Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it True?

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Fixed costs won't change just because we hold a "SALE" on entry fees.

Track Rental, cornerworker pay, insurance, security, admin and support staff pay, gate worker pay, ambulance fees, etc, etc, etc.. are all the same regardless of whether 1 or 100 show up. And they have ALL gone up considerably over the past 5 years.

We'd have to see an increase in entries well IN EXCESS of the reduction in fees to make it worthwhile. If we reduced entry fees 50%, would twice as many people show up? My experience says no.

The harsh reality is that either you can afford to race, or you can't. This is why I've taken 6 of the past 20 years "off" from racing, and a big part of why I'm not racing "at all" this year.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Tony well the club start doing anything at all to draw spectators? Maybe the club can do some PR campaigns or even some marketing. Has that been on the table?

Spectators are free money, I understand one spectator had a bike land in his lap, but there still has to be a way to draw the spectators and keep them safe.

Take a look at the Friday night drags in Pueblo. The entire town was there to watch Ford Explorers race each other. Why can't we draw a crowd like that to watch our ROR?????

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins176
    Tony well the club start doing anything at all to draw spectators? Maybe the club can do some PR campaigns or even some marketing. Has that been on the table?

Spectators are free money, I understand one spectator had a bike land in his lap, but there still has to be a way to draw the spectators and keep them safe.

Take a look at the Friday night drags in Pueblo. The entire town was there to watch Ford Explorers race each other. Why can't we draw a crowd like that to watch our ROR?????
    I was thinking the same thing earlier. Radio stations are HUGE advertising buzz spots, can't the MRA hook up with a local radio station down in Pueblo and get an event organized? I love doing advertising stuff, it's fun... I'd be willing to donate my time to help get things going like that.

There's an ENTIRE forum heading on PR Committe actions and events.

Here's the TOTAL activity in 2009:

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=7834

Pathetic, no? :-(0)

This is a recurrent theme (oh god, please don't get me started...) on how "the club" should do this and "the club" should do that - but ultimately it ends up that 2-3 people actually volunteer to do something and they burn out.

There are over 200 MEMBERS of this club, all with equal rights (and responsibilities) to direct the club, grow the club, attract spectators, attract sponsors, etc... And every year about 3 people step up. The rest sit back and do absolutely nothing, and then complain when things don't go as "they had envisioned".

I'm not suggesting that's what you're doing here - I'm just saying that's how it's gone historically.

Today, right now, we have exactly NOT ONE RED CENT to spend on PR, marketing, advertising, flyers, gas money, etc, etc, etc... Every penny we have will go towards track rental, insurance, etc to run the last 3 events and hope to GOD we have a good turnout by the racers.

If anyone in the membership would like to kick down a budget and put together a PR campaign to ensure that the last 3 events are "off the hook" then please come forward. No, I'm not being a smarta$$ - I'm dead serious. If ever there was an appropriate time to do that - it is NOW!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    In the past we have tried implementing a PR comity, and it seems as though a lot of people are all about it, but then there is very little or no follow up. Especially once everyone gets busy with racing. There is a PR/Marketing page if you'd like to see what was attempted in the past. Maybe you can help get some things going.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=18

Last season it started with a bang, but quickly died off. Here's how far it got this year.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=7834
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Tony beat me to it! :lol: 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    I type faster than you!
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    I type faster than you!
    :roll: I was busy on Facebook! 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Amateur
    I could see how some people get burnt out on it.

I'll see you guys Wednesday and lets brainstorm some idear's to make the last 3 races "off the hook" fo sheezie!!

glenngsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by PremiumBlend

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Radio stations are HUGE advertising buzz spots, can't the MRA hook up with a local radio station down in Pueblo and get an event organized? I love doing advertising stuff, it's fun... I'd be willing to donate my time to help get things going like that.
    This has been done in the past year or so. Everyone was so excited to get some PR going, but at the end of the day, it was only a handful of us doing anything. Print advertising is actually pretty expensive and had minimal impact. In addition, I think there are other factors that limit spectator turnout. Besides HPR being still worked on, nobody wants to pay $10 per person to watch club racing. There is no shade in Pueblo and the stands are completely terrible. The cafe is great and parking is easy though. To get fans in the gate, you need to put on a show, not just a race. Although GP "racing" has gotten rather boring, people are still in love with it because of the show. Unfortunately, to put on a show and have amenities costs $$$. Glenn #62

Senior Member Amateur
    Both of those links are dead. Sorry I am a FNG, did not know there was an effort. I would be willing to volunteer to help out, but did not know there was a cordinated effort. Let me know what is needed. Typically PR should be free though.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr

This has been done in the past year or so. Everyone was so excited to get some PR going, but at the end of the day, it was only a handful of us doing anything. Print advertising is actually pretty expensive and had minimal impact. In addition, I think there are other factors that limit spectator turnout. Besides HPR being still worked on, nobody wants to pay $10 per person to watch club racing. There is no shade in Pueblo and the stands are completely terrible. The cafe is great and parking is easy though. To get fans in the gate, you need to put on a show, not just a race. Although GP "racing" has gotten rather boring, people are still in love with it because of the show. Unfortunately, to put on a show and have amenities costs $$$. Glenn #62
    Print ads are a way of the past, you have to go high tech. Virtual advertising is the new way and it's almost COMPLETELY free. The key to virtual advertising is tapping into what people want and entertain them. How do you entertain them? There are about 100 ways to do free stuff @ the track to promote spectators without having to take out HUGE print ads and what-have-you.

glenngsxr
    Both of those links are dead. Sorry I am a FNG, did not know there was an effort. I would be willing to volunteer to help out, but did not know there was a cordinated effort. Let me know what is needed. Typically PR should be free though.
    Good PR is the best way to do it and typically not free. I will try to be at the meeting Wed. night to throw some ideas out, but I live in the springs so its quite a drive.

For the board, do the gate folks provide data on attendance for us? If so, may I see it? Glenn #62

glenngsxr

Print ads are a way of the past, you have to go high tech. Virtual advertising is the new way and it's almost COMPLETELY free. The key to virtual advertising is tapping into what people want and entertain them. How do you entertain them? There are about 100 ways to do free stuff @ the track to promote spectators without having to take out HUGE print ads and what-have-you.
    The problem is not entertainment once they are at the track, it's getting them TO the track. Throw some ideas out there. We would love to hear them. Glenn #62

Yes, we have gate figures. Contact Lisa and she can get them to you.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Amateur
    KBPI does appearances for bike nights and such. The idea of promoting a new track and the tight wheel to wheel racing of Brad and Shane in ROR would probably interest many radio stations. See if a radio station can do a bike night, and promote the racing through that, then show up HPR and broadcast from there...

When I was a kid and racing BMX we were pretty quick to get local newspaper reporters there. Maybe get somebody from Denver Newspaper Agency come do a story at the next race?? That should be a good public opinion section.

Give a way some free gate entry for two by raffle at the next bike night. Surely two people will bring two more. Plus that would be free PR during the bike night.

Give a way some coupons for the roach coach at a bike night.

Give street riders a parade lap of HPR before ROR race on Sunday, and advertise that on the message boards.

Get some street riders to organize a ride from a designated spot in Denver to HPR to watch the races.

Local TV stations can do stories on our races. I see stories for the local curling championship; surely a TV station would like to do a story of us racers.

Give me a few more minutes, I will think of some more. BTW all of those should be very little if any money.

Senior Member Amateur
    I've got a BAZILLIAN ideas man, I'm young and full of piss & vinegar so ambition is not an issue!

Here's a quick and relatively free idea... swap meets. I used to go to Bandimere all of the time for swap meets. Getting a very diverse group of parts available would be key. Not just rockets, but cruisers and hogs alike. Just like anywhere else, to setup a booth it would cost $XX.... gate entry is free if you are setting up a booth. If you are there to shop you pay normal gate price and that gives you full access to the Swap Meet and Pit Access. Maybe even throw in a free Fountain Drink or bottle of water with your Gate Fee. If you race, bring something to sell. Promote this from Fort Collins to Pueblo. (Either HPR or PMP)

I don't know about you guys, but hassling with shipping and crap like that is a pain, I'm willing to drive a couple of hours to an organized swap meet for BIKES only to try and find the parts I'm looking for.

Get a place like Steele's Motorcycle Salvage yard who could bring tons of stuff to the table would be nice. I know of guys in Pueblo that love shopping @ Steele's but HATE paying the shipping prices.... well, lets bring Steele's to them.

Again, just another idea that I'm brainstorming.... don't know if it's been done with any success or not but it's worth a shot.

Senior Member Amateur
    KBPI does appearances for bike nights and such. The idea of promoting a new track and the tight wheel to wheel racing of Brad and Shane in ROR would probably interest many radio stations. See if a radio station can do a bike night, and promote the racing through that, then show up HPR and broadcast from there...

When I was a kid and racing BMX we were pretty quick to get local newspaper reporters there. Maybe get somebody from Denver Newspaper Agency come do a story at the next race?? That should be a good public opinion section.

Give a way some free gate entry for two by raffle at the next bike night. Surely two people will bring two more. Plus that would be free PR during the bike night.

Give a way some coupons for the roach coach at a bike night.

Give street riders a parade lap of HPR before ROR race on Sunday, and advertise that on the message boards.

Get some street riders to organize a ride from a designated spot in Denver to HPR to watch the races.

Local TV stations can do stories on our races. I see stories for the local curling championship; surely a TV station would like to do a story of us racers.

Give me a few more minutes, I will think of some more. BTW all of those should be very little if any money.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    If anyone in the membership would like to kick down a budget and put together a PR campaign to ensure that the last 3 events are "off the hook" then please come forward. No, I'm not being a smarta$$ - I'm dead serious. If ever there was an appropriate time to do that - it is NOW!
    I stepped forward last season and created a flyer and printed them-
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...ight=mra+flyer I contacted the PR committee twice before this season started in regards to creating another for this season and I did not receive a response. I will create another for the remaining 3 HPR races if the board is okay with that.

In the past we have tried implementing a PR comity, and it seems as though a lot of people are all about it, but then there is very little or no follow up. Especially once everyone gets busy with racing. There is a PR/Marketing page if you'd like to see what was attempted in the past. Maybe you can help get some things going.
    I have been all about it and never received an acknowledgement. See above, I will gladly put some time towards it again.

I disagree. When your audience is customers at bike shops, or at bike events, or other sporting events, you need something to physically put in their hands to take with them. That combined with virtual advertising is a good start. I distribute about 200 flyers every other week on top of setting up facebook and myspace events and an email distribution list.

The problem is not entertainment once they are at the track, it's getting them TO the track. Throw some ideas out there. We would love to hear them. Glenn #62
    Bingo! Spectators are not coming to watch the MRA not because its boring nor great entertainment, they don't come because they dont know about it. Give them reason to come. Some may not like but I believe alot would get hooked on it just like I did 7 years ago as did the rest of us at one point.

KBPI charges for these promotional events. I did one with them last year at Dave & Busters and fortunately Yamaha picked up the tab. I approached KBPI and 103.5 The Fox this year about doing a promotion and the cost was too high for the sponsors of my events to cover so I doubt the MRA will be able to afford it either.

Senior Member Expert
    I agree with Jim that people need to have something in there hand

Since Tony has stated there isn't any money to print flyers....Rebellion will toss in $100.00 towards the cause

Obviously the MRA needs to allow the use of there logo, which may have been a problem in the past...can someone comment?

Jim, I will contact you about getting the money to the flyer effort

Anyone else willing to toss in some money to try and draw more people?

Joe
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by jplracing

Since Tony has stated there isn't any money to print flyers....Rebellion will toss in $100.00 towards the cause

Obviously the MRA needs to allow the use of there logo, which may have been a problem in the past...can someone comment?

Joe
    From here on, anyone that has any ideas should write these down and bring them to the Walnut Room on Wed. night. If you can't make it Wed night then lets find a way to get our ideas in the right hands.

This isn't directed at you, just quoting your suggestion and willingness to lend a hand.

Senior Member Expert
    You should start a new thread on the PR page....... 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Expert
    Jeff are you talking to me or Priemumblend?
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

President Expert
    You should start a new thread on the PR page....... 8)
    If thats directed at me, I unfortunately have never had access to the PR page on this forum.

From here on, anyone that has any ideas should write these down and bring them to the Walnut Room on Wed. night. If you can't make it Wed night then lets find a way to get our ideas in the right hands.

This isn't directed at you, just quoting your suggestion and willingness to lend a hand.
    Sorry cant make it. Got 200+ people showing up at bike night on Wednesday. 8)

Joe
    I'll see if I can get something put together before Wednesdays meeting that you can take with you.

Senior Member Expert
    Jeff are you talking to me or Priemumblend?
    I opened a new one.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=8966

8)
    Jeff Brown, #277

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast