope the MRA board members make the move in the right direction so we dont have an cancellations mid season next year or a 1 track only series.

I dont want to have to resort in going to other race clubs next year to race all summer.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO

Another reason we won't add races at other venues is that because the MRA is a part owner of HPR one of our main concerns is to make sure HPR stays in good financial shape. If keeping both the club and the track afloat means that we go to a shorter season and only race at HPR in 2010, that's what we'll do.
    It is important to remember that the MRA's responsiblity is to keep the MRA afloat. I understand that the MRA and its members are highly invested in HPR. However any investment comes with inherent risks. As such, it is my opinion that the two organizations need to be run as separate organizations. Should the MRA, in its efforts to keep the MRA solvent, decided to utilize HPR to a great extent then so be it.

With that said I think only racing HPR now and in the future will be doing a great disservice to the members of this club.
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jplracing
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO

It is important to remember that the MRA's responsiblity is to keep the MRA afloat. I understand that the MRA and its members are highly invested in HPR. However any investment comes with inherent risks. As such, it is my opinion that the two organizations need to be run as separate organizations. Should the MRA, in its efforts to keep the MRA solvent, decided to utilize HPR to a great extent then so be it.

With that said I think only racing HPR now and in the future will be doing a great disservice to the members of this club.
    To the contrary, the disservice would be doing things that negatively effect the feasibility of the club and/or the track. The clubs cannot survive w/o HPR and HPR cannot survive if the clubs start going out of business. While it may not be as enjoyable, a series running only HPR may be the only way to save the club. Obviously there are not enough people out there that can run an 11 race season (or maybe even a 9 race season) to keep the club profitable. I say that because, frankly, right now the club is in serious financial trouble and we are going to have make even more changes to insure our survival. When less than 80 people show up at Hastings and less than 90 at Pueblo, we lose enormous amounts of money (>$20,000 loss at MPH, >$10,000 loss at Pueblo), and the events that have been in the black haven't been barnburners from an income standpoint. This isn't something we're doing because we think it's a neat idea.

In order to keep participation numbers up high enough to have events in the black we may have to trim it back to a 6-8 race series next year, and we should run as many of them as possible at HPR. If your family owns a grocery store, you do your shopping there, don't you? Of course you do - it's cheaper for you and it also helps your own store stay open. You may also shop at other stores occasionally but if your food budget gets cut in half, you shouldn't continue to shop at other stores while neglecting your own.

Have we already gotten so spoiled that the idea of only racing at the newest and best track in the region is so awful?
    The GECCO

Senior Member Expert
    well if the MRA's "Survival plan" fails, then im sellin my shit and goin sumo racin.
    cuz we all know its cheaper, and probly more fun than finding out the $$ we spent on goin 7hours to some craptastic track could have been avoided. then we coulda still ran at PPIR, cuz dem garages are pimp.

anyway, so i suppose there is an open trackday at hpr instead?

Senior Member Expert
    oh yeah! Mile High Nationals?!?!

Senior Member Expert
    First I understand arguing on the internet is kind of pointless.

However, I think my point was missed. The MRA is a separate organization from HPR, on paper, as a organization filed with the state, and (I assume) separate returns to the IRS. Therefore, it is a separate entity and should be governed as such. Thus my comment that the MRA has the responsiblity of keeping the MRA solvent and should not put HPR's profitablity above the MRA's or the needs of its members

With that said I am in full agreement that if HPR is a portion of the solution, by all means we should use every avenue available to us. I also assume that the discussion by the board will also include ways to increase both rider participation as well as spectator revenue.

However, we are not individual owners of HPR. If we were, we would be receiving quarterly financial statements and dividends showing our return on our investment. In fact I am a member of a organization that chose to invest in the construction of the new track (a decision I agree with). As a member of the MRA and not HPR, my expectations are that the MRA's well being will be prioritized before HPR's. While HPR is a nice facility, and I will enjoy racing there in the future, I also have expectations of a variety of venues and the MRA putting the needs of motorcycle racing and racers ahead of the needs of one track.
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    What I see is this/ We are in a world of d**d** with regards money. In order to stay solvent, we may have to pare(sic) down a bit for one or twseasons, to ride out the economic downturn. Let's face it, racing costs money, and few of us have much to spare.

I would like to race HPR, MPH, PIR, PMR, and whatever else is around, but I'm off over 60% income from recent times(Yes, independant flooring contractor), and I have to make the best of the times. If it comes down to it, I would much rather have our board face the difficulty of re-entering tracks after a year(or more) off, than have no board, club, etc, next year. Sux, to be sure, but a small club beats no club.

Crap, I need/want a beer, and a shock spanner, so I can do suspension work(harboring the fantasy that I can ride the SV nearly as well as I simply hang on to the KTM).

Hope to see you all at the next round. Be careful, gang, and have as much fun as we can afford.

Fred
    Fred SpongeButt Slowpants Roth
    MRA811
    I may be old, I may be slow, but..... aw rats, I'm old and slow.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by jplracing
    As a member of the MRA and not HPR, my expectations are that the MRA's well being will be prioritized before HPR's. . . I also have expectations of a variety of venues and the MRA putting the needs of motorcycle racing and racers ahead of the needs of one track.
    \/
    '13 BMW S1000RR
    '06 GSXR 750 #686. Sold

Member Amateur

Good call Glenn.

Wah Wah Wah!!! Gee, I would think that the decision made to cancel a couple races would be supported a bit easier than it is. And to boot alot haven't even said anything yet. SUMO RACING?? Please.

Lets point out some facts shall we?

1. We all voted on 11 races because we all said we would go. At that time the MRA saw it would be a benifit.

Did that mean only the top 10 contenders would attend all these races and keep the MRA in a better financial state? Think not!!!

2. The lack of participants to these recent races has seriously affected that decision thus leaving it to a 9 race season anyway.

We had a 9 race season before didn't we? Hmmm.

3. The club seems to be "paying" for everything it seems.

Where's our volunteers we "really" need to put money back into the club? What are the members/racers really doing? Board members excluded of course. No one really does anything much.

4. The economy sucks right now and it affects everything.

Why are we bitchin about this anyway?

Heres the way I see this:

We chose to have 11 races because everyone wanted that. We all said we would attend. It didn't happen. Now that the board recognized a problem their trying to correct it. If we the members/racers did more and got more people out to the races this wouldn't be happening. If we volunteered more of our time to the club we would have more in the bank and less to pay out this may not be happening. When I'm at the races I see no one that races out on the track helpin out. Just people bitchin about why our turnout is so low. Too many people are out for themselves and not looking at the big picture:

I want to race and what ever decision the board makes to keep me doing that I'm fine with. AND SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE!!!!
    Its suppose to be fun right? Its disappointing to see some of what is being said already and unfortunate those individuals feel that way. Those are the ones that don't care much for the club and only about what they think. I for one do and will do what I can if/when that time comes. In the mean time I support the club. 100%

To the rest of you that want to Bitch? Where is your help and support? If not, at least be understanding to the reasons behind this. Be glad we are racing at all. Not about poor little 'ol you.

Rick Grosse #20

Senior Member Expert
    IMO HPR is the best track we've ever had in this state--I love racing there! It'll be even better when I have a permanent structure to pee in!!

How bout attending the Wednesday night MRA meeting at The Walnut Room 7pm to discuss how to support and maintain our great club. Whatever the current obstacles I want to see the MRA thrive.
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    IMO HPR is the best track we've ever had in this state--I love racing there! It'll be even better when I have a permanent structure to pee in!!

How bout attending the Wednesday night MRA meeting at The Walnut Room 7pm to discuss how to support and maintain our great club. Whatever the current obstacles I want to see the MRA thrive.
    I will be there 8)

President Expert
    Sorry Wyeth I am hosting bike night again Wednesday or I would definately be at the MRA meeting. We had about 250 show up at the last event and it would be great if we had some kind of media or flyers promoting the MRA and HPR to distibute in order generate more spectators and possible new racers.

Rick Grosse- this thread contains alot of replies of MRA members voicing their opinions on a major issue of which they are entitled to do so. There is no reason to slam them with your "Wah Wah Wah!!!" After reading through these, the only reply that has a whining tone to it is yours. There is no reason to attack anyone on here because they state they are gonna go race super moto instead. And when did the members vote on an 11 race season? Don't get me wrong, I actually am in complete support of it but I believe the schedule was a board decision. I think we can keep this thread going with alot of civil responses and good opinions.

I support the MRA and I support HPR. I want to see both entities survive. I agree with Glenn's statement that the MRA needs HPR in order to do so. But I also agree with Joe Logalbo's position that the MRA needs to remain a seperate entity and that its financial stability should be the priority of the board and members.

Member Amateur
    HPR is a dream come true for all of us. We each have an opinion and hope that it is heard.

With that as a new racer in the MRA, I'd like to ask all of you how much losing other tracks would cost us all in the end because we choose to only race at HPR?

I understand the point of view that HPR is a club track and needs to be supported. However, the MRA is not just a one track organization. Most racers I know of would prefer to race on a variety of tracks throughout a season.

MRA is an organization of racers. HPR is a racing facility that is used by our organization of racers. If we sell ourselves to one track, we will kick ourselves in our own asses in due time.

Pueblo is not my first option for a race. And Hastings is a heck of a long way on my serious budget. However, Pueblo and Hastings have been incredible, WONDERFUL, and over-extending to our organization. We need to keep these tracks alive and see if they can work with our budget. After all, isnt even Pueblo cheaper than running at HPR? If cost is a factor, was this reviewed as a group?

In addition, if PPIR is so expensive, why not race there once and cut an HPR race? Advantage to this, would be we could still be at a track that most racers would prefer. PPIR is very much sought after this season for a group of us.

The next meeting really needs to have as many racers show up and voice their opinions on this.
    '07 APRILIA RSVR
    '07 HONDA
    KomodoGear
    RhinoMoto
    Galfer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast